Early Partridge Season Review

dualsetter

Early Partridge Season Review

Post by dualsetter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:59 pm

It has been awhile since I have contributed here, good to see the site is firing on all cylinders. I've been meaning to share some pics of my early season grouse hunts here in central, NY but time has been tough to come by this season. Cedar and I have managed to spend 17 hours afield, flushing 26 ruffies which averages out to 1.5 birds per hour, a little shy of our 5 year average of 1.8. Of the 26 birds I harvested 1 :D The woodcock flights here have been dismal at best which seems to be the trend from Maine clear through southern New England. If any of you have been out chasing woodcock I would love to hear how you are making out this season.
Here are a few pics from my most memorable hunts the past six weeks...
On the run...
Heading into "Apple Bottom
Goooood boy!
"Purgatory" covert..
Ear scratch...
Cellar hole:
On point, all business!
Fruit of our labor:
Have a safe and productive season everyone!
Cheers,
Dave

Max2

Re: Early Partridge Season Review

Post by Max2 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:39 am

Hey I see some familiar looking coverts there :D I will PM you to see if I was correct. To answer your question we were shooting W/C early on and I believe them to be local no flight birds. I did help out a couple other folks with finding birds and one harvested a couple birds in my recommended areas & the other person i never heard back from. I do realize a lot of folks especially NY'ers don't talk their business during the season. myself included. :D Check your pm