The West & the Mid West

Tooling

The West & the Mid West

Post by Tooling » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:57 am

Just got back from the Pacific NW - unfortunately too early to hunt but just being there is always rewarding enough!

Spent a lot of time along the Columbia & Kettle Rivers north of Spokane - put up some coveys of mountain quail..large coveys w/20-30+ birds per : )

Some locals told me they have seen a fair number of Pheasant over & beyond Sherman pass - this was surprising to hear and we didn't see any, but that doesn't mean much.

Also happened upon a fair number of Blue Grouse/Forest Grouse - they sure are some dumb birds!

Drove around Couer d'Alene entirely and Lake Pend Orielle in ID - a lot of nice countryside but didn't kick any grass so no bird report for those areas.

~

Heading west again to South Dakota w/the dog in mid Nov for a nice trip for just shy of 2 weeks. Should give us plenty of time to hunt the NE region (Pheasant of course) but will also afford some time to head to the grasslands in the middle to western region. Any tips for Sharptail/Prairie Chickens? Long shots typical or will they hold for the dog affording a kicked flush? I've read they are rather spooky..

Some regional guidance to where Quail may be found would be greatly appreciated as well.

Wyobio

Re: The West & the Mid West

Post by Wyobio » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Sounds like you got into lots of birds. You were seeing valley quail (California quail), mountain quail are very rare in Washington.

I prefer to think of the mountain grouse of the west as naive :) I hunt pointers over ruffs and blues in Wyoming and they all have seen absolutely no pressure. I have hunted 20 years without running into another bird hunter in the mountains. They prefer to run and hide (OK poke their head behind a tree) than flush. You can have fine sport with a pointing dog, but it can get pretty comical when they land in a tree before you can get off a shot! a strong arm for throwing rocks and sticks to get them to fly is helpful. There are lot birds around for sure this year.

Grouse season opens September 1 out there by the way....

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:53 am

Thank you for pointing out the distinction between true Mountain Quail and California Quail - you are right, I was bumping California Quail. Can't say that I've ever seen a Mountain Quail in the short periods of time I've been west..after reviewing photos it should make identification pretty easy in the future so, thanks again.

Saw tons of CQ down around Tahoe on the NV side about 3 yrs ago..

Naive is a great way to put it with respect to the Grouse we encountered - put up quite a few in grasses but also saw a good number of them along logging roads. Of course I was asking around a lot and everybody was positive on the Quail and pretty dismissive regarding the Grouse as it relates to hunting. Your experience sounds pretty consistent w/that...perhaps that's why there seems to be a healthy population of them in those areas so that's a good thing.

Although comments toward Quail were positive it didn't seem as though there were too many people compelled to actually hunt for them actively...also maybe a good thing. If I lived there I think I'd be pretty selective about my shots (much to my dogs dismay..lol) and more than happy to leave the area w/out filling the bag to the brim...it is a nice resource and the area is just gorgeous. One of the things that I was pleased to take notice - I have a pair of Nephews over there and as such met a lot of their friends who are in their late twenties/early thirties - all deer hunters and all black gun lovers - the mention of going on a Quail hunt lit all of their eyes up with excitement and you could just tell that they would love to spend a day kicking the grass - but none of them do it. It seems like they have nobody into it enough to get them into a field. I chomp at the bit for the day I am able to live there again and introduce the boys who are now young men to Upland hunting w/great dogs in a meaningful way...as most here know, it really is a beautiful and amazingly rewarding thing.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

...I've had liberated Chukars & Quail land in a tree while training...that moment you find yourself throwing rocks and sticks at them to flush while cussing & holding your s-gun in the other hand does make a fella' stop and think...lol

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:11 pm

The other thing about grouse in the west is that their populations make huge swings. Years like this they seem to be everywhere, and if they were like that all the time, they would be hunted more.

There are dedicated quail hunters, but because their numbers go from near 0 to seemingly unlimited, they don't get the consistent pressure. When they are abundant, shooting a limit of 10 will not make much of a difference in the long term population trends. Those days when you can break up a covey and pick off singles in the sage brush over a pointer stick in your memory.