North Dakota PLOTS

RichK

North Dakota PLOTS

Post by RichK » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:54 pm

I am going to head out to ND in October and plan to hunt PLOTS land.

Anyone able to recommend any specific areas or towns to operate out of for five days of hunting?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: North Dakota PLOTS

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Rich,

I don't have an specifics, but I do hear from Jon Hann (Perfection Kennels) that the birds are in good numbers in the Dakotas this year - at least that's what he's seeing at Summer Camp.

Elsa

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:10 pm

That's good to hear. I still have time to plan the details but need to find a solid town to base camp out of.

I'd prefer not to be fighting hunters off to get space.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:42 am

If you're near the oil country you're going to have a mighty tough time finding a motel room. Not from hunter numbers but from the oil field workers. We get reservations well in advance when we go out. You have to contend with oil workers, road construction gangs, construction gangs and hunters.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:59 am

ditto gonehuntin, I just got back last week from a hockey camp in Minot. Hotel rooms were full of oil workers and construction workers. And we were 100 miles east of the major activity zone.

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:07 am

gonehuntin' wrote:If you're near the oil country you're going to have a mighty tough time finding a motel room. Not from hunter numbers but from the oil field workers. We get reservations well in advance when we go out. You have to contend with oil workers, road construction gangs, construction gangs and hunters.
Any areas with solid bird numbers that isn't hit as hard by the construction/oil industry?

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 am

Not to pile on with the negative posts, but I would suspect you are way too late to find a hotel room in ND during October. We rent a house in November, but most are taken by long time clients that reserve year after year. Even before the oil boom the first few weeks of pheasant season were booked 6 months in advance.

Plots acreage has decreased quite a bit over past few years, and there is quite a bit more posted land since the oil boom. Talking to the locals, this is primarily due to transient oil workers squatting on and trashing their land. If you can find and contact landowners, many will let you make a pass through....

I too have heard of very good bird numbers.

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 am

Wyobio wrote:Not to pile on with the negative posts, but I would suspect you are way too late to find a hotel room in ND during October. We rent a house in November, but most are taken by long time clients that reserve year after year. Even before the oil boom the first few weeks of pheasant season were booked 6 months in advance.

Plots acreage has decreased quite a bit over past few years, and there is quite a bit more posted land since the oil boom. Talking to the locals, this is primarily due to transient oil workers squatting on and trashing their land. If you can find and contact landowners, many will let you make a pass through....

I too have heard of very good bird numbers.

Is SD a better choice for public land pheasant?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:02 pm

I haven't heard anything specific this year, but have you looked into staying in Jamestown or Valley City and then hunting the Ellendale/Oakes area?
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:I haven't heard anything specific this year, but have you looked into staying in Jamestown or Valley City and then hunting the Ellendale/Oakes area?
Actually, I think this is what I am going to do. I spoke with an associate of mine from SE ND and he mentioned I check out the Milnor area for hunting. As of now this is my plan.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:27 pm

You should be successful with that plan. Good luck!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Remember, non residents can not hunt the plots grounds during opening week of pheasant season in ND, plots is for residents only during opening week of phez season. Good luck on your trip :D . I've usually hunt the far SW corner of ND and have pretty good luck there.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:56 pm

deseeker wrote:Remember, non residents can not hunt the plots grounds during opening week of pheasant season in ND, plots is for residents only during opening week of phez season. Good luck on your trip :D . I've usually hunt the far SW corner of ND and have pretty good luck there.
Correct. I'm planning on hunting the second week.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:16 pm

I like Mott and there's PLOTS land nearby that holds pheasants and sharpies. Got an email from Tailfeather Inn today - looks like they would be worth a call. They are basically a hunter's dormitory in town, no frills but a good location. Good luck.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

bdu

Post by bdu » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:27 pm

if your planing on hunting around milnor i know there are a couple hotels in lisbon, nd about a half hr drive from milnor,

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:02 pm

South half of the state for sure.
SW is always good, though not sure quality of PLOTS land.

S central to SE is a bit more work, but still good birds.