Talk me out of a Filson vest

RSA

Talk me out of a Filson vest

Post by RSA » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:33 am

I've been searching for a new wingshooting vest and am leaning towards either a Filson Tin Cloth Game Bag or a Filson Tin Cloth Strap Vest. I'm looking for something to carry for up to 3-4 hours at a time, nothing longer than that. I browsed wingworks website as I see they're very often recommended but they just seem like overkill for my needs. I've also looked at the Badlands Birdvest but would prefer something NOT orange in colour. Any input on the Filson vests I'm looking at? Any other vests I should look at?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Talk me out of a Filson vest

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:47 am

Some Filson vest material is heavy and stiff...equaling hot.
They also price them dear.
They can have too many pockets.
The older vests are...better, imo...i.e. simpler.

However, I prefer the Filson strap vest for everything but true late season snowy pheasant hunting. Even then it ain't bad.
But I found that ordering the lightest weight material and special ordering it w/o the fabric water repellent treatment goes a looong ways to making it serve in warm ruffed grouse coverts. Yes, the lighter weight material is subject to multiflora, greenbrier and all of what a tangle offers.
That's ok...wear indicates memories.
I also ordered it w/o any orange....as I prefer an orange shirt and cap in the grouse woods, if hunting with another hunter for consideration...more than safety and, if the law permits.
Another plus...Filson does not seem to be in love with overrated mesh.

Other vests?....Fit & Try.,,,for Africa or here.
We all have different needs....all will be satisfied to a degree with most offerings.
The Wingworks is the present Internet darling and likely for good reason...I know folks that like them, and don't.
Region can indeed matter as to vests.
Some folks like buckets of pockets in a vest...some like the SWAT or professional or kill 'em look....I would prefer a 1940s look....each to their own.
I have a friend who travels to China a couple times a year...he has had one vest inexpensively copied to the specs of an old an favored vest...I think he will do that again. A vest could be copied or improved upon anywhere.
Most of us have modified our vests a bit through the years as they wore or needs changed.

However, I've never found the perfect vest..in some ways, I hope I never do.
The Quest is a goal in itself.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:23 am

They're heavy and expensive. Hope I talked you out of it.

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 am

Personally I love my Filson vest. Good quality and simple.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:36 am

They are expensive but they last forever and for the most part they are made / assembled in America. They have a wide variety of products and styles. Take a look at their website and you may find exactly what you want. Did I mention they are expensive and overpriced? Put them on your Birthday gift registry. :lol:

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 pm

I have a bunch of vests/strap vests/packs, from Cabelas, Mother, Filson etc. By far my cheap, light Cabelas ultimate strap vest gets the most use. I can wear it from September 1-January 31 without getting hot or feeling claustrophobic. It has been totally thrashed (including having my GWP puppy eat the blood liner out of the game pouch) but it still works great. Paid less than $50 in 2001, they are on sale all the time.......

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Wyobio wrote:I have a bunch of vests/strap vests/packs, from Cabelas, Mother, Filson etc. By far my cheap, light Cabelas ultimate strap vest gets the most use. I can wear it from September 1-January 31 without getting hot or feeling claustrophobic. It has been totally thrashed (including having my GWP puppy eat the blood liner out of the game pouch) but it still works great. Paid less than $50 in 2001, they are on sale all the time.......
I have one of those too and have had it for about 15 years. It's an ugly Cabala's blaze orange strap vest that is on my back at most field trial walking stakes.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Filson: over priced, stiff, hot, uncomfortable. Wing Works: Great! If it seems like too much, take off the water bottle pockets.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

RSA

Post by RSA » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:01 am

Thanks everyone, I was a little concerned about the weight of the vests, I know that material is quite thick.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:17 am

I have a badlands vest and couldn't be happier. It has great back support, which I need. It also has a hydration pack which I use every time I'm out. You also have a magnetic closure on the pockets if you leave them unzipped. The other thing I really like is it has a chest and waist strap so when the bag is full of birds it doesn't "sag" on you. I've always thought with filson you are paying for a name, But to each his own I guess.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:38 am

I LOVE my wingworks vest....love my Filson chaps - but they are heavy and hot. I would not go with a vest I don't think.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 pm

I hate vests, I use a quail and dove caddy. I have a vest for when I am really taking a hike from the vehicle. But much prefer to carry the weight on my hips rather than my shoulders.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:06 pm

I have this one and love it. http://www.filson.com/products/mesh-ves ... duct=1011/

Nice and light with just the right amount of pockets and room for birds (I'm a bit of a minimalist though). Have had it for years and it's held up great.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:36 pm

"Pella bird pack " upland strap vest ....comfortable to wear all day even when loaded with gear and birds.

blanked

Post by blanked » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Ll bean partridge vest. But it does have orange

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:25 pm

I wouldn't part with my Filson Strap Vest........ love it !!
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:57 pm

Love all My Filson gear. Coat hat chaps and also vest, It is heavy and it can be hot, but up here its cold 9 months out of the year. I wouldn't buy anything but filson, it is made for a lifetime
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

Uplandish

Post by Uplandish » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:56 pm

Most anything made by filson lately is way overpriced and not practical for many hunting situations. They (and I am guessing many of their customers) mainly care about looks over functionality. If they would get rid of that "bleep" oil cloth and start making some of their vests with a dry finish ( talked to filson about this and the idea had never occurred to them) their gear might be more practical.
All that waxed cotton is good for is cooking in your own sweat on any active day over 30 degrees, and it will take the finish right off your gun if you aren't careful on how you carry it... And it isn't really waterproof, only water resistant, I have had several brand new just popped the tag filson oil cloth garments soak through during a torrential down pour.
Whats the point? I would rather be comfortable in a goretex or technical fabric piece of gear that I only got five years out of rather than be uncomfortable cold and sweaty in a un practical piece of gear that lasts a lifetime.

That being said their strap vest and chaps are good bits of kit and appropriately priced.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:30 am

Filson has degrees of fabric and I ordered my strap vest w/o the fabric treatment....works just dandy.
But, I still get hot on a 70 degree day....naturally.
OP, Filson products are not perfect and are dear in price but sift the advice received well.

As to Filson cloth gun wear.... :D ....wow.
But I do prefer any metal on the vest to be covered by leather.

I would agree that waterproof is overrated...vest, coat or boot.

Uplandish

Post by Uplandish » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:04 am

Mountaineer wrote:Filson has degrees of fabric and I ordered my strap vest w/o the fabric treatment....works just dandy.
But, I still get hot on a 70 degree day....naturally.
OP, Filson products are not perfect and are dear in price but sift the advice received well.

As to Filson cloth gun wear.... :D ....wow.
But I do prefer any metal on the vest to be covered by leather.

I would agree that waterproof is overrated...vest, coat or boot.
Filson has stopped offering their custom orders so you can no longer get garments in different fabrics, which is a shame because a couple of their vests would be great without the oil and I might be singing a different tune.

It wasn't the metal on the vest that took off the bluing on a couple of my guns and friends guns', it was the fabric itself rubbing against the metal.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:52 am

That is a shame on the Filson orders...it was a solid option.

As with the blu or finish wear on the scatterguns....though I expect more was involved in any wear than vest fabric.
There most often is.

blanked

Post by blanked » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:26 am

The filson has 2 faults in my opinion. No dedicated water bottle holder that you can get to easily for dogs. And that belt is not a load bearing type belt to have all the weight on your hips. That belt is just to keep the front pockets strapped in

RSA

Post by RSA » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:42 am

Ok I've decided on a Filson Strap vest. Where can I find the best price online?

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 am

RSA wrote:Ok I've decided on a Filson Strap vest. Where can I find the best price online?
http://www.filson.com/mens/vests-liners/-1011/
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Boolywooger

Post by Boolywooger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Wyobio wrote:I have a bunch of vests/strap vests/packs, from Cabelas, Mother, Filson etc. By far my cheap, light Cabelas ultimate strap vest gets the most use. I can wear it from September 1-January 31 without getting hot or feeling claustrophobic. It has been totally thrashed (including having my GWP puppy eat the blood liner out of the game pouch) but it still works great. Paid less than $50 in 2001, they are on sale all the time.......
I just bought one for 55.99 with free shipping.

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:50 pm

I have a WingWorks vest. Best vest money can buy. It is not overkill, has the features you need and the best thing about it is it has a place to carry water for your four legged friend. I would imagine the Filson is nearly the same price as the WingWorks.

RSA

Post by RSA » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:11 am

Ordered a Tin Cloth Strap Vest from Uplanders Warehouse, great price.

Rik

Post by Rik » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Vest, rain coat, water, first aid, 10 shells, multitool, phone, sunglasses, transmitter, gps, energy bars, a couple of birds, gloves, leash, small binoculars, adds up to 20 pounds. Any vest that carries all of that weight on the shoulders and not on the hips will produce neck and shoulder pain and shorten your hunt. I use both a Wing Works and a Quilomene vest with waist belts and never have any pain. I've even used the vests to carry my injured setter four miles to the truck with the weight all on my hips, something I couldn't have comfortably accomplished with out a waist belt.

I have two Filsons I love and use them for training and running the dogs when I'm in sight of the truck and don't need to carry anything but a whistle and a check cord.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:50 pm

I wear this: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78256?pa ... -vest-pack

I ditched the electronics pouches, don't fit my alpha. It took me a bird season to realize that the shell pouches are sized to fit a box of shells - box and all. I was wondering about the odd size. :oops:

I made one modification. I cut a slit inside of the vest to re-route the hydration bladder out by the waist belt so I could use it for the dog. She needs rapid water more than I do. The vest also has water bottle pockets so I keep my water there.

It is more of a combo vest/pack than a classic vest.