political correctness

polmaise
GDF Junkie

political correctness

Post by polmaise » Sun May 11, 2014 3:16 am

Pretty soon these skills will be lost forever.
As a young lad I used to watch this programme on tv every week. If it were shown in this country today there would be almost a civil revolution .The world has gone mad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnFBnC ... e=youtu.be

diplomat019

Re: political correctness

Post by diplomat019 » Sun May 11, 2014 2:20 pm

in my opinion i don't think anyone would even care. the same group of people who dislike hunting would dislike this. the people who like hunting would enjoy this. and the people without a horse in the race wouldn't care.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun May 11, 2014 2:28 pm

Most would agree diplomat !?..But then Fox hunting was banned over here by people who don't hunt foxes?..and Tail docking was banned by people who don't have dog's ?
Fishing may well be banned by people who don't fish?..............

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:13 pm

You are pointing out one of the main problems with a democracy and that is the people who have no idea of a situation get to vote on the subject anyway.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun May 11, 2014 5:33 pm

I was pointing out that many of the traditions and skills of hunting in any form may be lost and or banned by the people who don't do it.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun May 11, 2014 6:13 pm

I assume a lot of the rabbiting skills left with the Mixi arrival....naturally, other changes over the decades have no doubt added their own weight.
Were rabbits to again dominate to the same level then society may make exceptions....as I would guess some fickle folks have altered their thoughts and found exceptions with the increase of "natural" or "healthy" foods and their collection.
Here, many have lost country skills of all manner simply because need has disappeared...or market.
The Public though is always cocked to decide how to best bail out the other guy's boat, I agree.

However, "political correctness" can be applied to either or any side of an issue.....some NRAers adopt a very politically correct view of not rocking their own boat and very often sound off with the same memorized tune, much as a chorus of crows.
Sometimes they are profoundly right and at other times, they sadly look to the choir director for leadership.
What is nice is when the choir has the guts to be non-PC for the tunes heard in their own loft....regardless of which side of an issue is at hand. :idea:

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:45 pm

polmaise- you make good points about fox hunting and tail docking. also like to throw in hunting with dogs for certain game. hmmmmmm. do you think its more of an "old school" tradition that is fading away with generations rather than a political thing? hunting in general is losing outdoorsmen by the generation.

you made me reconsider my comment. you are right in what you are saying but, id lean towards newer generations of kids not being involved in the outdoors compared to generations passed.

ezzy- ill take people voting the wrong way over some other countries version of "democracy". for example north korea having a 100% voter turnout and !00% in favor of kim jon un. lol

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon May 12, 2014 1:52 am

Also good points Diplomat.
The clip was screened on tv in the 1970's which showed that Jack Hargreaves the presenter was 'Old school' then but recognised what was happening and subsequently proved right ,not just regarding ferreting but hunting in general.
Coursing is no longer allowed and e-collar is banned in certain areas of the country.

Surprisingly shooting as a sport/hobby/pastime overall has increased steadily year on year as has the number of people entering gundog competition so perhaps it's the nature of how the hunting activities are performed .

I would probably be described as 'Old school' in this century and most likely follow suit much like the Dinosaurs :)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon May 12, 2014 5:28 pm

polmaise wrote:Pretty soon these skills will be lost forever.
As a young lad I used to watch this programme on tv every week. If it were shown in this country today there would be almost a civil revolution .The world has gone mad.
I will have to agree with you that the world has gone mad!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 pm

diplomat019 wrote:in my opinion i don't think anyone would even care. the same group of people who dislike hunting would dislike this. the people who like hunting would enjoy this. and the people without a horse in the race wouldn't care.
I tend to agree. As evidenced by the number of hunting programs on this side of the Pond.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon May 12, 2014 6:28 pm

If anyone can take things like this to the extreme, it's the Brits. As a English Canadian & probably as much of an Anglophile as the next Canuck (always loved Corrie St & still get my tea from M&S) I can tell you no one gets takes Health & Safety over the top like the UK. All this is said with great affection, BTW -- just an observation.

That being said, there is a huge difference between rabbiting & fox hunting. One can still be a way to stock the larder; the other is a nasty "sport" that I don't think has a place in any civilized society.

JMHO,
=SubMariner=

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:20 am

SubMariner wrote:

That being said, there is a huge difference between rabbiting & fox hunting. One can still be a way to stock the larder; the other is a nasty "sport" that I don't think has a place in any civilized society.

JMHO,
Hey sub mariner do you use and shoot pigeons to train your dog??

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:39 am

Soarer31 wrote:
SubMariner wrote:

JMHO,
And, is pig hunting with dogs for sport to Nasty in your civilised society?

But hunting birds with dogs for sport is civilised in your opinion??

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed May 14, 2014 8:21 am

SubMariner wrote: One can still be a way to stock the larder; the other is a nasty "sport" that I don't think has a place in any civilized society.
[/quote]
Curiously enough, the similar argumentation was part of the discussion process by civil consultation regarding the laws and use of traps/snares and trapping regulations that have also been imposed in recent years?........These civilised people argued that it was ok to snare a rabbit but not have it wriggle until it died :roll:
Hope they don't get the proposal through parliament to ban the use of a hook to catch a fish?.....In this civilized society ? More than one way to catch one I suppose :mrgreen:
Last edited by polmaise on Thu May 15, 2014 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed May 14, 2014 2:35 pm

SubMariner wrote: the other is a nasty "sport" that I don't think has a place in any civilized society.

JMHO,
Wow. Can't agree with you on that. Hound sports are as much or more a part of our heritage that bird dogs are.

By the way polmaise, great post and video. I really enjoyed it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed May 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Soarer31 wrote:
SubMariner wrote:

JMHO,
While we do train with live birds, we very rarely shoot a bird for either of the dogs. And if we do shoot one, we tend to re-use it.

Meanwhile, during a field trial, how many birds to you estimate are shot, even in a retrieving stake? I think the low number would surprise many people.
=SubMariner=

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed May 14, 2014 4:34 pm

JMHO,

Are you EATING the pigs you kill? When we bird hunt we either eat what we kill or give them to someone in the party who's pantry could use some stocking.
=SubMariner=

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:06 pm

I am a firm believer in eating what you kill but then there also is a responsibility to control the vermin and trapping along with hunting are legitimate ways of doing that. And to parallel eating what you kill you also can use the pelts which is just as legit as any other use. If you don't like hunting with hounds then you could join the rest of us that surround a square mile and all walk towards the center so we can rid the area of foxes and coyotes. Same result but less fun.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:36 pm

SubMariner wrote:

JMHO,

Are you EATING the pigs you kill? When we bird hunt we either eat what we kill or give them to someone in the party who's pantry could use some stocking.
So that legitimises your excuse for your form of blood sport ??
" someone in the party could use some stocking"??

LOL ... Give us a break!!

I hunt for the sport , and use dogs whether it be birds , foxes , pigs , deer, rabbits , hares, as for EATING ? I see that as a bonus

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 15, 2014 4:32 am

You guy's are lucky !
We now have licence control for a Daisy /BB Gun ! In this civilised Society :evil:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-27420858

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu May 15, 2014 5:42 am

Just because you eat the critter you hunt, does not make the critter enjoy being the victim. I'm sure it looks quite nasty to non hunters................................Cj

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu May 15, 2014 8:54 am

polmaise wrote:You guy's are lucky !
We now have licence control for a Daisy /BB Gun ! In this civilised Society :evil:
Are silencers and silenced weapons still allowed in GB?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Mountaineer wrote: Are silencers and silenced weapons still allowed in GB?
Silencers /moderators are allowed with licence. Hand guns /crossbows are a Big NO NO! catapult's are also under scrutiny !
You are allowed to drive a car over someone and kill them however! This would be deemed reckless driving in the very worse situation which carries a maximum sentence of 5 years open category prison sentence with 50% reduction in sentence automatically and if shown good behaviour you can have a further opportunity to gain Parole in the 2nd year of sentence . Now that has to be politically correct in a civilised society that bans the e-collar on a dog that chases sheep surely?..
Don't you just love Democracy :)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu May 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Darn interesting stuff Polmaise.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 15, 2014 1:28 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Darn interesting stuff Polmaise.
I follow yours across the pond too! :wink: ..We may be ponds apart,but the basic structure is/was the same?..Poles apart are those that are civilised without culture. In my very humble opinion.
Seriously becoming a 'redneck' and joining ''Duck Dynasty'' just to keep real! lol....The Visa application has obvious connotations :)
It's a Gun dog forum! but hey..It's all our lives and it touches all our lives no matter where you are in the world,does it not?
Here is an example of Political correctness .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-out.html
I call it ''Feck you Jack,I'm all right'' !
I ain't a politician and I wouldn't know how to join or be an activist !..I just hunt and shoot with my dogs. Is that a crime ?............
Those that don't will make it . That's my point ;)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu May 15, 2014 4:24 pm

polmaise wrote: ................
I ain't a politician and I wouldn't know how to join or be an activist !..I just hunt and shoot with my dogs. Is that a crime ?............
Those that don't will make it . That's my point ;)
And that is a point well made. We're concerned with it here as well. The movement grows stronger each year.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:20 am

polmaise wrote:You guy's are lucky !
Knife legislation is making its way over here, too, which even for hikers who may like to carry a locking Swiss army knife can leave them potentially in violation of the law in CA if a police officer were to decide to give them a hard time. I understand in Britain that it's unclear whether having a filet knife in your car while heading fishing is against the law?

I think people tend to think that all of this is going to not affect them, until it does.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat May 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Once again, "save me from the good people"!!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Tue May 20, 2014 11:35 am

There was an episode of Leave to Beaver where Beaver gets roped into going to this girl's BD party, against his wishes. He's the only boy there and feeling way out of place. The girl's father rescues Beaver and shows him into his gun room where he lets Beaver handle the guns and Beaver finagles an invite back to come check out the guns again. Can you imagine the uproar something like that would bring in today's PC mad world!

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue May 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Soarer31 wrote:
SubMariner wrote:

JMHO,

So that legitimises your excuse for your form of blood sport ??
" someone in the party could use some stocking"??

LOL ... Give us a break!!

I hunt for the sport , and use dogs whether it be birds , foxes , pigs , deer, rabbits , hares, as for EATING ? I see that as a bonus
So, if I read you correctly it's ok to just go out and kill stuff as long as you label it a sport?

I lived on a boat in the Bahamas for 2 years. Not a lot in the way of "grocery stores" when the nearest landfall is 100 nautical miles away. So we did a lot of spear & line fishing as well as gathering conch, lobsters, etc. Even with paying customers on board, it never crossed our minds that it would be "sporting" to spear a big goliath grouper, just for the heck of it.
=SubMariner=

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue May 20, 2014 2:56 pm

cjhills wrote:Just because you eat the critter you hunt, does not make the critter enjoy being the victim. I'm sure it looks quite nasty to non hunters................................Cj
Unless you are a vegetarian, I really don't see your point, except to be argumentative.
=SubMariner=

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed May 28, 2014 9:10 pm

SubMariner wrote: Meanwhile, during a field trial, how many birds to you estimate are shot, even in a retrieving stake? I think the low number would surprise many people.
Actually in a retriever field trial, they might shoot 200 or more per weekend. Possibly a lot more. No one eats those birds.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu May 29, 2014 7:44 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
SubMariner wrote: Meanwhile, during a field trial, how many birds to you estimate are shot, even in a retrieving stake? I think the low number would surprise many people.
Actually in a retriever field trial, they might shoot 200 or more per weekend. Possibly a lot more. No one eats those birds.
I have no experience with retriever field trials; I was only speaking to pointing breed FTs. And the fact that no one eats the birds in the trials you mentioned seems incredibly wasteful.
=SubMariner=

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 29, 2014 11:19 am

Nutmeg247 wrote: I understand in Britain that it's unclear whether having a filet knife in your car while heading fishing is against the law?
Hi Nutmeg247,
The law relates to the 'Intent' ,so if one was going fishing and had a fishing rod for example along with bait etc and part of that equipment was a knife then that would be deemed with intent to use the knife for the purpose of fishing.The same would apply when returning from a fishing trip. If however that same knife was in possession prior to going fishing or the day or after the fishing trip,then the 'Intent' is/may/could be perceived as not associated with fishing! ?...Political correctness at it's best :wink:

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:59 am

SubMariner wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:
I have no experience with retriever field trials; I was only speaking to pointing breed FTs. And the fact that no one eats the birds in the trials you mentioned seems incredibly wasteful.
I have NEVER seen anyone eat a bird that was killed at a Trial, Retriever or Pointer.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:44 am

I have eaten birds killed at NSTRA trials & seen them divided up between the people that wanted them but never at any other kind of trials.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:27 pm

Not only do we eat birds from our trials (BHU) - at our joint BHU - Pheasants Forever event we fed them to a bunch of youth at our event that were trying bird hunting for the first time. We had over 100 quail and it took a heck of a long time to clean them! The kids (inner city mostly) had a blast, got to experience quite a few things in addition to harvesting a few birds.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:43 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Not only do we eat birds from our trials (BHU) - at our joint BHU - Pheasants Forever event we fed them to a bunch of youth at our event that were trying bird hunting for the first time. We had over 100 quail and it took a heck of a long time to clean them! The kids (inner city mostly) had a blast, got to experience quite a few things in addition to harvesting a few birds.
That is awesome, I look forward to helping your clubs. Out of hundreds of AKC, NAVHDA and NASTRA Trials I just haven't seen that. Kudos.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:19 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Not only do we eat birds from our trials (BHU) - at our joint BHU - Pheasants Forever event we fed them to a bunch of youth at our event that were trying bird hunting for the first time. We had over 100 quail and it took a heck of a long time to clean them! The kids (inner city mostly) had a blast, got to experience quite a few things in addition to harvesting a few birds.
Kudos!!! :)
=SubMariner=