2 1/2 yr old lab forgot how to fetch

KyleandCharlie

Post by KyleandCharlie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:54 pm

My 2 1/2 yr old lab mix has all of a sudden stopped fetching. He used to be great and would even fetch his dummy out of any water. He'd bring it straight to me with no problem until he would get bored or tired of it then he would drop it further and further away from me. Recently I started adding a command word when I want him to fetch and since then he has started doing worse and now he doesn't give a flip about any dummy or bumper I throw. He acts like he has no idea what to do. It's starting to really aggravate me every time I try but he senses that I'm angry and just wants to sit down and lean against my legs or lay down. I know I shouldn't get angry and that it makes it worse but I'm getting better at making sure he knows I love him and letting him know I'm not mad when he isn't getting it. He listens to other command words great like come, sit, lay and I even just taught him stay over the past couple weeks. I also could use some tips on getting him to no longer be gunshy.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Re: 2 1/2 yr old lab forgot how to fetch

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:20 pm

I would eliminate the gun problem first, by putting away the gun. Begin training anew by stopping the retrieving games and follow a program that puts building prey drive with live birds a priority.

Nate

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:50 pm

In addition to loosing the gun until the dog is crazy over birds, I would also recommend following a good program for the dog. You say you "added a command" to the retrieving process. However, a command can't just be added - the dog has to know exactly what the command means and the dog has to follow the command. If he hasn't been force-fetched, then how does he know that he MUST retrieve when you say "fetch" or whatever word you use? He must be trained to know there is NO other option than to pick up the object and bring it back to you when you use the command. That can be accomplished through force fetch - and a good trainer can help you out there!

KyleandCharlie

Post by KyleandCharlie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:49 pm

DoubleBarrel, so I should take him out and let him chase live ducks or what? Im guessing i sound kind of stupid saying that. And I don't have the gun out when we are fetching, I just could use some tips when I start working on that problem after he gets back to fetching. And roostersmom, I know people on this site use that word a lot but I don't know what force fetching is. My grandmother taught him to fetch when he lived with her but she just got him to get playful with it then threw it. I didn't get to be there for that.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Sounds to me like you may have overdone the retrieving and he got tired of it. Always quit when they do it right and if they don't it would be best to quit after 2 or 3 tosses. They should always want more when you stop and not when he gets tired of it. I will just bet that is the difference between grandma and you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

KyleandCharlie

Post by KyleandCharlie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:21 pm

When I was at her house he'd fetch a lot and I'd always stop before he wanted to but anywhere else he didn't seem as interested

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:26 am

Kyle

What training program have you been on ?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:35 pm

I would suggest you cut your losses and get a new dog.

HE'S GUNSHY !!!!! That in itself is enough to finish most dogs. That is your number one problem.

I'm also guessing he is not a well bred lab? Back yard bred maybe? Sounds like he may not have a lot of desire.

First thing to do is see if you can get him bird crazy no gun involved. If not, scrap him.

Next, get a program. Invest in Smart Works.

I can't stress to you what a problem you have here. I'm still of the opinion you should cut your losses, give him away to a loving home that doesn't hunt, and start over again with a well bred pup. After YOU study a program.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:32 pm

KyleandCharlie wrote:DoubleBarrel, so I should take him out and let him chase live ducks or what? Im guessing i sound kind of stupid saying that. And I don't have the gun out when we are fetching, I just could use some tips when I start working on that problem after he gets back to fetching. And roostersmom, I know people on this site use that word a lot but I don't know what force fetching is. My grandmother taught him to fetch when he lived with her but she just got him to get playful with it then threw it. I didn't get to be there for that.
Sorry about the slow response. You seem to have a lot on your plate with this dog. My suggestion is to concentrate on the health issues first. Next would be to seek the assistance of a pro-trainer who has pigeons and is willing to evaluate your dog. The final word of advice is to attend a gun dog training seminar. This may actually be better for you to do without the dog in your case. You will learn a great deal more with a hands on - direct approach, and learn to maintain consistency much more easily than by attempting to do it all on your own.

Good luck,
Nate

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:12 am

99% of the time, Gunshyness is man-made. Dogs aren't born gun shy.
You still didn't tell us what training program you have been following.

KyleandCharlie

Post by KyleandCharlie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:33 am

I haven't been on a training program. Just thought I'd casually train him till he was good enough to take hunting. I don't get to hunt a lot so I only need him to know the basics really.

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:13 pm

Well the basics are formal obedience, force fetch and collar conditioning after doing all the intro to birds and guns. Throwing a bumper in the yard will not make a gundog.
"it shot a many shell over the top of an old bird dog"

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Gone huntin's response is brutally honest and spot on. However if you are emotionally attached to the animal I would find a proven program and build the dog up beginning with puppy bird intro. I might add that doing anything in excess is bad, such as throwing the dummy until he tired or got bored with it. Know when to quit goes a long way. Read as much as you can and get some DVDs, worst case you are a whole bunch wiser. Good luck.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm assuming you don't know much about training dogs, which is fine! Aside from people on here who have trained dogs for years, nobody knows. I'm going to try to break this down and simplify it for you.

Your biggest problem is that your dog is probably from a backyard breeder and has no hunting drive or prey instict. 98% of the people on here have a dog that is bred for hunting, its parents, grandparents, etc. were all hunters. There is a big difference between a lab that comes from a family of lazy house dogs and lab that comes from a family of hunters. To make matters worse your lab is a mix, you probably don't even know what its mixed with but chances are well over 50% of its DNA comes from a breed that could care less about retrieving. Does this automatically disqualify you from hunting with him? Absolutely not. It will take more work and patience on your part but thats half the fun.

Now the gunshyness part. I have never been around a gunshy dog but I have heard horror stories about them.. Gunshyness is something that is man mad, they are not born gunshy. Most likely your dog heard a gun, firework, loud bang, something go off when he was younger and it frightened him. Generally it happens when you take him out to a gun range and shoot clays with your buddies while hes running around.

For you, I would recommend a book called "Tom Dokkens Retriever Training." It is cheap, very easy/quick to read, and it lays it out well for a newbie. Lots of the old-timers on here would not recommend that book because it doesnt go overly in depth or advanced, but your not looking for that. In my opinion it is perfect for what you need. It will get you on a plan, and teach you how to teach your dog. It will cover the basic commands, introducing to birds, guns, upland hunting, waterfowl hunting, e-collars, force fetching, and everything in between without going overboard with it.

Good luck, you've got a long ways to go but it can certainly be done.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:57 pm

KyleandCharlie wrote:I haven't been on a training program. Just thought I'd casually train him till he was good enough to take hunting. I don't get to hunt a lot so I only need him to know the basics really.
Regardless of the "final product" you desire, you need to be following a training program.