Got a double

Georgia Boy

Got a double

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 pm

We were out on one of our properties the evening before and heard at least 4 maybe 5 different ones calling. Females are in season now hot and heavy here so we are gonna put the heat on them until season closes Feb 28th. Another big tom weighed 24 lbs and female was 18lbs.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

ROTTnBRITT

Re: Got a double

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:27 am

Nice.
How do your dogs run cats?

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:40 pm

Great job do you use the dogs or are you using a predator call? I have never seen a bobcat in the wild, beautiful animals.posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=45908#

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 am

Great looking cats, and dogs! Sure looks like more fun than sitting here watching the temperature rise and drop. Suppose to be 28 below zero tonight and we've got 30 inches of snow on the ground. Good trapping weather.
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:29 am

The dogs have treed 2 and got one on the ground that brushed up. We are hunting an area only a couple miles from my house. It is about a 300 acre tract of land leased from a paper company for a deer hunting club that borders a huge section of National Forest . The lease holder got my number from another land owner where I was locating coyote dens and called me after deer season closed. He said last year they killed 14 deer on his lease and this year only 3 and said they had a terrible coyote problem. This year the DNR made changes to our antlerless deer regulations and lowered the number of either sex days so fewer does were killed. They said it was due to the fawn mortality rate and blamed coyote and bobcat.

As for these two bobcats, we were out on the property the evening before to meet with the land owner and we could hear at least 4 different ones. The females are in heat now and calling for mates, its like the bobcat rut. We went out the next morning, located some fresh sign and put the dogs on the ground, after about an hour they cut a fresh track. It wasn't long and I could hear Diemo open so I knew it was hot scent. Same the first one we killed there it ran through the bottom all the way to the properties border with the National Forest and with in a few hundred yards went up an oak tree. We made our way back to the truck and took a rest. We drove to another part of the property and when I got the dogs back out Diemo was limping on a front leg so I left him in the box and hunted the two DD the rest of the day. About the same scenario on the second one, they picked up a track that led us down into a little swamp near the railroad tracks. Somewhere in there they must have jumped it and the chase was on. Eventually this one held up in a thick mess of stuff that had grown up along a old fence running down the railroad bed. I guess he thought he was safe but it didn't work and the dogs drug him out

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 am

Man thats some fun stuff. I cant hunt bobcats here, there is a speices that is only to be found in the Loess Hills area and killing one is a big fine. I used to run coons tho many years ago and sure do miss the baying and treeing.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:20 pm

It a lot of fun for sure, that's why we have versatile dogs because we enjoy hunting everything.

reba

Post by reba » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Two years ago my GSP pointed up a very nice bobcat.

This past year he pointed up a black wolf!