Grouse

ruffbritt4

Grouse

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:10 pm

My dad and I went grouse hunting on Saturday and had a great day. Hunted for 4 hours and flushed 14 grouse. We had a 7 bird flush, and a 3 bird flush. The rest were singles. Ended the day with 3 grouse. A great way to end the season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ms. Cage

Re: Grouse

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 pm

That must have been a fun hunt. :D :D

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Well done...the pup too.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Mountaineer,

The last bird we got only had a pellet or 2 in it, and went into a bunch of cut down trees that were piled. There were many escape routes for the bird, and many places the bird could sit tight without us seeing it. The dog was going through the area and he finally stopped and kept looking at my dad and I. We walked over and looked under the log the dog was at but didn't see anything. Finally the dog made the bird run out the back side and he chased it down. If we didn't have the dog we would have lost the grouse.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:25 pm

ruffbritt4 wrote:Mountaineer,

The last bird we got only had a pellet or 2 in it, and went into a bunch of cut down trees that were piled. There were many escape routes for the bird, and many places the bird could sit tight without us seeing it. The dog was going through the area and he finally stopped and kept looking at my dad and I. We walked over and looked under the log the dog was at but didn't see anything. Finally the dog made the bird run out the back side and he chased it down. If we didn't have the dog we would have lost the grouse.
Super.
As the years pass, you will have more examples of how a dog helps.
I had an old setter of mine point a pool of water once in Iowa after I had shot two pheasants over his point.
Could not find the second bird and assumed he was in error or I had missed...nope, pheasant was down in that little pool of water, unseen.
Trust your dog.

Your comment on the "pellet or 2" is common...it often does not take much to bring down a ruffed grouse.
They seem to hurt all over with a pellet or two.
With their coloration, they can hide and basically disappear.
Again, good on all involved....two legs and four!

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm jealous! Great picture, too. We've been hunting ruffed quite a bit this year and I'm too embarrassed to say how many we actually shot! :lol:

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:09 pm

Nicely done.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks guys!

Wildirishman64

Post by Wildirishman64 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Where do you all hunt in PA. I am a native of Pittsburgh and did my share of deer hunting in the laurel mountains?
Go Irish or Go Home, Take a child hunting and you will never have to hunt for him!

Mark Newman

Post by Mark Newman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:59 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:My dad and I went grouse hunting on Saturday and had a great day. Hunted for 4 hours and flushed 14 grouse. We had a 7 bird flush, and a 3 bird flush. The rest were singles. Ended the day with 3 grouse. A great way to end the season.
Ruffbritt4,
Everything after your first sentence is a plus. You are experiencing the best time being out in the woods with your dad and dog. Cherish them and keep building the great experiences and memories! I ought to come out there and you can teach me some of your hunting skills. I grouse hunted early season in Northern Minnesota (too many leaves) and heard 3 birds but no shots. Congratulations on the good hunt.

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:48 am

good for you guys that sound like a great day afield :D

Pastor Brown

Post by Pastor Brown » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:57 am

Excellent!!!

My Dad introduced me to bird hunting, and they are some of the best memories of my LIFE!

Now he is older & sick with cancer, & I'm praying that he gets to come out to North Dakota, & hunt with me again next fall.

Enjoy your hunting, & listen to everything your dad tells you! Our Parents know ALOT MORE than we realize!

Awesome birds!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:46 am

It's great to see a teenager posting about their hunt with their father- warms my heart.
The memories will last you a lifetime.

Great job!

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Wildirishman64

Grouse

Post by Wildirishman64 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Pastor Brown wrote:Excellent!!!

My Dad introduced me to bird hunting, and they are some of the best memories of my LIFE!

Now he is older & sick with cancer, & I'm praying that he gets to come out to North Dakota, & hunt with me again next fall.

Enjoy your hunting, & listen to everything your dad tells you! Our Parents know ALOT MORE than we realize!

Awesome birds!
This is what I love about hunting, it teaches you more about life than about killing game. Memories are priceless, nice job this young lad! Family first
Go Irish or Go Home, Take a child hunting and you will never have to hunt for him!

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Nice work!

aeast8

Post by aeast8 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Nice work bud, sounds like a great time.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:48 am

Thanks guys. This was my first year bird hunting with my dog and I think he did great. We went out for grouse 3 times and they all had bird contact and he had a few good points. It was a lot of fun to see him progress through the season.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:18 am

You're HOOKED!! The greatest addiction of all, which requires an ongoing treatment, HUNT BIRDS, TRAIN DOG, TRAIN DOG WITH BIRDS, REPEAT ALL THREE!! Always good to hear of another young lad joining our ranks. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of dried, Grouse tail fans. ROD
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA