Pups hunting focus

onuhunter02

Pups hunting focus

Post by onuhunter02 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Let me start by saying I understand she is a pup and I understand she will act like a pup. I had my gsp out with some older dogs yesterday and she spent the first thirty minutes or so jacking around wanting to play with the older dogs. After she got use to the other dogs she was a hunting machine. She has been around those dogs a few times before at the house but once we got to the field it was play time I am assuming because it was a new place to play at. I am happy with how the day went but was wondering if anyone had any tricks to minimizing the play time in the field.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Pups hunting focus

Post by topher40 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:32 pm

How old is the pup, wait on it to come. If the dog has it it has it. It isnt something you can instill
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 pm

I've been to several hunt tests with my dog where the other pup wanted to play the whole time (pups under a year old). I just ignored it and when they started finding birds, the game changed dramatically - they were all business then.

I wouldn't worry about it - pups will be pups (and they can do no wrong in the first year!).

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:38 pm

What you described sounds normal for a puppy. She'll grow out of it. The fact that she started hunting hard after she got the nonsense out of her system is a good sign. You may want to consider hunting her alone until she ignores the other dogs.