pheasant and quail in Pratt KS?

birdogg42

pheasant and quail in Pratt KS?

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:20 am

Headed to pratt Kansas for opening weekend of season and was wondering if anyone would give some insight on the numbers?

Thanks mike

nitrex

Re: pheasant and quail in Pratt KS?

Post by nitrex » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:20 pm

I talked with a friend/wildlife officer 2 weeks ago from about 30 minutes East of Pratt - bird numbers are still very low in the area from the past few years of drought. Not sure what to tell you. If you have private land to hunt, you should do better. The public land gets hunted hard around Pratt from the Wichita hunters that come to play for the opening weekend.

Nitrex

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks nitrex. We r hunting private land. If it is as good as last year then it should be a great hunt. Just didn't know about this year. Don't really want to bother the land owner either. He is nice enough to let us hunt.

Mike

birdhunter68

Post by birdhunter68 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Hey Birddog42,
Hello from a Kentucky gent that loves to chase birds in Kansas.
I have hunted the Pratt area before and had good success on both private and public.

I have friend who operates about 10K acres around Great Bend.....he told me for the second year in a row not to travel his way, as the bird numbers are so low.

I hope you have a successful hunt and please report when you get back from trip,

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:18 pm

birdhunter68 wrote:Hey Birddog42,
Hello from a Kentucky gent that loves to chase birds in Kansas.
I have hunted the Pratt area before and had good success on both private and public.

I have friend who operates about 10K acres around Great Bend.....he told me for the second year in a row not to travel his way, as the bird numbers are so low.

I hope you have a successful hunt and please report when you get back from trip,

Well everyone there told us last year that the population was down 70% but if It is as good as it was last year. It will be a heck of a time. I'll be sure and let u know.

Mike