Hunting Pittsburg NH First Time

trips2win

Post by trips2win » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:15 am

Heading to pitts next weekend with Dex my gsp. He has never been on grouse but has plenty experience with woodcock (are these aka mudbats? Lol). I hear grouse are much spookier. The woodcock around my home town you can almost step on before they flush. Im sure heck bust them quite a bit.
Im planning to work along Indian river or Day rd and stomp around the woods and streams there. No idea what to expect. Never been up there either.

The Zephyr

Re: Hunting Pittsburg NH First Time

Post by The Zephyr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:55 am

Bird counts are about average this year for Pittsburg. The foliage should be down by now so the birds may tend to flush a little wilder. Snow is always a possibility by the third week. You've got the moon, you should see some flight birds. Don't be afraid to work Magalloway area either. Just be careful of the moose hunters!
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

trips2win

Post by trips2win » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks Zephyr. I did hunt last year in Stratford nh. It was my first hunt trip other than local woodcock. I went with a deer hunter buddy. We tried to coincide deer rifle and upland in the same trip so we waited til late in the season. The best day we could both get up there was Dec 1. Big mistake. It was 5 degrees with 10 inches of snow. We did not see any bird activity. Then i hear that snow is a killer for grouse. I am afraid of snow now. Will you find grouse with snow cover?

Thanks!