Rocky the squirrel must die

Tooling

Rocky the squirrel must die

Post by Tooling » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:43 am

I have a rather passive live & let live attitude w/critters however Squirrels are a problem here at my house. Got in my heat pumps indoor unit for my shop which is in the ceiling & nearly burned my shop down. Got into my pigeon cage & killed some pigeons along w/babies etc....yes, Squirrels will do this

Pup (GSP) & I have been feeding Rocky & Co. some lead lately..pup is heeling and keeping it close as well as holding steady when I tell him to hang back for the most part as I am not pressed one bit. I don't pressure him at all thinking he'll just learn over time. He is hauling a$$ around the property looking up in the trees and dare I say I think he pointed a squirel up in a tree this morning :) He loves it and loves searching Rocky's corpse out if I do my job. Not going to go so far as saying that he will be trained for this however if I keep it up and he learns to further cooperate not crashing in and as we continue to be successful I have to believe it will further his understanding relating to cooperation and how that ties in to success. What say you?

What kind of critters does your dog double outside of Upland Game and how has it helped overall in the field..did it translate?

Forgot to mention...pup will stand his birds but is not steady yet if that matters..heck maybe this will help as a primer to that end??

jimbo&rooster

Re: Rocky the squirrel must die

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:21 am

I dont use any of my pointing dogs to do much other than hunt birds, but my lab is a true jack of all trades. I use her to flush rabbits in CRP and field edges, She will sit with me in the woods and retrieve squirrels. I used her one fall to retrieve muskrats I was shooting off my neighbors farm pond., all in addition to being used as a non slip retriever, for waterfowl, and doves and being used to flush upland birds. Dogs are pretty smart and can learn to do alot of things if they are given the opportunity.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 am

I feed the squirrels and in 50 years have never had a problem, but I also have lots of den trees, so they leave the structures alone. I believe it is only the homeless, hungry ones that cause problems. Now don't misunderstand a squirrel is just a rat with a bushy tail and a good PR program, but I like to watch them.

But to the op, I worry some about tempting a young dog with off game, particularly the continental breeds, they come with some fur issues. But if you don't care that he spends some time after deer and rabbits while your bird hunting it is fine, that switch to go from fur to feather is hard to find and use.

The wide open upland grounds of North America does not lend itself to the true versatile dog as well as Europe, we usually need more range.

Your choice.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 pm

My griff has killed 4 rabbits and a raccoon in the back yard, along with 2 coons while hunting. he has also retrieved many cottontails and jack rabbits while bird hunting. When in the field he knows not to chase, he is released to make the retrieve. His first year as previously stated he wanted to chase every deer or other animal close. It didn't take long to teach him what he could and couldn't do

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:10 pm

I believe my dogs prey drive for birds exceeds all else. I do not believe it would be an issue but you never know. His ears perk up and he basically points at them staring them down but he doesn't chase deer...to date. I just don't pay it any credence if he is posturing at some deer and tell him to come along...he drops his ears and follows. He has always chased squirrels and tries to catch them...always has. If he is "on" a bird I'm not too sure anything could get him off of it save my telling him to do so and even then I don't think he would oblige all that willingly. I've seen groundhogs in the field but have taken notice to them before pup has...I just changed our direction before he took notice to avoid any issue as pup was young and I just can't cover ground that fast if a fight ensued. I'm sure pup has been faced with critters at some point out of sight in the field however I don't know of it. He finds turtles all the time..he hates turtles and I am confident we will never suffer a turtle attack thanks to him. He has found snakes...and I did my best to snake break him which seemed VERY effective however it was only a black snake...hopefully this will transcend to CopperHeads and all other snakes if he encounters one, and hopefully his memory serves him well.

I will say this so far as the whole squirrel thing goes. There was a period during the extreme heat when pup didn't see a field for awhile...during this time we did a little "squirrel management". Took him out to a training field and at the onset he was hugging my shoes...took me a minute to figure out what was going on and told him it was ok...hunt 'em up...he bolted and began his normal search. Since then we've done a little squirrel stuff and I've also been taking him out to the training areas. In typical form he heels to the field and does his best as he has a difficult time containing himself but he does rather well really. Whoa'd at the fields edge and then given the ok, he promptly goes from zero to top speed in about a nano-second and starts looking for birds as usual showing no sign of confusion after that first time. I don't think there's any reason to stop when we "manage" the population however I don't think I'll start taking him squirrel hunting per my brothers request who is the squirrel eater...I won't eat one :|

And Neil...I'm with you..the squirrels have never bothered me a bit and I also enjoy having them around. The population has exploded the last few years and I've tried everything to secure things etc. I looked into the habit/nature of squirrels and what i learned is that if an area is over-run w/ them they will stay there so long as there is food even if additional good habitat is near, and it is in my case. Once the food source has depleted they will move on leaving a typical population behind. We have had bumper crops of acorns the last several years and there is no sign of letting up nor is there any sign of the population moving on but worse than that they are multiplying fast...I've not wanted to kill them for the sake of killing them and I'm just not into tossing a critter into the woods to rot either so I got my brother on board to take them..he will eat anything :lol: That's how my attitude evolved after nearly burning my shop down. They got into my bird cage and killed five pigeons along with four babies, now my attitude has changed yet again...until further notice...squirrels beware...the buzzards need to eat too.