Dog Boxes

roaniecowpony

Dog Boxes

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu May 02, 2013 11:12 pm

I've been half heartedly looking at various dog boxes. Mostly aluminum boxes, but some wire boxes as well. My dogs are both females, one is a 50 lb lab and the other a 40 lb e-pointer.

I've looked at the Eastcoast, the Zingers, the DeeZee, the CMP and many others. I even looked at the square bar type Great Day Road Dog GDS sells. So far, I'm not thrilled enough to run out and buy anything I've seen. I like the open wire and the Great Day Road Dog stuff, but these look a little cheesy construction to me. I haven't seen a currently made wire box I really think is well made.

Any suggestions on either the aluminum or wire boxes? I know they're two different uses, but I may get both.

reba

Re: Dog Boxes

Post by reba » Sat May 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Precision Cage makes the best heavy duty wire dog crates.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 pm

There are alot of good brands on the market. Mine was custom built. I think you have to consider the weather factor, I wouldnt put money out for a box for where I live I would just get a nice aluminum one that is vented good.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Stilly Bay

Post by Stilly Bay » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:02 pm

They are neither metal or wire but Rough Tuff kennels are bullet proof, affordable, and extremely versatile. I wrote them off until I actually saw one in person and was very impressed.
The best part is the doors come off in less than a second and they open from both sides. The double door models are incredibly handy if you need to throw one in the back seat of a compact car for quick trips to the vet since the doors don't get in the way.
I have two of the double door models and plan on getting two more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGfHEkaPko4

magspa

Post by magspa » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:29 pm

also not aluminum or wire but i have a easyloader kennel that is double door and works great in the back of the SUV..i think it was $280..drilled and mounted storage on top of them and also drilled 1" ventilation holes.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:19 pm

My Owen seems to work just fine. It was pricey (to me), but it will last forever....

I have mine mounted about 10" off the bed of my Tacoma (that has an ARE shell). Seems to keep the pups cool in the heat, and warm in the cold.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Wyobohunter

Dog Boxes

Post by Wyobohunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:11 pm

What's wrong with the ones they sell at Walmart? The price is nice and they are made in the USA. Obviously not as tough as the aluminum ones but if I can make one last 10 years I've paid $180... Less than an aluminum one. This isn't how I generally think of purchases. Just don't see myself using it all that much. So far I've only hauled a few pigs in mine.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Wyobohunter wrote:What's wrong with the ones they sell at Walmart? The price is nice and they are made in the USA. Obviously not as tough as the aluminum ones but if I can make one last 10 years I've paid $180... Less than an aluminum one. This isn't how I generally think of purchases. Just don't see myself using it all that much. So far I've only hauled a few pigs in mine.
Well insulation is a big factor. I've driven in below zero temps (for hours at a time), I want to know that my dogs aren't going to be popsicles by the time I get where I'm going. Safety is another factor. Worst case scenario being a rollover accident. While I don't think an aluminum box is fail safe, they've got a better chance than in a plastic crate.

Don't get me wrong, I do have two plastic carriers, but they stay at home. Now if I had a suburban or some other large suv I wouldn't have a problem using plastic instead of aluminum.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Wyobohunter

Dog Boxes

Post by Wyobohunter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Good points. I could always add insulation but it'd be nice to have a ready to go package I don't have to fuss with. Also, your point about safety makes sense too. I appreciate the reply and will probably upgrade when I can swing the money. I'll then have a nice dog box and a dedicated piglet transporter.

rich0807

Post by rich0807 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:06 am

Is insulation in a dog box a help in the summer or is it bad?

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:06 am

rich0807 wrote:Is insulation in a dog box a help in the summer or is it bad?

With good ventilation, insulation will be very helpful to keep direct sunlight radiant heat from heating the inside of the box. Plain aluminum will transfer heat/cold thru more quickly than most any other material used for dog boxes. Take a piece of aluminum and lay it in the sun. In 5 minutes, put your hand on the shady side of it. You'll feel how much heat transfers thru. An uninsulated aluminum box in the sun is an oven. The only thing worse I can think of would be to paint an aluminum box flat black. Plywood or plastic insulates much better than aluminum, many times more so.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:22 am

I'm a sucker for a good deal and i've hauled ten piglets home in my dog trailer. Glad to see I'm not the only one. :D

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:14 am

How are you using the boxes? Back of a pick-up, SUV? U get in cold weather often?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:42 pm

I have two of the 2 dog Owens aluminum boxes that I've bolted together. That way I can haul 4 dogs and access all of the from the back of the truck with a little shuffling. Plastic and wire crates are cheaper initially, but are a temporary investment. Good quality aluminum ones are long term plus they are still light weight. Go for the aluminum and you won't have to regret your decision, when you throw the broken plastic or wire ones away.

Nate

Back

Post by Back » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:21 am

I recommend you at least take a look at Houndsmen Deluxe dog boxes. I've owned several over the years only because I like the color to match my truck... :D

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:11 am

I made my own dog box out of 2x2's and plywood. With proper care they will last for years and you get alot of self satisfaction out of making your own. Sure, they don't look as cool as the guy who spent 700 dollars on his aluminum box but who really cares? True dogs eat on them some but I've never had one complain about having to ride in a home made box.

SnowDog

Post by SnowDog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:17 am

JWP58 wrote:
Wyobohunter wrote:What's wrong with the ones they sell at Walmart? The price is nice and they are made in the USA. Obviously not as tough as the aluminum ones but if I can make one last 10 years I've paid $180... Less than an aluminum one. This isn't how I generally think of purchases. Just don't see myself using it all that much. So far I've only hauled a few pigs in mine.
Well insulation is a big factor. I've driven in below zero temps (for hours at a time), I want to know that my dogs aren't going to be popsicles by the time I get where I'm going. Safety is another factor. Worst case scenario being a rollover accident. While I don't think an aluminum box is fail safe, they've got a better chance than in a plastic crate.

Don't get me wrong, I do have two plastic carriers, but they stay at home. Now if I had a suburban or some other large suv I wouldn't have a problem using plastic instead of aluminum.
I strongly disagree that the aluminum boxes are safer in a rollover. I rolled my truck doing 70 on freeway with my two labs in their plastic crates secured in the bed of the truck. The crates were ejected and flew over 20 yards where the broke apart. The dogs walked away without a scratch. The crates rolled, flexed, and eventually broke apart and the dogs got out. If they were in an aluminum box, I can guarantee they would not have survived.

Here is a link to a post with more info and pictures of the truck....
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... racle-Dogs!!!

Cheers!
SD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.