DIY Dog Box

moneysshot

DIY Dog Box

Post by moneysshot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:13 am

I just bought a new truck and it has a roll-top tonneau cover. I have been searching for under-the-cover dog boxes, but have not been able to find anything that either fits or is of decent quality. Im looking for something like user tnbndr had posted back in 2011:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=30463&p=283782&hil ... er#p283782

Does anyone have any recommendations or any DIY plans that have worked well in the past?

I appreciate any input/knowledge that you are willing to share.

Thanks

roaniecowpony

Re: DIY Dog Box

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:29 am

I would recommend you contact a company like Ainley Kennels in Iowa. They make everything to your specs.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:05 am

About any of the companies that make dog boxes will make one to spec. I had deercreek dogboxes make me one that was short enough I could put it against the cab and still pull my gooseneck horse trailer. the only issue might be the doors.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 pm

You're gonna want to keep the tonneou cover open when driving with the dogs in there. Carbon monoxide can fill the bed and asphyxiate them.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:50 pm

http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/houndsmen_dog_units.html

He said in his post that his box was a Houndsmen. These look like they're pretty low profile.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 pm

here's the link to Ainley Kennels.

They make their boxes to your dimensions using patterns that they show. They seem to be up for about anything you propose. I'm sure there are many other makers out there that will do the same. I've done business with this company.

http://ainleykennels.com/Multidogcrates ... crates.htm

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 am

roaniecowpony wrote:You're gonna want to keep the tonneou cover open when driving with the dogs in there. Carbon monoxide can fill the bed and asphyxiate them.
I wasn't planning on keeping it fully closed with the dogs under it, but I wanted a box that could fit underneath so I didnt have to get rid of my tonneau cover and I didnt have to take the box in/out every time I needed to use it. I would be nervous even having my dogs in a full topper without some sort of air circulation

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I will have to take a look. I really like the houndsmen, but have been thinking about cost-saving and wonder if I could make the box myself. I normally would want it to be something nice to look at (i.e. diamond plated), but since I plan on it being under the cover the majority of the time maybe just wood? Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/comments on what to use/what not to use when using wood for dogs (like dont use treated, etc)? Or would I be better off spending the extra money and getting a custom built box?

Thanks again

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:51 am

I have an aluminum diamond plate two hole box here for a full-size. The top storage box was taken off before I bought it. I think it would fit under the rail. I bought a new one last week to fit my tacoma so I don't need this one. Call or text 505-31963 eighty two for pictures and price.

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:58 am

gotpointers wrote:I have an aluminum diamond plate two hole box here for a full-size. The top storage box was taken off before I bought it. I think it would fit under the rail. I bought a new one last week to fit my tacoma so I don't need this one. Call or text 505-31963 eighty two for pictures and price.
I'd definitely be interested, but I am pretty sure the shipping from New Mexico to Nebraska would be off the charts. If you are going to be in the Midwest in the near future we could possibly work something out.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:14 am

I was in Kansas two weeks ago. I do head that way occasionally. It's really light and all aluminum. Dimensional I don't know if USPS would haul it. I shipped a mountain bike to Maryland USPS for 57$ years ago.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Shipping a box like that would be done by common carrier (trucking company). I used Estes trucking to ship a 400 lb offset bbq from TX to CA. I don't recall it being outrageous.

jczv

Post by jczv » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Did you look at these - you could somewhat modify the dimensions as necessary.

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/ ... dog-boxes/

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:59 pm

I had mine shipped by Amtrak pretty cheap. not very fast. Cj

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks for the replies and input. I am still debating on which way to go with this. I found a brand new Dee Zee double dog box that a guy had gotten as a gift and wants to sell it for $250 ($540 from Dee Zee directly). I feel like this is a great deal, fits under my tonneau, and will last forever, but I have to drive 2.5 hrs to get it. Still debating on building my own, but may be taking a drive this weekend....

Thanks again

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:43 pm

I bet i have atleast a couple hundred bucks in the 2 dog box i built and alot more then five hours labor if i were you i'd grab that dee zee box you will save time and money, just my 2 cents

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Driving is a lot easier than working on a dog box plus it will be much better and probably lighter. easy choice Cj

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks for everyone's advice. I went ahead and just drove and bought it. He met me halfway, so I ended up giving him an extra $20 for gas. Definitely happy with the box...super light, looks good, and fits under my tonneau. No working/cutting/sawing/cussing. I know I can always count on good solid advice from GDF when in need. Thanks again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.