Limit of Woodcock

buff

Limit of Woodcock

Post by buff » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:21 pm

This afternoon we made a short round with Hoss which is out of muddycreek jughead and gunpowder molly and Gumbo which is out of sharpshooters man in black. Both dogs did well in backing and pointing dept.They know the game and that is to get in the thickets. thanks for looking
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tyler S

Re: Limit of Woodcock

Post by Tyler S » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Very nice!! I've only limited out once since the opener. What state are you hunting? Btw nice looking dogs.

buff

Post by buff » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm

We are in SW Louisiana.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:27 pm

I hunted some in that part of the world. South of I-10. It's been hit or miss here. I've been hitting cypress ponds while quail hunting. It's still relatively dry here and seems to have the birds spread out. When we have alot of water it will push them out on the edges.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:31 pm

buff wrote:This afternoon we made a short round with Hoss which is out of muddycreek jughead and gunpowder molly and Gumbo which is out of sharpshooters man in black. Both dogs did well in backing and pointing dept.They know the game and that is to get in the thickets.
What is a limit in Louisiana

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:
buff wrote:This afternoon we made a short round with Hoss which is out of muddycreek jughead and gunpowder molly and Gumbo which is out of sharpshooters man in black. Both dogs did well in backing and pointing dept.They know the game and that is to get in the thickets.
Ms. Cage, it's 3 which if Iam not mistaking is the max under federal guidelines. Iam not sure about days in LA, but we have a 45 day season here.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

buff wrote:This afternoon we made a short round with Hoss which is out of muddycreek jughead and gunpowder molly and Gumbo which is out of sharpshooters man in black. Both dogs did well in backing and pointing dept.They know the game and that is to get in the thickets. thanks for looking

Good job they have a fair number of birds down this year.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:
Buff Cash throws some really nice dogs!

Tammy The limit is 3 as Tyler said we get from 18th Dec. thru January to chase em. 45 days like most states.

The hunting is South Louisiana rates up there with some of the best in the world for woodcock period.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:19 pm

That's our limit in Minnesota too. A few weeks ago howie was telling me for yrs. the limits was 5 and our season was sept 1 to nov.1. Howie said the fisrt yr of the date change he went hunting 15 days early and when he got work he was telling his boss about the good morning hunt he had . His boss looked him and season starts the same day as ruffed grouse this years . howie said, your full of BS. it 's sept 1 since both of us have been hunting. Well. out came the regulation book and as sure as can be the first yr. for sept. 15th opener.. :lol: :lol: .

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 am

Tyler S wrote:Very nice!! I've only limited out once since the opener. What state are you hunting? Btw nice looking dogs.
Agree, very nice looking dogs

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:45 am

Buff, where do you live. I'm in Lake Charles.....We have been hitting them about three times a week down here. I've got a place south of Lake Charles by my house and a place in Dequincy. Like my good friend Cajun said above we have a fair number of birds this year. However, I think we had more birds last year and the year before. Year before last we could shoot a limit within a 15 yard circle. Having to work for them this year.

nguilbea

Post by nguilbea » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:14 am

I can agree about the bird numbers this year in Louisiana. Really having to work for them. The woods have been really dry in my usual spots. 2 years ago was the first time I bird hunted and there were birds everywhere. My springer was 9mo old at the start of the season and had never smelled a woodcock before. My first 2 hunts were just a walk in the wood with him, but the third... Once he scented his first bird he flushed 10 in about 30 minutes on the way back to the truck. I could shoot a limit in half an hour on average. Usually would just let him hunt after that for experience. There were a few days he would get on over 30 birds in 2-3 hours. Last years was pretty good. Some days better than others but still a limit in a few hours usually. This year is rough but still enjoying it.
Nick Guilbeau

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:56 pm

nguilbea wrote:I can agree about the bird numbers this year in Louisiana. Really having to work for them. The woods have been really dry in my usual spots. 2 years ago was the first time I bird hunted and there were birds everywhere. My springer was 9mo old at the start of the season and had never smelled a woodcock before. My first 2 hunts were just a walk in the wood with him, but the third... Once he scented his first bird he flushed 10 in about 30 minutes on the way back to the truck. I could shoot a limit in half an hour on average. Usually would just let him hunt after that for experience. There were a few days he would get on over 30 birds in 2-3 hours. Last years was pretty good. Some days better than others but still a limit in a few hours usually. This year is rough but still enjoying it.
Guilbeau, we gotta trade some hunts....I've been flirting with the idea of getting a flusher. I've never hunted behind one.