Quail home range question

magspa

Quail home range question

Post by magspa » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:40 am

This is my first year hunting quail, as i just moved to TX from PA. I have pinpointed a few coveys that i have been hunting every weekend. Sometimes i dont even shoot, depends on the dogs. But even so i usually just shoot one or two. The cover is thin areas along field edges so they dont have too many places to go. Went out this weekend and didnt find any of the original birds. Would they relocate to a totally different area?

jimbo&rooster

Re: Quail home range question

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:52 am

I dont know what your terrain looks like, or the ammount of food water etc, for the birds, but I know here In farm country where there is plenty of food and water for our local birds, a local biologist told me that they expect each covey to need roughly 70acres. Now that is obviously very subjective, but it seems about right. We have 100acres in CRP that has 3 coveys on it, 1 about 25-30 birds and the others are much smaller maybe 10 birds or less.

I would say that the birds you have, may travel a specific "route" in search of food, water, etc. and you may see them again in a couple of weeks. I know that the birds on our property, go in almost weekly cycles where you go from moving several b birds in a an hour to not seeing a single bird.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

magspa

Post by magspa » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:05 am

the fields are about 50acres or so and all cut now, with thin strips of cover running parallel and cutting between them.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Depends on the species as well. Bobs usually are hatched, live and die in the same 1/4 square mile area but blues will travel 6-8 square miles sometimes.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:10 pm

They could have been out feeding and not in the fence rows.

Could have been eaten by a hawk too. I've seen whole coveys get taken over a weeks time by one hawk.

Could have moved after getting pressed too hard by you.

You might have just missed them!

I can think of lots more reasons but those I think are the most likely.

magspa

Post by magspa » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:12 pm

They are bobs..ok thanks for the replys, still learning about quail but its a great time.