Another milestone with my 7month old pup

millerms06

Another milestone with my 7month old pup

Post by millerms06 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:11 pm

After hunting grouse two weekends in September and the first week of October, Morgen and I bagged four grouse and a woodcock. All birds were shot on point and I had seen her stay steady to wing and shot. This made me real excited about this pup and I wanted to keep the good times rolling with her. Pheasant season started last weekend, and Morgen got in on the action right on opening day with my four year old Vizsla Myla. We bagged our first pheasant of the season within fifteen minutes. Myla made a real solid point on the rooster and Morgen came up and made a good attempt at honoring by standing next to Myla sniffing the air and finally head locked to the ground. Rooster got up and down he came. I had took the duo out again on Tuesday morning and we limited out with two roosters within an hour. I figured since the freezer was getting full with birds, and Morgen was getting a nose and mouthful of pheasant in the field, why not take her out solo for pheasant like I did with her on grouse? This morning was that solo hunt and I am happy to report we limited out on our own! Morgen had to track the first bird following with the wind. She stopped on point and the hen flushed resulting in its demise. We walked around a cattail slash and noticed two hunters working where we would have exited out of it. I held her up until they walked away from the area and we pushed ahead. Once we got to where we once saw the other hunters, Morgen got birdy again. We pushed the edge of the cattail and got to a small slough with some brush cover. We had come to a "fork in the trail" and she was having a difficult time getting back on the scent. I let her work it out and kept things quiet because I had a suspicion we were going to bust a bird in this section. She walked sniffing again back on the scent trail and into the brush. Before she got to the other side, I heard a quick cackle and out busted the rooster giving me a safe quartering away shot from the dog. Down he went and out popped Morgen chasing the flapping rooster. I was so excited and gave Morgen much praise for her work. I am pretty sure the hunting party we saw in field, who were now in the parking lot, heard me telling Morgen what a good pup she was.

I am truly blessed to own this dog as this was probably one of the most exciting hunts I have ever gone on. To see a young dog come into her own with a relatively new bird was the coolest thing to witness. A big thank you to Steve Scharrer of Grand River Gun Dogs and Rex Messner (Fieldmaster's Dark Knight of Trouble) for developing the parents whom produced this good pup.

quackerjack

Re: Another milestone with my 7month old pup

Post by quackerjack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:01 pm

That sounds like a great pup you got. Sounds like you will have many more great hunts together in the future.
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

Xhipi1

Re: Another milestone with my 7month old pup

Post by Xhipi1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 pm

congrats. the pup is doing great so far. best of luck