Over/Under vs Side x Side, and which brand/model

m2244

Over/Under vs Side x Side, and which brand/model

Post by m2244 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:32 am

Hello,

My situation: I have an 8-month-old ES. I live and hunt in VT, moslty. I am thinking about buying another shotgun for myself and or my sons to use.

I have been grouse hunting for about 25 years with an old 12 guage side x side Parker that my father gave me. I love this gun but lately I have been thinking about buying a nice O/U 20 guage (possibly side x side).

So, I was wondering if we could start a conversation on WHICH make and model O/U to look at (and possibly side x side).

As far as price range, if the gun knocks my socks off I would go as high as $2000, maybe.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Over/Under vs Side x Side, and which brand/model

Post by nikegundog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:46 am

I would handle a bunch of them and see which one feels best. For me I love my Ruger Red Label, looks great, Made in America, it was discontinued this year but you can still find a few ones left on the shelf (its a little heavier than the alloy guns). A side x side hasn't won a mayor shooting event for about the last 80 years, I think that may tell you there is an advantage of an O/U over a SxS.
Last edited by nikegundog on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

codym

Post by codym » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:59 am

I don't shoot sxs's but for o/u I love beretta. The 20 guage is like a wand, 686 or 687 the biggest difference is the wood and the engraving. Light fast thin. I have talked to a guy that didn't like th beretta and perferred the citori which is a nice gun as well. For me the brownings are a little bit thicker and clunkier and I don't think the fit and finish is quite as good as the berettas. Again just my opinion. The ruger is a quaility o/u made in the usa but as mentioned above is proably the heaviest. I highly recomend ou go look at several places and really find a guy that YOU like. Good Luck and have fun.

terrym

Post by terrym » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:07 pm

There aren't as many choices for decent SxS guns in the $2k range but they are around. As already said you can get a Citori, Beretta 20 guage easily with that budget. I use a Winchester 101 in 20 guage but that is no longer in production. I also bought a CZ Bobwhite this summer in 20 gauge with 26" barrels which is really sweet for it's price point.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 am

I think that since you are already shooting a real nice sxs. I would try a smaller guage Ugertecha, AyA, grullia, Ariettia. Doubleshotuns.com has new ugiies in that price range. I shoot a 16 sxs since its barely heavier than my 20 ga.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:32 am

Late model LC Smith are beautiful, very nice, single trigger reasonably priced shotguns. Usually Cabelas has a few in stock at around $1200 To $1500. 12 or 20 gauge. 16 gauge ammo is to hard to find.
Early models are very pricey CJ

blanked

Post by blanked » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:55 pm

I second the ugartechea from lion country supply. New grade 1. For $1700. My 20 gage is 5.7 pounds so your recoil will be more than a heavier o/u. But of course easier to carry all day
I have lighter loads for skeet to offset the recoil when banging 200 shells in an hour and a half

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:22 am

Brand, gauge, make and model mean nothing if it doesn't feel right in your hands. Someone spoke of a gun feeling like a "magic wand".....that's what you're looking for. I believe you will hit more birds with a gun that feels like a "Magic wand" regardless of the details.
Tom

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:48 pm

I like an O/U Stoger 16ga. Made by Benelli and around 400ish dollars so its a great gun and great on the pocket too :D

Corry

m2244

Post by m2244 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:12 am

Thanks for all of the advice.

I plan on looking at a few this weekend. From things I have read I am leaning towards the Beretta.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:45 am

I have an SKB GC7 that I have started shooting some and really like it.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:50 am

Gordon Guy wrote:Brand, gauge, make and model mean nothing if it doesn't feel right in your hands. Someone spoke of a gun feeling like a "magic wand".....that's what you're looking for. I believe you will hit more birds with a gun that feels like a "Magic wand" regardless of the details.
I agree completely. The one I use the most I don't know who made it. I do know it fits and hits.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:I like an O/U Stoger 16ga. Made by Benelli and around 400ish dollars so its a great gun and great on the pocket too :D

Corry
Stoeger is owned by Benelli just like Berreta owns Benelli. Stoeger is a importer Not a manufacturer, don't believe that because Benelli owns them that your getting Benelli quality.

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 pm

The Winchester model 23 20 gauge is my "magic wand"

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Winche ... =100274071