California

bwjohn

California

Post by bwjohn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:42 pm

This is probably a long shot, but the wife is putting a lot of pressure on me to visit friends in ca with her over the thanksgiving holiday. We will be north of San Fran by an hour and half or so, anything up that way?

I had a trip to MT set up or if weather was bad OR, sometimes you get overruled.

Thanks for any info,
Brandon

reba

Re: California

Post by reba » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:53 am

If you are looking to get away and hunt some birds in that part of California, sorry nothing I know of in that part of the state.

What's wrong with Utah?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 am

so...like an 1-1/2 North like up the coast? Or in the valley, or actually to the east toward the sierras? You may have a couple hours drive but I can probably direct ypu somewhere...

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Sebastopol

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Yikes...are you sure you wouldn't rather go wine tasting? Beautiful area but tough for upland game. I can offfer this, if you are set on going and a 1-2 hour drive is reasonable you can hunt mountain quail in the Mendocino National Forest (North an hour)...look for water and clear cuts... or wild pheasants in the state game refuges in the Sacramento Valley, not very far away but difficult winding roads to get there, probably 2 hours. Some specifics on both can be seen in this link...scroll down to quail and wild pheasants. http://www.arwhead.com/calhunt/hotspots.html

I could be more helpful with Valley Quail and Chukar but you would be halfway home from Sebastapol to get there.

Best of luck,
Joe

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:48 pm

not into wine to much, I wasn't holding out much hope. That is where some close friends of ours live, we both just recently had our first babies and we were going to get them together on that weekend. I was holding out a small chance that I still might get to do some bird hunting.

thanks for the info,
brandon

Sierra Wirehair

Post by Sierra Wirehair » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Blue grouse is open in Nevada.