Dumb guy from Fl. that wants to hunt pheasant with his dog..

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Dumb guy from Fl. that wants to hunt pheasant with his dog..

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:25 pm

Hey all,

New to this forum, thought someone might be able to help a total rookie. I have a vizsla that I've been running in field trials and hunt tests for the past few years. I've shot over him a few times and figured out that I like it!

Shooter also loves pheasant, so I'd love to go somewhere for some good pheasant hunting - being in Florida, I'm guessing that there's no place remotely close where I can get him on some wild pheasant. Can anyone point me towards some info on the best states for pheasant hunting? I know SD - where else? Preferably closer, but geez, I'm going to be driving a LOT no matter what, so I guess it doesn't matter. :)

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:34 pm

Here's a picture of my boy...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:39 pm

Welcome aboard. Nice looking dog. Probably the closest place to you for wild birds is Iowa. There is some really good hunting in the north central and northwest portion.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:12 pm

Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota should have good numbers of wild birds. Northern Missouri and Oklahoma have some as well.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:41 pm

Hmm.. pheasants, and from Florida, eh? Plan on a decently long trip. :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:25 am

i am just taking a wild hare guess from your first post, but it sounds like you have not hunted before. you should check license requirements. some states up here require that you either have a Firearms Safety Cert., or a prior license, in order to buy a nonresident hunting license.

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:36 am

Fine lookin' lad! Most states recognize hunting licenses from your home state in lieu of a safety cert, but check'em out anyway.

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:12 am

Welcome to the forum. As a matter of fact, yesterday our local paper had an article on Iowa ranking second in number of roosters harvested last season. We also expect this year to be better than last as we had a mild winter and so far a good spring (no flooding of nesting sites) all which should translate into a great hatch. So come to Iowa and you will not be disappointed. Here is our department of natural resources website. www.iadnr.com. Good luck.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:09 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:i am just taking a wild hare guess from your first post, but it sounds like you have not hunted before. you should check license requirements. some states up here require that you either have a Firearms Safety Cert., or a prior license, in order to buy a nonresident hunting license.
You done guessed right. :) Absolutely a good thing to check, thanks for the reminder!

I'll definitely give Iowa a look, too - thanks.

Most of what I've found no matter where I look is advertisements for hunts with guides and their dogs and so on. Well - that's great and all, but that kinda defeats the purpose. I want to bring MY dog and shoot over him. Can't find many places that will just let me hunt on their land.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:19 pm

Ayres, that's a nice looking boy you got there. Congrats on the SH legs, keep it up. I've done a lot of AKC trials and hunt tests with Shooter, we managed to finish his SH and DC this past season. Time for the real stuff. :)

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:03 pm

phermes1 wrote:Ayres, that's a nice looking boy you got there. Congrats on the SH legs, keep it up. I've done a lot of AKC trials and hunt tests with Shooter, we managed to finish his SH and DC this past season. Time for the real stuff. :)
Thanks! That is a good lookin V you got there too. I failed to say that earlier, but rest assured that is what I was thinking. And I know how you feel about getting to the real stuff. I want my boy to finish up MH early this fall - the trainer doesn't recommend hunting wild birds until after he finishes up (easier to control planted birds to create training situations and avoid mistakes). I'm looking forward to getting done and back to the real stuff too.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:49 am

Phermes I sent you a PM

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:46 am

I'll definitely give Iowa a look, too - thanks.
Well now, if you do and want a hunt on the "West coast" of Iowa, drop me a line or PM or email :) I know a couple places and since you are from way outta town :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935