Forget this, I'm moving to South Dakota.

Stoneface

Forget this, I'm moving to South Dakota.

Post by Stoneface » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Went out today, again. Hit mulitple (2) areas, again. And didn't find a doggone thing, again! I'm sick of this. It beginning to feel like fishing in a bath tub. Anybody got a show dog they want to sell?

One of the areas I hit today was under direction of the regional biologist who said he kicked up three coveys in a half mile and always finds birds on this spot. The other area was under direction of a friend who hit it on Tuesday and kicked up three coveys.

Oh, look, I think I've got a bite! Wait. Nevermind, it's just a snag in the drain. :(
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Re: Forget this, I'm moving to South Dakota.

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Your not hunting in the right spots or maybe the wrong time of day! Go hunting with somebody and figure out what your doing wrong!!!
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:21 pm

Two similiar posts in two days. Be a little patient. Every day isn't going to produce a "limit" or even bird contact. In my opinion, it's day's like your last two that will make you really appreciate the good day's. That's how memories are made imo. Good luck and keeping going out. Looks like you've got a good looking dog to share those memories with.

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Sounds to me like you need a trip to the hunting preserve. I have never understood why so many people talk bad about the preserves, we have a blast everytime we go. If for some reason that doesn't fit your cup of tea then just go buy some birds and put them out. Wild bird hunting is the greatest, but at some point if you aren't ever finding birds you might as well just be running the dogs in the park. To many times out without bird contacts is not good for a young dog. You want the dog to know they're hunting. Goodluck, SCKWEST p.s. if possible post some more pics of your young male, I just purchased his dam.
Last edited by sckwest1 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:42 pm

I don't have a young male. I have a female Pointer and a female Setter. Did you purchase Molly or Girl? Let me know and I'll post a bunch of photos or you.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Here you go, sckwest1: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33246
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks for the pics. I just purchased Addition's Girl and have owned her brother for a while. Here is a pic of him. http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2782 I also have their dam Erin's Molina http://www.erinkennels.com/pedigrees/38.pdf I sure hope we have a mild winter and the numbers improve next year. Scott

wsparks128

Post by wsparks128 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:47 pm

I found birds on public ground not to far from you Tuesday and Friday... Found them last year scouting and went back this year and those coveys doubled ....They are doing my young dogs very well
Wouldn't mind meetin up sometime I know where a few more are makes a pretty good day and even better day for the pups.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:30 am

Went out yesterday and didn't see a dam bird either... until the last five minutes. Dog went on point within 60 yards of my truck. Thinking she was screwing around I had my gun unloaded and over my shoulder when all heck broke loose. I let her point a few singles and blanked them. Then made it home for.Christmas with 1 minute to spare.

What I found was what places didn't hold birds and where one covey moved to.

Come on out to California like brad said . Plenty of birds, not enough time.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:34 pm

You and your dogs are both inexperienced at upland hunting and it is a tough time to learn due to shrinking habitat and fewer birds. It will take mostly shoe leather and trying different types of habitat, talking to hunters, farmers and biologist can also help. Your dog, even a young one, will show you things that you can't learn on your own. It takes time and effort to start understanding or "reading cover" and even then you will have days when the birds just won't cooperate. We need new blood to help keep this tradition alive, good luck!

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Keep walking and quit whining!

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:46 am

CHJIII wrote:Keep walking and quit whining!
But, but, but... :D

I've ben talking to people and have heard a constant theme. They all say, "I've found birds in unusually thick cover, not in places the birds should be. Look for the nastiest stuff and hunt there." So, heading out in about 15 minutes and gonna hit the two best public areas in this part of the state. Hope I find something. I'll post it later today.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:58 am

Stoneface wrote:
CHJIII wrote:Keep walking and quit whining!
But, but, but... :D

I've ben talking to people and have heard a constant theme. They all say, "I've found birds in unusually thick cover, not in places the birds should be. Look for the nastiest stuff and hunt there." So, heading out in about 15 minutes and gonna hit the two best public areas in this part of the state. Hope I find something. I'll post it later today.
People talk all the time. 3 coveys means they found 1. If I was a bird I'd be in thick cover where I shouldn't be found..... I find them alot in woods or 15 yards from the edge. If it's public place, they get pounded and know better than to be where they should be found. this year has sucked worse than last.

I actually thought last year would be the best after laying out plans for the last several years about places that I knew held birds. Map out a strategy and voila! No birds. Just keep a journal and eventually you'll be able to make rounds of where you want to be.

I'mn heading northwest Mo. tomorrow for a couple of days. I'll be happy with one covey/day or maybe a rooster or two flushed.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:26 pm

ultracarry wrote:Went out yesterday and didn't see a dam bird either... until the last five minutes. Dog went on point within 60 yards of my truck. Thinking she was screwing around I had my gun unloaded and over my shoulder when all heck broke loose. I let her point a few singles and blanked them. Then made it home for.Christmas with 1 minute to spare.

I lived in Lake Elsinore when I saw my first birddog and started looking into them. Always thought the birds were all in South Dakota, Kansas, Texas, etc, until I moved and found out there were birds all around me! What kind of birds do you get into most?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:02 am

Stoneface wrote:
ultracarry wrote:Went out yesterday and didn't see a dam bird either... until the last five minutes. Dog went on point within 60 yards of my truck. Thinking she was screwing around I had my gun unloaded and over my shoulder when all heck broke loose. I let her point a few singles and blanked them. Then made it home for.Christmas with 1 minute to spare.

I lived in Lake Elsinore when I saw my first birddog and started looking into them. Always thought the birds were all in South Dakota, Kansas, Texas, etc, until I moved and found out there were birds all around me! What kind of birds do you get into most?
Valley quail. With a 20 minute drive we get into 200-300 birds in one location guaranteed. It's about a 1.5 hour drive for chukar and mountain quail.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Half the folks say Valleys won't hold for anything, half say they won't hold in a covey but will hold when they're borken into singles. What do you think?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:35 pm

I went out with brad the other week and they wouldn't hold less they were in smaller groups 4-6. Larger covey broke up and flew far...

Went out again last week and had the first covey hold (30 birds). The next covey took off while I was on the opposite ridge ( prob 100+-) .. another covey held (40 +- ) and my dog was right in the middle when I got there. Broke up the covey and had shots but didn't take any... went and worked the 100+ covey and had a lot of smaller groups hold and shot 3 then went home.

Christmas had a few points on some smaller groups that ran. The final covey when I got back to the truck held tight and they all busted as I walked up ( a whole lot of birds).

Prob doesn't help much but I think it depends on the overall pressure on the birds. I have had a few guys see me hunting. They got out and tried to cut me and the dog off. I said some not no nice things.... noticed different hulls in those locations where people have saw us hunting. ( brad and I don't leave them on the ground)

The other day the wind was dead and my dog was on point with her head in a bush... thinking it was a mouse or rabbit I was walking up to her ( to tell he no) and 4 birds flew out.

pumatom

Post by pumatom » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Just got to be persistent, and keep hunting. If there are birds in the area.
I don't know much bout quail, but I walked around 40 miles before I found any Chukars this fall.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Sorry Rowdy, I talked my wife into going with me and my son yesterday. Hit 3 coveys and only 1 was the same as told you about. Sometimes wild birds flush before you get there. Your dog isnt getting out of sight by chance? I should be available next wed if interested give me a hollar, you have my number.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks, Jim, but I think I'm gonna have to cool it for awhile. Shawnee, being the closes area, is about an hour-and-half and it's a good $30 round trip. Went four times last week. Besides that, I start work on Wednesday (thank goodness), so I'll have money to actually fund my birdless hikes in the future. :roll:

I think we'd be getting into birds, but the dogs aren't dogs, they're puppies and are just running to and fro. We'll get it licked before long. Just need a little luck to get us started.

You got anything planned this summer? I was thinking about going up to the Nebraska sandhills and putting the dogs on some Sharptails, if money permits. Probably be up there for less than a week, though.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:47 pm

Stoneface wrote:Half the folks say Valleys won't hold for anything, half say they won't hold in a covey but will hold when they're borken into singles. What do you think?
I have had good luck on both covies and singles, there are a couple good sized covies that hang around the house that I use to break my dogs on. In comparison to chukar the valleys take quite a bit more pressure to stick.

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Stoneface wrote:Thanks, Jim, but I think I'm gonna have to cool it for awhile. Shawnee, being the closes area, is about an hour-and-half and it's a good $30 round trip. Went four times last week. Besides that, I start work on Wednesday (thank goodness), so I'll have money to actually fund my birdless hikes in the future. :roll:

I think we'd be getting into birds, but the dogs aren't dogs, they're puppies and are just running to and fro. We'll get it licked before long. Just need a little luck to get us started.

You got anything planned this summer? I was thinking about going up to the Nebraska sandhills and putting the dogs on some Sharptails, if money permits. Probably be up there for less than a week, though.
I know a guy headed to the sandhills again this summer,i'll check to see if he has room for ya!

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks, Red. If you don't mind my asking, what's his name?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:38 am

Years ago i thought about moving to SD-called my wife in AK and told her I had found a good place to move to and a place to buy- she said TREES- I said last thursday and dat was dat- we moved to Wisc instead. I still go to SD for pheasant and waterfowl hunts.

bluestemkennels

Post by bluestemkennels » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:56 am

Stoneface wrote: You got anything planned this summer? I was thinking about going up to the Nebraska sandhills and putting the dogs on some Sharptails, if money permits. Probably be up there for less than a week, though.
Most of the public land is off limits to dog training in the summer. Head up in september and bring your shotgun. Oh, and if you think you are doing a lot of walking looking for quail, get ready to be schooled. Sharp tails don't give it up easy. Good luck.
Bluestem Kennels
AKC Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder
www.bluestemkennels.com

tailcracken

Post by tailcracken » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:31 pm

just keep going ive been bird hunting for over 20 years i hunt mo, ks, heck i blank all the time in mo and this is where i know coveys of quail i have gotten into before i bet i have hunted mo 12 times this year and only been in 2 or 3 coveys now ks is a diff story when i go out west phesasnt hunting you can go hours and not see any if your not seeing them your doing something wrong few weeks ago i was hunting crp and wasnt seeing any so i parked by some wheat stubble and bang thats what they were in