September 2011

M1Tanker

September 2011

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Ok...a bit late, but now that it is too cold and snow covered up here to get the dogs out, I figured better late than never.

I have a good amount of pics from a good amount of hunting travels this year, so I will break it down to try and piece together for you a memorable season.

September started around the house, the yoop that is.

The early season consists of short hunts, an abundance of young birds that immediately fly 7 feet up into trees and look at you, or birds that will run a young dog right into bumping it...if it is one of the older dogs, they will relocate on the runners until you quit following them.

Gunner had a good opening weekend with the most finds and a grouse bagged.

The second weekend brought some much needed rain and the woodcock opener.

Gretchen loves some woodcock and despite torrid shooting, I managed to bag one of the many she pointed that morning. "Gretchen in da Moonlight", 6 years old, with her woodcock. She has also settled in as a nice dog...pure consistency, an extremely hard worker and eager to please:

Panzer, age 2 1/2 was in the middle of transferring yard and field work to the woods and didn't make this hunt as I had a young fella along with me learning how to grouse hunt.

Gunner made this hunt and provided a textbook example of how to pin a runner and I connected to close the deal. He is a nice old dog...at 10 years old, he has been one helluva dog. He has always been the one that you just needed to strap a bell on, shut your mouth, and learn a lot about hunting grouse from:

Gunner and I at the end of the day...soaking wet. I love the smell of a wet bird dog:

A decent start to the season. Next up...October in WI, MN, and Montana.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: September 2011

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:26 am

Gotta love it. You have a good looking crew there. Thanks for sharing.

I have a bunch that are in categories like yours from young to old. The young ones learning, the middle ones honing skills and My old ones are a little slower and fatter this year but still the true champs of the grouse woods on our "spooky" Maine Ruffs.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

dualsetter

Post by dualsetter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:46 am

Very nice summary and pics. Nice looking string you have, thanks for sharing your outings.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Nice dogs! Sounds like a good year. So a SxS with double trigger's. What do you have there? Looks nice.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Sorry for the rookie question but are those counters on your lanyard for points/birds taken?

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:13 pm

DonF wrote:Nice dogs! Sounds like a good year. So a SxS with double trigger's. What do you have there? Looks nice.
It is a Stoeger Uplander 28 gauge. Nice little gun that I picked up over the summer and had the barrels opened up a bit (fixed choke)...I love it and it didn't set me back that much at all. I had real good luck with the same model in 20 gauge also, but that one is much heavier than the 28 gauge.

Seacowboy, I use my flush counter as one side for grouse and one side for woodcock...and not a rookie question at all. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the kind comments about the pups folks.