Deer recovery

Georgia Boy

Deer recovery

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Not sure if anyone here will appreciate this but I figured what the heck.
I got the call about 9 am, guy said he had shot a buck at 7:45 am and couldnt find it. I told him I was at work but could meet him at 5pm., He was worried about the time frame but I told him it was the best I could do. I got home from work, loaded up Dachs and my son Michael and headed out. When we got there I told him to show me where the deer was at when he shot it, I saw white hair so I know it was gut shot. Had some blood for about 50 yards then I could see nothing else, at about 100 yards I saw another spot of blood. We left a stand of small timber and crossed another small field then started up the mountian. There was a small draw which was where I expected the deer to run but the dog took us up the ridge and over the top. We started down the other side and after about 40 yards there the deer lay. It was shot in the front of the right rear quarter and exited from the belly around his junk. With this shot we were very lucky to recover this deer at all.

Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Deer recovery

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Nice work, your Dachs dog sure sounds like a good one.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:24 am

Wish we could get the law changed to allow tracking/recovery around here. I have to pretend I am bird hunting.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:06 am

Thank's for sharing.

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:51 am

nice work, way to trust the dog. i did 2 this season sofar booth were train wrecks! not to mention the hacking i got about my dog. if i do anymore it will be my own and use it for pratcice for vgp.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:28 am

That's awesome!!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:21 am

Great work. Good to recover what ever we can how ever.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:00 am

good find, i've got one of my shorthairs tracking as well.

windswept

Post by windswept » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:05 am

Good job, Mike!
With a shot like that it's probably just as well that it was left alone for a few hours.
Tom

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:19 am

slistoe wrote:Wish we could get the law changed to allow tracking/recovery around here. I have to pretend I am bird hunting.
Ditto!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Just curious. I'm not a deer or big game hunter, just birds, but my GWP is deer crazy and I'm planning on avoidance training him so he doesn't bolt at the first scent like he does now. I'm curious how you control this drive in your dog when you don't want him tracking a deer?

muckdog

Post by muckdog » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:10 pm

They learn to know the difference...when we go to track she has a different collar, she is attached to a 30 ft lead, i'm not carrying a gun. When we go bird hunting she is equipped with an ecollar, beeper, etc... I am carrying a gun. She knows the difference, her ears might perk up if a deer jumps up in front of us but she isn't out searching for deer. We can come across hot deer lines when out tracking and she has learned to leave those as well... We train on blood and therefore it's blood she knows she's looking for... They're smart, they learn to know what's expected of them..

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Good tracking pal :wink:

ATB
Dave.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:06 pm

DogNewbie wrote:Just curious. I'm not a deer or big game hunter, just birds, but my GWP is deer crazy and I'm planning on avoidance training him so he doesn't bolt at the first scent like he does now. I'm curious how you control this drive in your dog when you don't want him tracking a deer?
I blow my whistle, he stops chasing the deer or what ever else and lays down and waits for me to come pick him up or release him. I dont try to "control" the prey drive in my dogs the way most people do because not only do we hunt birds and retrieve water fowl, we also hunt predators and wild boar with the same dogs. When tracking wounded game (blood tracking) it is the blood scent we are tracking not animal scent. Otherwise it would be hard for a dog to distinguish the one you shot out of a group of animals. It all comes down to good training. If you want to trash break your dog off everything but birds thats easy.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Ava

Post by Ava » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:16 pm

I use my Ava for tracking deer too & it is more fun than actual deer hunting! she has even found us a deer that had been out all night & half a day... surprised the coyotes didn't get it, but she tracked & pointed it... good job! funny though, when you said Dachs, I thought you were referring to a wirehaired Dachshund! there is a website offering a deer tracking service that uses those. :wink: