I need some phez hunting

4ShotB

I need some phez hunting

Post by 4ShotB » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:17 pm

recommendations. My son and I usually hunt a friend's ranch out in Oklahoma every year in December. My friend has some serious health issues this year, therefore I do not want to impose on him or his family. Would like some suggestions as to where to go (KS, Nebraska, etc.).I have hunted SD before but really what I am looking for is a recommendation for an area that has decent bird numbers that can be hunted on a low budget (I am a school teacher). Willing to pay a reasonable fee for private land access. I don't expect anyone to divulge a honey hole of course, just wanted to be pointed to an area with decent to good bird populations. I appreciate any responses.

deseeker

Re: I need some phez hunting

Post by deseeker » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:07 pm

The numbers in eastern NE are way way down(in my area about 1/10 what it was last year). If you are thinking about Nebraska, you'd better stick to the SW part of the state this year. Hope you find a good place with birds --- SD or ND would be your best bet :roll:

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Unless you are after wild birds only it might be better to try a preserve in your area. Just check for good flying birds. My son and I spent alot of money in KS this year for not. Good luck in your search. No matter what you decide you will enjoy time with your son.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:42 pm

SW ND

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 am

cutty72 wrote:SW ND
$$$$$. caa ching.. caa ching... caa ching..

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 am

We spent 5 days week before Thanksgiving, hunting WIHAs only. Tough, tough hunting - Northwest Kansas, mostly out from Colby. Not many birds at all. We only shot about 10 birds and walked lots and drove even more (about 200 miles a day). Locals said between the drought and spring/summer hail - birds were decimated. We only hunted the high probability areas on the CRP (brushy draws, fence rows, etc.) Our group was working out of WaKeeney and north and east of there was worse than around Colby. Recommend some other state besides Kansas, unfortuately. We've been going to Kansas for several years, worst we've seen. Good luck.

Texas and OK panhandles are not very good either. I have family that farms thousands of acres and they told me not to burn the gas - no birds there either.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:24 pm

i appreciate all responses and PM's. i don't post a lot but this website has been a great resource for me.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Chaingang wrote:
cutty72 wrote:SW ND
$$$$$. caa ching.. caa ching... caa ching..

Talking to the wrong guys.

If you google names of places to hunt, you are going to get fee hunter landowner names.

If you drive around and actually talk to people, there are quite a few that don't charge.
The highest charge we've encountered was the landowner requested that he hunt with us. Too easy.