Quail hunting help?

collinedward

Quail hunting help?

Post by collinedward » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:58 pm

I am very green as far as hunting wild quail and I need some advice. I live south Mississippi and the only advice that I have received was from the area biologist, what he told me was to look for areas that had a burn in the last year or so . Not much help since all the WMA's and hunting grounds have had a recent burn in the last year.

This weekend I spent both days looking for a good quail hunting area. Both times I took a dog and was in the field by 2pm. On Saturday I drove around until I seen what I thought was a good spot. Recent burn and thinner amount of pines. Saturday no birds, but 2 points that produce nothing. Sunday drove to different area looked for the same thing and no birds in those types of areas. So I drove around a little more(45mins before dusk) and found a spot that was recent burn , thin amount of pines and an open field in the middle of. No birds in the field but when I was walking back to the truck through the woods I stopped to call the dog. While I was waiting for him a quail flushed and then 2 more right by me. When the dog finally made his way up there he pointed on the spot where the birds were. He ran around a bit looking and kicked up another one. Quail is nothing new to him, he has probably had a couple hundred shot over him at preserves back in Ohio but has never seen a wild bird before.

Now the questions:

What do you guys do when scouting a new hunting spot?

Does heat affect scenting?

The plants were still very green. Does that affect scenting?

What is the best time of day to hunt or look for quail?

Should I be concerned that the dog didn't find those birds?

Since I did find those 4 birds , is that a sign that might be a good spot and more birds are in the area?

Saturday I spent hours walking with nothing produced, is that a sign that area is a dud? I feel like with the dog and I walking through brush we should have kick up something.

What type habitat should I be looking for?

I don't want anyone to think I haven't done any research. I spent the better part of the week reading anything and everything that has to do with Mississippi quail hunting. Mississippi quail hunters seem to be far and few. I also looked through every Mississippi hunting forum..

Thanks for any help....

Big Dave

Re: Quail hunting help?

Post by Big Dave » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Heat will get them mouth breathing and they won't being scenting birds as well, green cover is also tougher for the dog to smell game birds as well. I would think if I saw four birds that the rest of the covey would be around close.

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:02 pm

That's what I thought...

madduckdog

Post by madduckdog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

get out early when it is cooler.

hunt the area where you found the covie.

don't shoot until the dog starts pointing.

wild birds will not stand for a dog to crowd them tame birds will let a dog get close ... your dog will learn this with a few flushes. When he does hold a point Kill the bird for him.

You may be expecting too much there are not many quail left in the south 2 covies is a gread day. Expect few chances.

Stevo387

Post by Stevo387 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:15 am

I hunt wild Quail down in South Ga. When my dog was first introduced to wild birds she was doing the same as yours flushing early or left me thinking she wasn't finding them or catching the scent. After a few trips out of me not shooting and her flushing birds she finally started to tip toe or creep when she caught the scent. Now she doesn't blast threw the pine tree's looking for birds its kinda like a slow trot to a stalk. Also sometimes she was point about 20-30 yards off. So make sure you walk completely around to see if one is locked down. It took about 5-6 times in the woods for 2-3 hours at a time for her to pick this up.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Quail are edge cover birds. You will find them along the edges of thickets, fields, hedge rows .... at least in this part of the country.
Steve

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:45 am

If it was me I would spend less time driving around and more time burning shoe leather. You aren't likely to just randomly see quail out and about unless there are a lot of birds.
I also like to be in the field about an hour or two after daylight.
Look for places where edges and food source meet. Let your dog roll. I am currently fighting the transition from my dog hunting preserve birds to wild coveys. It takes time and exposure.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:13 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:If it was me I would spend less time driving around and more time burning shoe leather. You aren't likely to just randomly see quail out and about unless there are a lot of birds.
I also like to be in the field about an hour or two after daylight.
Look for places where edges and food source meet. Let your dog roll. I am currently fighting the transition from my dog hunting preserve birds to wild coveys. It takes time and exposure.

Jim
I'm not necessarily driving around looking for birds but a spots where I think might be good. Some areas are thicker with trees and covers versus others. I walked for hours and miles when I went..

ward myers

Post by ward myers » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:56 pm

well i allways find birds when i put a dog down in a management area .
best advice i can give u is look for food sources with cover close by .
and most importantly is be out at 6:45 am ,your green so u dont know how to whistle birds ,but u can still listen for them .
i can send u a clip with a qual whistle.
u need to find a brass quail whistle there about 15 $ i cant remember who carries them im thinking something like knight & hail if memory serves correctly

ward myers

Post by ward myers » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:00 pm

if u can make it to florida ill take u out & show u how its done & but u on wild birds in a management area .
i only hunt from 6:45 am to 11 am ,head back to camper for nap & lunch & head out to whistle up more birds in the afternoon for the next morning

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:38 pm

You might try hunting earlier in the day, one thing we always tried to avoid is busting up covey birds late in the afternoon.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:50 pm

birddog1968 wrote:You might try hunting earlier in the day, one thing we always tried to avoid is busting up covey birds late in the afternoon.

+1, 2pm is the time to quit not start.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:49 pm

birddog1968 wrote:You might try hunting earlier in the day, one thing we always tried to avoid is busting up covey birds late in the afternoon.
Why? Survival reasons?

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:33 am

natetnc wrote:
Why? Survival reasons?

Yea, they are much more vulnerable by themselves as they do not have the rest of their covey watching their backs alerting them of danger. Also, singles can freeze in cold weather without the covey.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:40 am

grouseguy wrote:
natetnc wrote:
Why? Survival reasons?

Yea, they are much more vulnerable by themselves as they do not have the rest of their covey watching their backs alerting them of danger. Also, singles can freeze in cold weather without the covey.
Exactly :wink:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:37 am

I have NEVER had the chance to hunt wild quail so you get your grains of salt ready!
But maybe in south MS, south GA, water might be a resource also. If it has been dry, might looking for small areas of water with cover help? :oops: Just thinking "outloud" though.... Or pre release birds like to hang out in the wet weather creek beds and such here, but they are DUMB LUCK survivors most of the time...