Beeper or no Beeper...That is the question?!

Onk

Beeper or no Beeper...That is the question?!

Post by Onk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:38 pm

I have always used only a bell on my dogs and have never even been around a beeper collar. Is the beeper collar a good investment and if so what one? I've read up on a few of them, the one with the "hawk feature" seems kind of silly to me! But what do I know! :D
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

DSemple

Re: Beeper or no Beeper...That is the question?!

Post by DSemple » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:42 am

Really depends on the type of cover your hunting, your dog, and the birds.

I love a beeper collar in the really tough cover we hunt pheasants in, we'd never find our dogs without it.

When we are working shelter belts or areas with thinner cover I just turn it off.

As far as the hawk call, it doesn't hurt anything. Cabelas used to have a beeper collar that actually sounded like a real hawk that I think did some good.
I'm always happy when I make it thru another bird season with my dogs, my gun and my truck.

It's an added plus if I manage to keep my wife, my house or my job.

dualsetter

Post by dualsetter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:05 am

The beepers take away from the serene experience of the hunt for me, just too intrusive in the grouse cover. They definitley are a good tool, especially for a big running dog or tall grass. I just prefer a small brass bell.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:32 pm

The beepers can be obnoxious, but not more than hearing people whistle and yell trying to find their dogs! If you run them on the silent mode they make way less noise than a bell constantly clanging away. I almost always use one, and if you hunt thick cover or steep country, they will allow you to find the dog quickly when it is on point.

Another great feature is having the ability to "check in" and locate where your dog is without calling them back. I have the tri-tronics and can turn it on and off remotely. If I have not located my dog for a while, I turn it on and off which lets out a series of tones and I can get an idea where the dog is. After she goes on point and I know where she is, I turn it off remotely.

I used to think they were kind of silly, but I now like it much more than listening to a bunch of clanging bells....

frankie's

Post by frankie's » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:40 pm

I had a bell for my gsp but she is a big runner and we hunt in dense cover so switched to a Tri-tonics beeper (found on ebay the older model for $30) after I had trouble locating her a couple of times and loosing birds. It is true that it is a bit obnoxious but I got used to it quickly and honestly I think it is the best tool for us. Always know where she is and can easily get to her when she is on point.

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:56 pm

I run a DT collar that can be turned on or off remotely. Also run her with a Garmin Astro as she likes to run big. Too much money and time invested in the dog. Not to mention the emotional bond.

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:06 pm

+1! What he said.

cheers
Wyobio wrote:The beepers can be obnoxious, but not more than hearing people whistle and yell trying to find their dogs! If you run them on the silent mode they make way less noise than a bell constantly clanging away. I almost always use one, and if you hunt thick cover or steep country, they will allow you to find the dog quickly when it is on point.

Another great feature is having the ability to "check in" and locate where your dog is without calling them back. I have the tri-tronics and can turn it on and off remotely. If I have not located my dog for a while, I turn it on and off which lets out a series of tones and I can get an idea where the dog is. After she goes on point and I know where she is, I turn it off remotely.

I used to think they were kind of silly, but I now like it much more than listening to a bunch of clanging bells....

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:09 am

I don't know about pen raised birds, this will be my first year on pen pheasants but when I lived in OK we would use the hawk whistle when we hit the field. You could see the pheasants drop immediately and not move. You could watch pheasants run down a corn row and then disappear when the whistle was hit. They would hold well.

It doesn't hurt to have the option if you need it. I am looking into a beeper caller too. Like the idea of the remote on and off.

Joe

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Beeper Here. Dogtra2002. Has the locate button, run and point mode, or just point. Really came in hand the other day when the new pup took off in heavy cover. Would never run with out one.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:34 pm

I run a bell and a beeper in point-only mode. The beeper doesn't seem to bother the birds, and I can turn it on & off remotely. The problem with using just a bell is the bell stops working when the dog goes on point. Most of the people I hunt with also use a bell & beeper, although a few just use a beeper in point-only mode. Run tones on a beeper are incredibly annoying.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:22 am

Good info! I saw one or two of you list a brand of collar, is there any beeper collar that I should steer clear of?

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:25 am

I just got back from the U P and i would no go without a collar, mine can be turned on/off at handheld and would run it as needed. Mostly as a locate but sometimes ran long periods depending on cover. Did not think it effected birds as much as weather conditions did. Will be going to Neb next week and will use it the same way. You get use to the sound shortly. Well worth the investment. Tony

elkhuntingfool

Post by elkhuntingfool » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:01 pm

My friend has a beeper that you can turn on if needed - which is a great feature. To me I'd rather not hear and annoying beeper or bells, etc.. while I'm out hunting - which is just my opinion - I know there are others that have bells on their dogs - but sounds like a milk cow coming to feed and gives me flashbacks as a kid and my hands cramp up :mrgreen:

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:57 pm

nj gsp wrote:I run a bell and a beeper in point-only mode. The beeper doesn't seem to bother the birds, and I can turn it on & off remotely. The problem with using just a bell is the bell stops working when the dog goes on point. Most of the people I hunt with also use a bell & beeper, although a few just use a beeper in point-only mode. Run tones on a beeper are incredibly annoying.
I run the same here as well..Mine is the TT G2 200. Never had any problems with birds.
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

southwayno

Post by southwayno » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:03 pm

I use a lovett's on point mode. And its made in the US.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Save your money and preserve the quietness of the woods and prairies. Buy an Astro.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

norcalshoot

Post by norcalshoot » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:50 pm

I think the hawk scream does hold the birds tighter. I have lots of chickens and domestic-wild turkeys at my house. If i turn my tri-tronic beeper on hawk scream all the birds hit the dirt and start squawking the same as they do when they see a hawk fly over head. I have never seen a wild upland birds response to the beeper though

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Beepers can get annoying but I don't see how it's possible to locate a dog on point in thick cover without one (especially cattails). I generally turn mine on point mode only and use the locate feature if I'm not sure where the dogs are.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:12 pm

I hate'm myself....Beepers or bells...They annoy the heck out of me. I just use the Astro.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:27 pm

birddogger wrote:I hate'm myself....Beepers or bells...They annoy the heck out of me. I just use the Astro.

Charlie

I've wondered about those. Do you actually hold it and look at the screen as you approach the area the dog is supposed to be?

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Point only for all but the brit. If the cover is light enough that you can see the dogs all the time, just turn them off remotely.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:58 am

grouseguy wrote:
birddogger wrote:I hate'm myself....Beepers or bells...They annoy the heck out of me. I just use the Astro.

Charlie

I've wondered about those. Do you actually hold it and look at the screen as you approach the area the dog is supposed to be?
I carry it in a holster or holder of some type. The transmitter is a collar with an antenna which ofcourse is on the dog. At any time you can look at the screen and it will tell you what direction and how many yards away the dog is. It will also indicate whether the dog is moving or standing still. I love mine and it gives me a great peace of mind.

Charlie

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:24 am

birddogger wrote:
grouseguy wrote:

Charlie

I carry it in a holster or holder of some type. The transmitter is a collar with an antenna which ofcourse is on the dog. At any time you can look at the screen and it will tell you what direction and how many yards away the dog is. It will also indicate whether the dog is moving or standing still. I love mine and it gives me a great peace of mind.

Charlie

Sounds like something I could make good use of.....as soon as it fits in the budget.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:56 pm

grouseguy wrote:Beepers can get annoying but I don't see how it's possible to locate a dog on point in thick cover without one (especially cattails). I generally turn mine on point mode only and use the locate feature if I'm not sure where the dogs are.
1). Buy Astro.
2). Dress Fido in Orange vest.
3). Follow arrow to said Fido.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Charlie
In big wide open, rolling country, the Astros sound pretty cool. I hunt some steep, country that can split into multiple drainages that create obstructions like cliffs and multiple valleys and hills. I have heard from several owners of the Astro's that once their dog moves out of the draw they are standing in, they lose the signal from their dogs.

Any thoughts?

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Wyobio wrote:

Charlie
In big wide open, rolling country, the Astros sound pretty cool. I hunt some steep, country that can split into multiple drainages that create obstructions like cliffs and multiple valleys and hills. I have heard from several owners of the Astro's that once their dog moves out of the draw they are standing in, they lose the signal from their dogs.

Any thoughts?

There is a chance that the Astro could loose signal, but it takes you to the last know position.

However, if you dog is two canyons over, are you going to hear the bell or the beeps, not likely.

Drahts, loose the vest and get a white dog :D

Well at least till it snows :roll:
Steve

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:17 pm

I use a DT collar on quail in MO but never tried it in KS thought it scare the pheasants. :?:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Wyobio wrote:

Charlie

Any thoughts?
From what I have heard, that could be a problem. I haven't had any experience with it in that type of terrain.

Charlie

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:28 am

We were in upper mi a month ago and you wouldn't find a dog on point without a locator beeper of some kind.
Also, if not for the beeper on Other guys dog in the woods he would have gotten shot at. Had a grouse fly 5 foot crossing
left and at the last second I heard his dogs collar beeping and didn't take the shot luckly. I asked the guy didn't you hear the
on point beeper Going off on our dogs collar? He said Yea but I didn't know what it was so I walked over to to see what was going
on. Hello, hunting ,loaded guns, :roll:
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Wyobio wrote:

Any thoughts?
I haven't had a problem with it in the rolling hill of SD, but I could see that a steep canyon could be a problem. Once, I was hunting the edge of a WPA in SD, when the Astro signaled POINT. I followed it over a steep hill (for SD), down the other side, and to the bank of the lake. No dog. I jumped off the bank and there the dog was with a hen pinned in the undercut of the lake edge. Pretty cool.

I can't give you a definite answer because I've never used it in the canyons of the west.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:29 pm

SetterNut wrote: ly.

Drahts, loose the vest and get a white dog :D

Well at least till it snows :roll:
I had them for nearly 20 years. Still had to put a vest on to find them in the snow. Well, not always. Sometimes they were so loaded with burrs they were brown balls!!

Looks like that birdie is right under the finding dog's nose!!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:06 pm

pinebrookkennel wrote:We were in upper mi a month ago and you wouldn't find a dog on point without a locator beeper of some kind.
Also, if not for the beeper on Other guys dog in the woods he would have gotten shot at. Had a grouse fly 5 foot crossing
left and at the last second I heard his dogs collar beeping and didn't take the shot luckly. I asked the guy didn't you hear the
on point beeper Going off on our dogs collar? He said Yea but I didn't know what it was so I walked over to to see what was going
I wouldn't be hunting a place like that to begin with...But that's just me.

Charlie

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:10 am

birddogger wrote:
pinebrookkennel wrote:We were in upper mi a month ago and you wouldn't find a dog on point without a locator beeper of some kind.
I wouldn't be hunting a place like that to begin with...But that's just me.

Charlie
I wouldn't be hunting with guys like that if I had to put a beeper on my dog so I wouldn't be shot.

I hunt that same country, no bells, no beepers, Astro only.

Finn

Post by Finn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi,

I have never used bells or beepers because they are really distracting for me. Some hunters in Finland (where I usually hunt) use Astro and I've herd it works well. However, most hunters, at least those who go to field trials with their pointers, just teach their dogs to "inform" (i'm not sure what's the correct word for this) where the bird is. I mean that when the dog finds the bird and the hunter doesn't find the dog in time - the dog should find the hunter and take him back to the bird and point again. If the dog does not do it automatically by himself then one can also whistle - that's what I do with my dog. If one want's to do well in Finnish field trials the dog has to be able to do this - otherwise there will be no success. But I don't know what the "rules" are here. This video might explain it better what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4226agNjvY
Last edited by Finn on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:21 pm

They were not hunting with us, just ran into them in the woods.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:34 pm

pinebrookkennel wrote:They were not hunting with us, just ran into them in the woods.

I think beepers let the wolves and other predators get away from you before there's a chance for a confrontation. Just thinking out loud....no evidence (other than not running into predators with 20+ days a year spent in Northern MN)

Roccus

Post by Roccus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:12 pm

The only thing wrong with beepers are the guys who misuse them. Specifically, those who run the beeper constantly. I even know one guy who runs the hawk call constantly. I'm a traditionalist and only use a bell. I seem to be able to listen to it subconsciously and now where the dog is when it stops. That being said, I would not hesitate to use the beeper in unfamiliar, heavy cover but only on point only mode with the option of a manual beep if I've lost track of the dog. The sound of a dog bell is a very enjoyable part of the bird hunting tradition.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:16 am

Let me tag a add on question to this.....Is there a training or break in period for the dogs when you start using a beeper? Or do they just do their thing and not seem to worry about the beeping?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:15 am

I know the dogs that I will need the beeper on so I introduce them to it only when training on live birds planted. They learn quickly that when we put the collar on and they are on the bird that they may get a chance at a retrieve. One of them is more sensitive to it and she actually makes decisions faster when she has it on. In other words if it is weak scent she will leave sooner and not waste so much time there. But when she has a bird for sure she does not budge.

I use a beeper only on two of my dogs because they go out of hearing range with the bells. Cabelas had a beeper only that had different settings, water proof and easy to use, easy on batteries. I like being able to change batteries as opposed to recharging as most of the places I go there is no power and I forget to charge on some day trips.

I hate that hawk scream. Why do you need it? Your dog is supposed to be able to hold the bird to some degree. Why listen to that obnoxious noise. The beeper is bad enough. Ironically, I do not find the beeper only or the bells to be annoying. But the Cabelas beeper is easy to adjust for volume, ( a piece of duct tape over the opening, leaving some of it open till you get the volume you want).
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:29 am

We hunt NE Wisconsin's Tag Alder/Popple cover and used to use bells. They drove me nuts! Couldn't find the dog when on point, and I could still hear the clanging in my head while I was bow hunting in the afternoon. We now use beepers, and they are great! They probably do scare the grouse, but they are so spooky anyway from hunting pressure, that it may not matter.
Another reason I don't use a bell anymore is I think the wolves may be attracted to them. We bear hunt with the 'hound guys', who run their dogs with Astro units and a bell(so they can hear the dogs coming), they are discontinuing the bell use as they get more Astro collars because they've found that the dogs that were attacked by wolves had bells on. Sort of like a dinner bell for those evil buggers! I hope the electronic sound of the beepers act as a bit of wolf repellent! Plus my Setters and Wirehair are much closer to me than a bear hound!

We use a Dogtra T&B(e-collar and beeper) and an old Sonic-Pro which is my favorite(unfortunately no longer sold).
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:44 am

dawgmama wrote:We hunt NE Wisconsin's Tag Alder/Popple cover and used to use bells. They drove me nuts! Couldn't find the dog when on point, and I could still hear the clanging in my head while I was bow hunting in the afternoon.
Truest quote I ever heard about a bell is "A bell stops when you need it the most". :D

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:36 pm

I use the beeper as a locator and the hawk screamer as a safe guard. While hunting rolling hills it’s easy to keep his location with the beeper. If he’s out of sight and I want to reel him in closer, I’ll make sure the hawk screamer is not going off if I have to nick him.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I tried the hawk scream before, and it seemed the birds flushed out wild on the second or third scream. I switched back to the beep and the problem went away. Not a scientific study, but it was enough to convince me.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:37 pm

Until recently I used nothing just the ecollar. But recently I have been working with a dog on trash breaking (some of you here are aware of my recent hunt test :oops: :oops: ) and we have heavy cover and "hills and hollers." I took him out with the beeper on locate only mode and found it helpful, but wished I could hear it better. Was hard to hear when he was up over the top of the ridge from me. Also if he was down in the deep creekbeds it was hard to hear. So I tried the bell to see if it was better. I liked the jingling bell sound as I could walk and just listen without looking for him all the time, but it really only carried about 40 yards and that was NOT enough. Beeper locater reached further but still not always far enough. Wished I had the GPS but again it's alot of money if its going to get messed up by the terrain...

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Charlie
The Astro is great for finding cool information like the distance of a point or speed and range of the dog, but is annoying to use as a way to keep track of the dogs location. When hunting I don't want to have to keep looking at my Astro to know where the dog is. I'd much rather use my ears with a bell to know where my dog is. I've forgotten my bell a couple times when hunting or training on wild birds and what I've found is that I have a harder time handling my dog without the bell. It is more difficult to call my setter to the front if I'm turning or if she takes a long cast. I think the bell in combination with the Astro is the best way to go. A beeper collar with a locate feature can be useful in heavy cover. There have been times when even with the Astro I couldn't find my setter because once you get with something like 10-15 yards the Astro just reads Near.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:56 pm

I hunted birds with a bell for years. Switched to beepers and never looked back. In the snow, the best place for a bell is in the truck. Doesn't get clogged up there.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.