Pa pheasant opener

bwire

Pa pheasant opener

Post by bwire » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:26 am

I know its not the same in Pa as it is in other parts of the country but me and the dogs had a good time. Hunted for about 3 hours today. The dogs worked well and found some birds. They seemed to be hanging out in woody cover where it was very wet and slopy. The dogs had several points on the day and produced 4 roosters. One was in a safety zone and two others got away by flying behind trees. Both dogs had a nice point on another and I was able to hit him good. But not as good as I thought and he go up and ran into the woods. The dogs looked for him for about 25 minutes. They ran through the creek, jumped over the creek and covered the ground where I last saw the bird. Then I notice that Blitz is not around. A little later I hear him running through the sloppy mud and I hear a short cackle. I can hear Blitz running and he's about 100 yards away from me. Then I see him come out of the woods with a very wet rooster. I shot him in the left wing but he could still run. That was the only bird in the bag but it was very enjoyable.
The dogs didn't want to stop for a picture and this is the best I could do.
Hope others had some luck out there.

hoof

Re: Pa pheasant opener

Post by hoof » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:50 pm

This was Kaisers first time out since he was at the trainers this past summer. He did bust three birds by working too close, but he had two nice points, and I took both birds. One point he was really staunch, with a paw up and everything, but he was looking directly into a tree trunk. The bird was about 4 feet off his flank, I guess he must have caught the scent and just locked up right where he was.
CHAZ

bwire

Post by bwire » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Took the day off from work and had a nice day. Blitz pointed one bird and finished it with a retrieve. Nittany and Blitz pinned one between themselves in some switchgrass and Blitz made another retrieve. It was a nice day.

bfred

Post by bfred » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Days off work don't come any finer.

That's an extremely nice lookin' pair of Vizslas you have.