South West North Dakota Hunt

deseeker

South West North Dakota Hunt

Post by deseeker » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:45 pm

I hunted southwest North Dakota(Bowman area) last week. The pheasant numbers are down by about 30% in this area---There still was plenty of birds to shoot(we picked up our 2 man limit of 24 roosters in 4 days, plus a bonus sharptail, didn't see any huns this year.. It was a wet Spring, so the hatch was later than usual--Alot of the birds we saw were 1/2 grown and their colors were just starting to turn. Last year this area was mostly wheat--this year there is a lot more corn and sunflower fields(not picked yet)--a lot of birds headed to the unpicked fields when we got close. If you have hunted this area before, the cover is a little taller than normal due to the wetter Spring--I could still see my britts most of the time(80%) and didn't use a bell or beeper. Even though it was a little tougher hunt, it was a great time :!: :!: :!: I'd like to post some pictures, but while my dogs and I were in ND, my camera was sitting on my table in NE.(I put in on the table so I wouldn't forget it :lol: :lol:). I hope this helps out anybody heading to this area to hunt.

cutty72

Re: South West North Dakota Hunt

Post by cutty72 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:15 pm

I just got back from a weekend out by Regent, ND myself. Had a great time with sponsors (who are donors to Bismarck Cancer Center Foundation) and military vets going out and hunting land donated by the owners for us to hunt on.
We had no issues filling our 8 man limit each day, but you are correct, there are a lot of young birds. Quite a few that were called hen as they broke we later saw color on as the flew past.

Glad you got out and had a good time!

southernblues

Re: South West North Dakota Hunt

Post by southernblues » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Awesome story Doug. Jealous this early in fall you were out doing manly things with the dogs. I was really worried for that area last spring when all that snow melted and there was so much water in dakotas.

So I know them dogs of yours don't miss a beat....so how was the shooting?? Only thing better in your post of course would have been pics, so I suppose we wait for the next hunt.

Which dogs did you take? How did Penny 5 do?

I just got my launcher and new e-collar in. Doing another chukar day this weekend, will be in MO for quail opener on Nov 5th/6th, North Central KS Nov 12th-15th, North of Dodge from 16-19th. SEKansas rest of November and then back out to western KS in Dec. Let me know if when/you go western KS, we may be out and have lots of private ground.