Sept 17, Wisconsin

Brittlver

Sept 17, Wisconsin

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:52 am

Who will be heading out opening weekend in search of our Grouse population. Since there is no birds by me I guess I think I will be heading Navarino Wildlife area. Should be nice and cool in the morning and evening.

Jesse

mik

Re: Sept 17, Wisconsin

Post by mik » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Probably get out for a few hours...Won't have my sites too high still a lot of green on the trees....

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:51 pm

I will be out. Probably in my tshirt with bloody arms by the end of the day

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Brittlver, do you hunt Navarino much for grouse? Just wondering how you have done there? Does it get alot of pressure, not just for grouse, but bowhunters, etc?
I have never been there. Do you pick up woodcock as well? Feel free to send me a PM if this is your favorite hotspot that you don't wish to share with the entire world wide web.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:20 pm

I have never grouse hunted there yet so not sure of that. I know it does not get to much pressure from Bowhunters. I used to drive by there alot and never really saw any trucks. I think Woodcock would probably be good there, alot of lower areas for them. I am hoping there is at least one or two to find. We can meet up and check it out together if you want. Otherwise I will let you know how it goes. My uncle - in - law has land a couple miles from there and I have kicked up a couple on his property so I am guessing it will be ok.

Jesse

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks for the offer Jesse. I will actually be bowhunting for elk in Wyoming on our grouse opener. Leave a post and let us know how you do.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:03 am

I'll likely come down from the U.P. to hunt at our cabin near Florence. It's opening weekend...you gotta get out, but I really wish they would push the opener back to October 1st.

MTR

Post by MTR » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 am

M1Tanker wrote:I'll likely come down from the U.P. to hunt at our cabin near Florence. It's opening weekend...you gotta get out, but I really wish they would push the opener back to October 1st.
That's a first! - A person from the UP having a cabin in WI :D

I agree with you that I wish they would push the opener. It's too hot and the cover is horrible without that first hard frost. Every year I say that I won't go out for the opener for those reasons, and every year I end up going. This year I am going to finally take my own advice. Save that weekend away in my "stash" for one later in in the fall!
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:09 am

I have to confess, I am from WI originally and not a true yooper :)

I moved up here for the bird hunting and to get away from the crowds...I think I have accomplished that pretty well.

However, I do make it back down to Sconnie for some hunting a few weekends and definitely the week the orange army is in the woods up here, which is a week before it occurs in WI.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:29 am

Less than a week to go and cool temps heading our way. Load em up

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Went scouting the last two weekends and have been finding a few birds, can't wait for the opener to really bust the brush. :D

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:51 am

Working at putting everything together this week. Getting my dad to come with me on opener. This will be his first time hunting in more then 15 years. It will be nice to be hunting with him again. Can't beat it. Hunting with my new dog, wife and father. It will be a great weekend.

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 am

the weather up north looks like its cooperating. can't wait to get out.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 am

*****3 MORE DAYS******

Anyone excited as me

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:48 am

Brittlver wrote:*****3 MORE DAYS******

Anyone excited as me
YES! I'll be west of you guys, though. Diggin these cold temps....should be great even if the birds aren't as numerous as years past.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 am

This opener is going to be the best I ever had so far. Here are the reasons why:

1. Hunting with my wife.
2. Hunting with my Father, First time he's been out since I was 14, I'm 28 now.
3. Hunting with my first dog, Molly
4. Picking up another hunting buddy, from Gittrdonebritts. Hope he did something with this dog already. LOL J/K Joe.

Jesse

southwayno

Post by southwayno » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 am

Me and the ugly dog will be heading up to Wausua this weekend. I cant wait. :D

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Season Opener is tomorrow. I will be out in Navarino in the afternoon. Have to pic up my wifes new pup tomorrow morning then will be heading on up. Getting antsy.

Jesse

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:04 pm

I too will be out there..Been seeing a lot of birds in those thick woods. And then, heading to MN for some pheas hunt and to MI for more grouse..I can't sleep. Got my guns in bed with me now :-)
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Brittlver wrote:Season Opener is tomorrow. I will be out in Navarino in the afternoon. Have to pic up my wifes new pup tomorrow morning then will be heading on up. Getting antsy.

Jesse
Jesse, thats awesome that your wife is getting her own pup and you guys are gonna hunt opening day tomorrow..make sure you take pics to share of it all, i would really like to hear about your pups progress too, good luck tomorrow WOO HOO!! ..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Where you going to be at Birdman. I will be in that area all weekend. If you are not to far maybe we can hook up Sunday.

Jesse

mik

Post by mik » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Went for a conditioning walk with the 12 gauge and the youngster managed two rock solid points on two Timberdoodles within 30 minutes of being in the woods....Nice to be able to take a dog out was a bit warm at 65 degrees but just wanted him in the woods runnin so mission accomplished....A lot of green still around was glad I had the bell on him.......
Goin be a fun 2nd season with Konig der Holzer!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Went out for a bit. Did not see a single bird. Going to do some research and see if I can find a place that has some birds. There were a ton of bowhunters at navarino so couldn't wonder to much. Any info you guys could provide would be great. I am in the Fox Valley now.

Jesse

mik

Post by mik » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Brittlver wrote:Went out for a bit. Did not see a single bird. Going to do some research and see if I can find a place that has some birds. There were a ton of bowhunters at navarino so couldn't wonder to much. Any info you guys could provide would be great. I am in the Fox Valley now.

Jesse
I grew up in Fond du Lac and graduated from UW-O. I think you're going to have to point the vehicle North a few hours for the Thunderchickens and Timberdoodles....

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:55 am

Gentlemen,
Good hunting to all you western gentelmen & ladies, make sure to post some pictures so us easterners can drool all over them, cause we have to wait a few more weeks.
RGD/Dave

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:04 am

Sat I got tied up but made it out today. Rainy and cold but put up 4 timberdoodles and 2 grouse. My older dog had 1 nice point.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:26 pm

No birds today. Hopefully I can make it up north soon. I really want to get molly on a bird.

Jesse

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Got out again after the pack won. More birds. More rain. Great to be out in the woods

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Gentlemen,
Good hunting to all you western gentelmen & ladies, make sure to post some pictures so us easterners can drool all over them, cause we have to wait a few more weeks.
RGD/Dave

Quail, chukar and water fowl start oct. 15 here so It will be awhile before any pics are posted from us californians

MTR

Post by MTR » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:16 am

Went out trying to chase a turkey up in southwestern Wisconsin on Saturday morning. Of course I see 5 across the road from the in-laws farm picking through the cow manure in a pasture as I was driving up! I could have probably gone and asked the Amish landowner for permission - but why would that have been any fun for me or the dog. I guess that's why we call it hunting and not shooting. Walked the CRP and pastures for the morning, met the in-laws for lunch (burgers on the camp stove) and back out for a nice walk through some of the woods and stream bottoms and back through the crp again. The Astro had recorded 15 miles for the dog. Beautiful day to be out for a nice walk. Looking forward to woodcock opener this weekend in the Northwoods and going to try and make a long weekend of it.
1dog.jpg
2dog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Rob

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:27 am

That boy needs a drink! Theres alot of pink were his mouth should be. IMO.

MTR

Post by MTR » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:52 am

Mike50 wrote:That boy needs a drink! Theres alot of pink were his mouth should be. IMO.
Oh - he comes back and checks in for water. We burned through two camel backs that morning (over a gallon total) and took a short break and water every 15-20 minutes. I think that pic was taken when he was coming back to check in.

Wish I could have gotten out on Sunday, but had honey-do list to work on in the morning. Decided to reload the 20 and 28 ga shells that I shot up this summer gunning at clays, training, and tests. One case of 28ga and 2 cases of 20ga loaded up last night. Right arm is sore from pulling that lever but I am really prepared for season now!
- Rob

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:27 am

Well I have been up here in the U P of MI for Grouse which opened September 15. This is my first time here to hunt. I have been traveling around and checking out likely cover. I am hunting by myself. That and heavy vegetation makes it almost impossible to get a shot. Opening day of Grouse season was a very windy day with intermittent showers until about 3:00 PM. Bottom line is that I did not get too even take a shot today. However, Coffee did let me know a Grouse was near and I heard it take off but never saw it. Coffee also produced 3 Woodcock over the course of the day. She is such a cautious dog that I have seen Woodcock run away from her. She will track them but not put enough pressure on them when relocating to pin them.

Well day two was a bust with only two grouse flushes and never seeing any of them when Coffee was down and two stop to flushes on Woodcock when Feather was down. Just the luck of the draw for the dogs since I alternate them in new cover. I was beginning to think I would never see a grouse because of all the leaves still on the trees.

The third day started out no better. Late in the afternoon I changed tactics. I put both dogs down at the same time. Feather runs through cover like a bull in a china shop. Grouse hear this racket coming through the cover and hop up into a tree to see what is going on. She locks up when she hits sent. Beeper collar sound off. I come over to investigate. Luck came my way. Coffee and her sister Feather are two very happy dogs.

Day four was back to frustration again. New cover and only two more grouse moved. At least got a glimpse of these birds but no shots.

Today is a day off because it is raining out.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Brittlver wrote:Where you going to be at Birdman. I will be in that area all weekend. If you are not to far maybe we can hook up Sunday.

Jesse
Jesse, Sorry been out hunting all weekend. Northern WI is a lot better. I hunted from Lakewood (The Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest) area and saw numerous birds. Dogs had good points but too thick for decent shots. I'll be heading to MI (Huron-Manistee National Forests in northern Michigan) for next week's hunt.. A friend from that area said he did very well on opening day.

I'll be heading to MN for their pheas opening day..Several freinds and I will be in the Rochester area and southern MN.
If you come up northen WI again, PM me..Most of my friends are into big game at this time, so most time I'm out by myself, or wife and daughter.
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com