Hunting around Saint Louis, mo

bstranger

Hunting around Saint Louis, mo

Post by bstranger » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:42 pm

I moved to saint louis recently and wondered what were some of the better quail hunting lands? Can be either in Illinois or MO. Thanks in advance, and I know I will probably have to drive quite a ways....

bstranger

Re: Hunting around Saint Louis, mo

Post by bstranger » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Also took a newer picture of Shadow the other day...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Might check over around Troy, Elsberry, Clarksville. I have family in those areas but have not had the opportunity to hunt there yet.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 pm

As far as public grounds, the department of conservation has an on-line atlas that lets you sort by activities. Most of the public areas close to st. Louis get hit pretty hard. It's been tough the past couple of years, takes a lot of walking but there are birds out there, sorry I won't give out area names :lol:

IL has some "put and take" pheasant areas within an easy drive if you want that type of hunt, some areas to have quail also. I've been a couple of times and IMO it's crazy when shooting time starts, the majority of the shooters seem to only be there to fill their tags and leave. I prefer to wait until the crowd thins out and then go out and just work the dogs.

bstranger

Post by bstranger » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 pm

ha, thanks, I wouldn't probably tell you where I went either if I knew where a good amount of birds are. I think I might just go to Illinois, and go to Jim Edger, and pyramid in Illinois. I used to go there when I was a teenager so I feel comfortable.

With pheasants I probably wont mess around with them too much to begin with. It is my dogs first time hunting this year, and I have heard that pheasants are a tough hunt!

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Missouri quail have been on hard times for several years now... If it's the first year for ur pup, try to find a preserve that has some good fliers so ur dog can get some bird contacts on a more regular basis in "a real" hunting senorio.

Going to the MDC website is a good place to start for public land. But it doesn't take long for those areas to get shot out.

Good luck!

JGM411

Post by JGM411 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:35 am

I live 50 miles east of STL. There are a lot of places to hunt, but few quail. That has changed somewhat over the past few years though.

Check out the IDNR (IL Dept oi Natural Resources) website. They just closed the Free hunt lottery for Upland Birds, but there are good maps that show hunting areas.

Hazlet State Park, in Carlyle has released pheasant hunting. I never done that, but hunt birds north of the park on private land. Occasionally, while Quail hunting, we see/shoot a pheasant.

Joe