TO HUNT ALONE OR NOT

ridgerunner

TO HUNT ALONE OR NOT

Post by ridgerunner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:59 am

Just wandering what people thought on this subject?

madduckdog

Re: TO HUNT ALONE OR NOT

Post by madduckdog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:05 am

in our part of the country it may be the only choice

few bird hunters left.

fewer willing to go on a boon doggle "trip up north"

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:18 am

That's a tough question, and for someone who does both frequently, I'll weigh in.

Now that I have a dog, I'm much more willing to hunt along than before. That, and my wife doesn't worry as much about me if I'm solo.

But I also like to go hunting with others, especially waterfowling. Setting up a few dozen decoys while brushing blinds and getting it all done before shooting time is a tall order by yourself. Have I done it? Yes. But after two or three times, it gets tiring. Besides, sometimes it''s nice to have someone to talk to in between action. And an extra pair of eyes watching the horizon for birds is never a negative.

What IS a negative, at least to me, is the actual shooting. For some reason, I'm an absolutely horrid shot when hunting with others. I chalk it up to pressure. If I'm along, I'm not really thinking about someone firing before me, so I have time to run through proper shot placement. But when you're with four of five other people, it's almost a battle just to get the barrel up and shoot your three rounds before anyone else.

Then there's always the proverbial "I shot at that bird, too." When everyone limits out, that's usually not a big deal. But I've seen more than one scuffle over a banded bird that didn't end pretty. Egos get in the way of a lot of things, and when it comes to hunting I don't believe there is enough room in my party for much of it.

But while I do like the camaraderie and memories made while hunting with others, there is just something almost mystical about a successful solo hunt. When all the pieces of the puzzle come together and it's just you and your dog, there is NO better feeling in the world. To just sit back and watch a dazzling fall sunrise light up the landscape and have just the sound of your own head to muddle up things is the closest to paradise I've ever been.

So there is a time and place for both. I enjoy hunting with friends and family once and a while, but you can bet I'll be making several solo trips, too, just to get out for some one-on-one time with the pooch. And because I can... :wink:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:25 am

Depends upon how you mean the question.

Hunting alone is preferred by many for the solitary experience and practical freedom of choice afforded to man and dog.
There are tho areas where traipsing alone can be less than wise should injury occur.
Likely also depends upon hunter age and health.
As well, there are the newest GPS units that offer much more security and confidence than the old map and compass...and the SPOT units can indeed be lifesavers.

As far as hunting itself goes, whether it be a plains bird or one deep in the woods...a maximum of two hunters and one dog down is my preferred choice and very efficient in harvesting birds or memories both.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:43 am

Ridgerunner,
I hunt and train my Grouse dogs in the Pa state forest most times alone. As I have aged my wife now worries that I might be injured. I do go a might slower these days but because I grew up in the Pa forest, I am careful and now invite someone else along more than I use too. Hunting alone is one of the most enjoyable times a man and dog can have, there is nothing like the peace and quiet of the forest, especially on a light snow cover mountain.
RGD/Dave

Harold one of my Grouse hunting buddies

One of my favorite hunting buddies
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:28 pm

I greatly enjoy hunting alone, although I'm a very social person, there is just something about being alone out there with the dog, or dogs now that I have two...

I don't do it much, just a few times a year. Mostly because of the chance of injury, for myself and the dogs. I'm young, strong, and in excellent shape, but accidents happen. Especially with the dogs, I've dealt with many injured dogs over the years, hurt dogs are generally scared dogs. Scared dogs are harder to care for alone.

I'm not generally a worrier, but I do try to be cautious and responsible, as much as I enjoy my time in the wilds alone, I tend to only go a few times a season for safety, and to keep my wife from worrying to much.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

dualsetter

Post by dualsetter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:33 am

Love being in the grouse woods with just the dog, It is a liberating experience for sure. I have a great hunting buddy who comes into town to share a week of woodcock season every year, we always look forward to it. Wouldn't say I prefer hunting alone, it is more out of necessity.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 pm

i hunt alone some, seems to be when my dogs are at the top of their game. most of the time i take 1-2 ppl with me usually alternate between my 2 brothers, bro in law or dad, and i invite one of the landowners that gives me permission to hunt.

i really enjoy hunting alone but my favorite is to hunt with my dad we always carry his fathers old side by sides and have a great time, never a dull moment hunting with my bros either they cudnt be any different if they tried lots of laughs and ribs at each other as lifelong memories are being made, as the oldest it prides me to bring us all together a few times a year and chase down a few birds

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:53 pm

When i started hunting it was always with my uncle and dad. Dad now has problems with arthritis uncle moved to Texas. I enjoyed the quite time alone until my son started hunting. Now iam back to hunting myself , son moved off to school. All times are enjoyable, memories to be made both ways.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:09 pm

It seems like I do more hunting alone the last couple fo years. My hunting partner, my step-dad, hit 72 this year. He still goes out with me when he can. I don't really trust any of my "friends" shooting over my dogs. they have demonstrated that they don't have a clue.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:21 pm

Though I rarely have to hunt alone, it does not bother me at all. Sometimes its even enjoyable.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Max & I are the team. We hunt most every day of the season. Woodcock & grouse are what we hunt. Once in a while the folk's that got me into bird dogs will come for hunt visit. Which for me is very enjoyable . Were fortunate to live where we hunt.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 pm

I like to hunt with the dogs, alone or with a Trusted hunting partner. Hunting with a partner that you enjoy being with is best, but hunting just you and the dog(s) is something that I really like to do as well. But I let people know where I am going to hunt and take the cell phone.

If I am hunting alone it will be on quail or Prairie Chicken, where I can take pictures of the dog on point and then walk in and shoot the bird.
Steve

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:59 am

SetterNut wrote:I like to hunt with the dogs, alone or with a Trusted hunting partner. Hunting with a partner that you enjoy being with is best, but hunting just you and the dog(s) is something that I really like to do as well. But I let people know where I am going to hunt and take the cell phone.

If I am hunting alone it will be on quail or Prairie Chicken, where I can take pictures of the dog on point and then walk in and shoot the bird.

Are you trying to say pheasants dont want to be photographed with your dog?

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:50 am

I do both, and like each for different reasons. Hunting with a buddy is always fun, and the comradarie is great, but there is the issue of having witnesses for your bad shots. I enjoy solo hunting for the solitude. After spending the better part of two decades in EMS and several years doing SAR, I've seen what can go wrong, even with experienced outdoorsmen. When I hunt solo, I leave a trip plan, and don't deviate from it unless I have to, and when I do I make an obvious trail that is easy to follow.

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Sometimes you just have to hun alone.....that is if you want to hunt!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

gspguy

Post by gspguy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:05 pm

I love hunting alone. I can do it my way and I love the challenge of bagging a rooster with just me & the dog. The satisfaction is tremendous when it works the way you want it to. You have to tip your cap to the bird when it doesn't.
They're all broke 'til they break.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 am

gspguy wrote:I love hunting alone. I can do it my way and I love the challenge of bagging a rooster with just me & the dog. The satisfaction is tremendous when it works the way you want it to. You have to tip your cap to the bird when it doesn't.
Amen! Couldn't have said it better than that!

timhambidge

Post by timhambidge » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:35 am

i love to hunt by myself. Get into the north-woods of Wisconsin just me and the dog. Now have a 2nd dog debating whether to hunt them together or separate. part of dilemma is i can concentrate on one dog much more than i can when both are down. I enjoy just me and the dog. trying to figure out the topography, habitat, etc by myself. That all being said...I am getting older and try to hunt where people know where i am going. some of those north-woods, if you break and ankle you are on your own...not a lot of cell coverage in Northern Wisconsin.

MikeAZ

Post by MikeAZ » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:04 pm

I mostly hunt alone. I can hunt for awhile, sit under a tree and take a nap and basically do whatever I want.

Before I leave I leave a map to the area I am in. Even here in AZ, most of where I bird hunt is within cell phone coverage so people can reach me. If I am out of cell coverage I give a time that they need to hear from me before they worry etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like to hunt with others, but 90% of my hunts are solo.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Alone, especially pup's first season. Last thing you need is buddies firing off 12 guages repeatedly around a new hunting pup.

Once you get past that first season, be very choosy about who you hunt with. Some folks are not as careful with their shots as others. The dog's safety comes first for me, not getting a bird...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I used to worry about my 70 year old Dad going hunting on his own. I talked him into taking a cellphone. He always said that he couldn't imagine a better way to cross over, then having a heart attack in the woods.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Upland Point

Post by Upland Point » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am

Sue wrote:Alone, especially pup's first season. Last thing you need is buddies firing off 12 guages repeatedly around a new hunting pup.

Once you get past that first season, be very choosy about who you hunt with. Some folks are not as careful with their shots as others. The dog's safety comes first for me, not getting a bird...

Exactly!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:09 am

I prefer too hunt alone. I have 1-2 friends that will join me from time to time but for the most part it is more enjoyable for me to spend time with my dogs and move along at my own pace doing it my own way.

I have also found that when I hunt wild birds on my own it doesnt really make a difference to me if I come home with an empty bag or a limit. I bird hunt because I ejoy watching the dogs work, fried quail breasts with biscuits and gravy it a pleasant bonus.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:26 pm

jimssetters wrote:
SetterNut wrote:I like to hunt with the dogs, alone or with a Trusted hunting partner. Hunting with a partner that you enjoy being with is best, but hunting just you and the dog(s) is something that I really like to do as well. But I let people know where I am going to hunt and take the cell phone.

Are you trying to say pheasants dont want to be photographed with your dog?
No, its not that I don't take pics when hunting pheasants, it that we don't have many around here, and when we go west to hunt pheasants several of us drive out.

Steve

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:41 am

I like hunting with other so we can share the experience. However, sometime I like to hunt alone, just me and the dogs. My only concern about hunting alone is one of safety. When I was young, and thought I was immortal, I didn't hesitate to hunt alone. However, I was hunting deer alone once, got my foot tangled in a downed barbed wire fence that was covered with wet leaves. I lost my footing, and fell. I managed to dislocate my shoulder. Because I was by myself, I had to put the shoulder back in myself, and walk about a couple of miles back to my car. I had climbed a couple of fences getting into my spot, but couldn’t climb them to get out the same way because of the arm. I had find an easier route, but it meant going the long way around. I thought about how it would have turned out had I broken a leg or had a more severe injury out there alone. It would have been much tougher to get out of there. It was cold & rainy. Hypothermia probably would have set in pretty quickly if I had been unable to get up and get moving. I’m much more careful about hunting alone now.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Reason for your question is ? New pup? I myself hunt when when work allows so if it's alone so be it. I do enjoy hunting with others just so they know. I can hit a bird on the fly :D The season only last so long then what?

2dogs

Post by 2dogs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:31 pm

I end up chukar hunting alone most of the time, not by choice but one hunting buddy moved and the other one lost his dog and thinks he is to old to get another so its either hunt alone or don't hunt chukar and we know that's not an option! I do generally let someone know the general area I will be and that I will be back by dark.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:16 pm

2dogs wrote:I end up chukar hunting alone most of the time, not by choice but one hunting buddy moved and the other one lost his dog and thinks he is to old to get another so its either hunt alone or don't hunt chukar and we know that's not an option! I do generally let someone know the general area I will be and that I will be back by dark.
I have friends, sons, and neighbors without dogs so it is seldom I go by myself since I can get youngsters and oldsters involved in hunting by asking them to go along.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:44 pm

I have friends, sons, and neighbors without dogs so it is seldom I go by myself since I can get youngsters and oldsters involved in hunting by asking them to go along.

Ezzy
this stuff and the work you guys do on the training days is very cool...

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:23 pm

I hunt alone 95% of the time and always have. I'm an old duffer but never worry about getting hurt. I like having other people in camp, but prefer to hunt alone. That way, no one is witness to the disgustingly easy shots I miss.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:27 am

Hunting alone is preferred by many for the solitary experience and practical freedom of choice afforded to man and dog.
Well said.
I prefer it for the above reasons. We are now in the habit of going two separate courses with hunting buds. You take that ridge & I'll take this one sort of thing. It's hunting alone with the benefits of carpooling