Question for those that keep logs

displaced_texan

Question for those that keep logs

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:53 pm

What all do you log?

I'd decided recently I would keep one on these two pups. Initially I was just thinking points, backs, and retrieves... Just curious what all you guys recorded, or if there was other stuff you wished you had started recording earlier.

I don't want to record a bunch of stuff to just write it down and have to skim over to find what I actually care about, but at the same time I don't want to sit back in March and wish I had other stuff written down.

I am going to be getting an Astro before the season FWIW.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

ridgerunner

Re: Question for those that keep logs

Post by ridgerunner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:15 am

I generally write down the weather, who I am with, the dog, where I'm at, how many birds, productive points, and birds in the bag...and anything else that is special to the day.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:13 pm

After awhile, i highly doubt you are going to write down your points, backs, or retrieves. To me, it's usless information. It's not gonna help you kill any more birds.

When I grouse hunt, I do keep track of flush rates, birds killed and their crop contents, M/F grouse, and what dog(s) I had on the ground. Also date, weather, precip, and cover type. I'm always looking for that extra edge in the grouse woods.

If I can find my log sheet I developed on my computer, would you like me to send it to you?

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Firemedic wrote:After awhile, i highly doubt you are going to write down your points, backs, or retrieves. To me, it's usless information. It's not gonna help you kill any more birds.

When I grouse hunt, I do keep track of flush rates, birds killed and their crop contents, M/F grouse, and what dog(s) I had on the ground. Also date, weather, precip, and cover type. I'm always looking for that extra edge in the grouse woods.

If I can find my log sheet I developed on my computer, would you like me to send it to you?
This is why I asked:D (What yall record, not specifically the offer, but PM coming :D )
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...