Time of Year - Montana

M1Tanker

Time of Year - Montana

Post by M1Tanker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:20 am

Looking to take my dad and another good friend and his dad to Montana this year before they get too old to travel hunt anymore.

We have targeted the NE area of the State and have a couple of options for hunting time. Those times being either the 3rd week of October or the 1st week of November.

Looking for some thoughts from those who have hunted there on what time period would be better.

Not looking for secrets, etc...just a little help. Any info on places to stay around the Medicine Lake Refuge would be of great assistance also.

Contact by PM is fine if folks don't want to broadcast info.

Thanks...Dennis

troutbum13

Re: Time of Year - Montana

Post by troutbum13 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 am

Mu guess is it is going to be a rough year this year, but I sent you a PM with some details. if you have a choice I would go later, crops went in late. I will be interested to see what the forecasts look like for the area.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Good info.

Last time I went to SD, the crops were still up and the hunting in the CRP was not so good.

Thanks>

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:24 am

The land in the NE part of the state is good Hun and Sharptail land. I have been going there for a number of years and will be going again this Sept, and probably again in Oct. I have a friend that goes in the spring every year to scout the leks, and when I talked to him last week, he was saying he was seeing good numbers.

What kind of birds are you after, and where abouts in the area are you looking at?
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

djloder

Post by djloder » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:26 am

ohmymy111 wrote:The land in the NE part of the state is good Hun and Sharptail land. I have been going there for a number of years and will be going again this Sept, and probably again in Oct. I have a friend that goes in the spring every year to scout the leks, and when I talked to him last week, he was saying he was seeing good numbers.

What kind of birds are you after, and where abouts in the area are you looking at?
I did'nt get my invite???
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:58 am

Yes you did!!!
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
Meg de Sugar Creek

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Tanker,

What are you planning to hunt? Pheasant & Hun hunting will be good at that time of year, but you're getting too late for sharptails. The sharpies will most likely have bunched up by then and be hard to approach. They get pretty spooky, and will flush before the dogs get close enough to point. You may not get much dog work on them.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:44 pm

I have hunted the last couple of years in that timeframe. Had no problem getting Sharpies and Huns. I will be going the 7th through the 22nd for my 1st trip. The second will be mid to late Oct, like it has been the last 2 years.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
Meg de Sugar Creek

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:56 am

ohmymy111 wrote:The land in the NE part of the state is good Hun and Sharptail land. I have been going there for a number of years and will be going again this Sept, and probably again in Oct. I have a friend that goes in the spring every year to scout the leks, and when I talked to him last week, he was saying he was seeing good numbers.

I plan to stick around Medicine Lake area as a "general" vicinity...let's say anywhere within a 20-30 mile drive of there.

Planning on the "trifecta" of Huns, Sharpies, and Pheasants...but will take whatever we can get.

Looking for a change in scenery and a trip with the old fellas before they can't go anymore.