Quail Hunting Middle Tennessee

cfrailey

Quail Hunting Middle Tennessee

Post by cfrailey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:07 am

I'm sure this is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know if there is any decent quail hunting on Percy Priest or any WMA's in Middle Tennessee? I have a well started GSP, and would like to get away from having to hunt preserves all season. Any advice would be well appreciated.

Vonrommel

Re: Quail Hunting Middle Tennessee

Post by Vonrommel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:20 pm

You could possibly find a few carry over birds left from being put out for field trials at the Percy Priest field trial grounds, but I don't know the specifics about hunting on those grounds. I believe they are different for the field trial grounds than the rest of the WMA.

Your best shot to find quail in that area is at Fort Campbell millitary base, you are only a little ways away from there. The quail numbers aren't what they used to be, but you can still find a few covies if you are willing to put down the boot leather. You can also quail hunt off horseback at the base, if you have that option. Once you get used to the area rules and phone system for reserving a spot, it's pretty easy to get in there and get on some birds.

tn red

Re: Quail Hunting Middle Tennessee

Post by tn red » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Bark Creek Barrens has a few covies also.