Sunday morning hunt

r nickell

Sunday morning hunt

Post by r nickell » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Got a weekend of spring weather in the middle of winter so decided to take advantage of it. Regular season is closed so went to one of the local brid farms for a morning of watching the dogs run. Took the boy and a freind of his. Instead of a gun I took the camera.
W.W.T.G.D.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Sunday morning hunt

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Nice pics and it's always fun to get the kids out.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Nickell, Nice pictures and a couple of fine looking dogs! I also did a preserve hunt yesterday down at Quail Creek in Prescott KS. I have two Brittany's with the youngest being 9 months old, and the preserve hunt can be a great training tool due to the ability to stage the hunt (type of cover) Gary at Quail creek does a great job of working with a person to stage what ever hunt you're looking to do. Yesterday I did a Quail hunt in hedge row cover which is what I was raised up hunting quail on in SE Ks and the Quail acted very much like wild Quail, they did not just sit, they ran in the hedge rows forcing the dogs to pin them which was as real of a hunt as any I've ever had at a preserve. I ended up shooting 7 Quail and just loved seeing the dogs work and watching the lights continue to come on for my youngest dog in his first season. I know a lot of people make fun of the preserve hunt but before and after the upland season ends I find the ability to get that extra 3-4 months of bird work a great asset for the dogs and it's an oppurtunity to get young people into guranteed birds not to mention it also makes a 6-7 month upland bird season for me and the dogs.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:01 am

Looks like good fun! I'm jealous, we still have a couple feet of snow on the ground. Thanks for sharing.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks for sharing, nickell. Which preserve did you go to? We like Harding Game Preserve up north, but have also gone to one south of Lexington that was really nice.

Cheryl

r nickell

Post by r nickell » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:39 am

I go down to K & L Kennel in Higginsville. Good people and good birds makes for a fun time always.
W.W.T.G.D.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:17 am

I asked my hubby. The one we've been too is Brush Creek just off of F and O Highways. They had good flying birds, especially the chukars.

Cheryl

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm

R Nickel,
Looks like you gentlemen had a great time! Real nice looking dogs.
RGD/Dave