Llewellin Setter for Ruffed Grouse Hunting?

JHumes

Llewellin Setter for Ruffed Grouse Hunting?

Post by JHumes » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:43 pm

I've been pretty interested in buying a Llewellin setter, and since a had just sold one of the dogs.I have been doing research and have found a handfull of Llewellin setter kennels not too far.Wondering if anyone has had expierence with these dogs and if they are any good grouse hunting companions.
James -cell: 484-636-9938
-home:610-279-5110

big steve46

Re: Llewellin Setter for Ruffed Grouse Hunting?

Post by big steve46 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:07 pm

I don't hunt grouse due to their absence in S. Illinois, but my young Llewellin is making a heck of a quail dog! Jim Yeryar in western Indiana is the breeder. Great dogs and reasonably priced.
big steve

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Were is Ryman Gun Dog when you need him ? lol

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:10 am

Gentlemen,
I saw the question and will respond. If you are looking for a good Llew I would look at the cover dog stock, maybe one of Dave Hughs pups for hunting Grouse.
Paul Fuller just did a nice video of Dave using his dogs in the Grouse woods, on an actual hunt. Dave has some very nice stock. For Grouse dog hunting stock you can also
look at the Ryman stock, at Fireside Kennels in VT, Lynne Dee has some serious proven Grouse dogs. Something else you might want to consider is a good Black & Tan Gordon Grouse dog, I especially like the Gordon Grouse dogs from Sure Thing Kennels in MT, Dan and Karen have proven Grouse Dog stock clear back to Peat their incredible male. Most times all of these people have waiting lists for their pups.
RGD/Dave

Pleasant Ridge

Post by Pleasant Ridge » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 pm

I would second the motion for Dave Hughes, Lloyd Murray (longgone setters) or Grouse ridge setters.. While these are coverdog English setters these folks are breeding dogs for the grouse woods
If you are looking specifically for a Llewillin, there are multiple places on the internet to look.. Bob Bailey of Straight creek Llewellins has bred grouse dogs for years.. Also willams chapman kennels in Illinois would be worth a look. I think if you look on BDARN.com you will find some links..
Beware of sticker shock though when looking at Llew puppies, most don't come cheap...

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Funny you should ask that question. I am sitting here typing this reply with a 12 week Llewellin playing at my feet (when he's not sleeping there). She is out of Bob's Straight Creek stock (our second from there). I have had Llewellins about 10 years now. Prior to that I had a Gordon Setter from Arkansas breeding that would find the grouse with the best. Slow working, not flashy, but man could she hunt. Prior to that I hunted and bred Brittanies. Hard to find a bad grouse dog there (Perry's Rustic Prince line). If you are looking for a Lew pup you'll pay $500-850 normally. Straight Creek is expecting a litter in March, 2011 by the way. Started dogs, if you can find one, usually go for $1500. to start.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Any of the setter types will work fine given genetics and opportunity.

I'd pick the field /coverdog lines but...each to their own.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Pleasant Ridge wrote:IBeware of sticker shock though when looking at Llew puppies, most don't come cheap...

I disagree. I paid $400 for my pup 18 mos ago. Llew pups in the midwest will run $350-700. They will usually all have good hunting pedigrees. I don't know where you have been shopping, but you are a bit off. There might be a breeder or two that want more, but most of us aren't gullible enough to pay it.
big steve

JHumes

Post by JHumes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:58 am

Big Steve, I have relatives from Olney, Ilinios, Dale Williams, and he used to train and hunt dogs.Kinda off topic but it would be cool if you knew him.
James -cell: 484-636-9938
-home:610-279-5110

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:55 pm

JHumes wrote:Big Steve, I have relatives from Olney, Ilinios, Dale Williams, and he used to train and hunt dogs.Kinda off topic but it would be cool if you knew him.
I knew a Williams in Noble, Illinois, which is next to Olney, but I can't remember his first name. This was about twenty years ago or more, and he gave me a young E. Setter that had a conflict with another of his dogs. That young dog was gonna make a heck of a dog, but he accidentally ran in front of my wife's car who was not going 10 mph. That young dog was a Purina dog from Missouri.

If the older guy I knew was not the same one, he was probably related.
big steve

gripper39

Post by gripper39 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 pm

My Llewellin made me look like I knew what I was doing with the training. I have never owned a gundog before so I trained my yr old Llew the basics and he did the rest. I love my Llew and I am hooked on hunting with a dog. My Llew is also a great companion, in my opinion a Llew can hunt anything.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 am

Gripper39,
Glad you really like your Llew Setter, and a dog with good breading can sure make a trainer look like a milion bucks, that is for sure.
The LynnHill Kennel mentioned in the prior post may not be active any more, not quite sure of what has happened with them at this time.
Dave and the others still do have Llew Setters, that you can pick from however. Take time to review Paul Fullers video of Dave Hughes and his dogs in the Grouse
woods, its worth watching if you are thinking about purchasing a Llew Setter, especially for a man who lives in SE, Pa. You can see Paul Fullers videos at http://WWW.Birddogsafield.com/episodes.html The video with Dave Hughes and his cover dog Llew Setters, is about 10th in the series, all the shows are good stuff.

RGD/Dave

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Ryman in now DeCoverly Kennels in eastern Pa.
Alan

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Alan,
Ryman as in Fireside Kennels in VT and Pine Creek Kennels in North Central Pa. Ken Alexander of DeCoverly has retired and sold out, DeCoverly is not the same Ryman
Gun Dog kennel any more. There are still a few good Ryman dogs in the DeCoverly Kennel, but be real choosy as to what you take home. It slipped a long way after Bill
Reid left, and then Ken sold out completely. No permanent Grouse Dog trainer left at DeCoverly proving out the dogs, and different people now picking breed stock. Just so you understand I have never sold a Ryman Setter in my life, and never take clients from the internet forums, so I have no secret agenda.
RGD/Dave
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

highlander

Post by highlander » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:39 pm

There are some really great pups still available out of a litter whelped 2/12 in Eastern Virginia. Both parents came from Lynnhill lines. EastCoastLlewellinSetters.com

Thats where my new pup is coming from. i pick him up in April. GREAT lines and good people to deal with. Very small family operation.

Are Llewellins good grouse dogs?? Does a bear crap in the woods?..:)

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:24 am

Highlander,
Can you tell us more about ECLS, I am looking for another Llew kennel to recommend to my clients and I see LynnHill is their foundation stock.
Some very good news for Llew lovers today, Keith & Tessa at LynnHIll have not sold out and are going to continue their business. They have litters on the way
for those of you who love LynnHill dogs. I just talked to Keith to make sure they were still going to breed Llew dogs, they will stay at the same location and continue their
40 year business.
RGD/Dave

highlander

Post by highlander » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Highlander,
Can you tell us more about ECLS, I am looking for another Llew kennel to recommend to my clients and I see LynnHill is their foundation stock.
Some very good news for Llew lovers today, Keith & Tessa at LynnHIll have not sold out and are going to continue their business. They have litters on the way
for those of you who love LynnHill dogs. I just talked to Keith to make sure they were still going to breed Llew dogs, they will stay at the same location and continue their
40 year business.
RGD/Dave
Well I found Ty and Pam through weeks of random research, phone calls etc. and actually talked to Keith about East Coast. He said they were great folks with three wonderful Lynnhill dogs as their kennel foundation. They have been great to deal with and are communicating a lot with me through the process. The lines of the dog I am getting are pretty impressive. The timing and proximity of this litter were perfect for me. Ty and Pam are a really small operation, seem very honest and professional, and love their Llews.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:43 am

Highlander,
Fantastic stuff I really like small quality breeders, myself. Just the other day I talked to Keith at LynnHill and they are back in business at their original location.
IMO this is great news for the Setter world and especially for Grouse hunters here in Pa who have used their Llew dogs for generations. We had been sending clients to him at LynnHill for Llew Grouse dogs for many years, and have never had a complaint about his gun dog line. I am sure glad he decided to keep his property and kennel operation, he has some very high quality Llew Grouse dog stock. We will contact Ty & Pam to see if they would like to be put on our recommended breeders list for Llew gun dogs. Thanks for the recommendation, with LynnHill for foundation stock, they should have real good Grouse dogs.
RGD/Dave

ruffed G

Post by ruffed G » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:46 pm

I am currently training my third Llewellin for grouse. Have been very pleased so far. My first two dogs were from Lynnhill. The pup is from Laurel Mt. Llewellin setters in Ligonier, PA. Scott and Michell have many Lynnhill dogs in there breeding program.

Gary

outdoorman

Post by outdoorman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:34 pm

I have had five Llewellin setters in my many years of hunting and now in the process of training a new Llewellin setter puppy, in my opinion they make great grouse and woodcock dog's. I train my own dog's to work inside fifty yards.

dualsetter

Post by dualsetter » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:37 pm

I've hunted over several of Paul King's Lllew's out of Uplander's Choice and found them to be quite a pleasure in the field and back at camp as well. Other choice's to consider would be Grouse Ridge up here in central NY or Long Gone in Northern, NH. Let us know what you settle on if you pull the trigger, would love to hear what you went with.

outdoorman

Post by outdoorman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:34 pm

I have had five Llewellin setters, they make a great Ruff Grouse dog, it seems to come natural for Llewellins.

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:33 pm

I have one out of Bob Bailey's Straight Kennel and I will probably get another from him. They have no style, but mine goes at a good pace and can go as long as I can...I have to hunt him close to water...hard time with hot weather.