OK Pheasant day 2!!!!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

OK Pheasant day 2!!!!

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Well day two of our 2010 season brings another great hunt, my Dad, my cousin and I (around here hunting is a family affair) got out for just a little while because that was all it took! We hunted one 33 acre field and got 8 pheasants, we could have hunted longer and got the ninth bird to complete our limit but I mean really whats the point? 8 birds in less than an hour was good enough for us. Plus it gave me enough time to get in my tree stand and not see anything for the third night in a row! Ha

Dog work was much better today with 6 of the birds shot over point.

I also remembered to get some pictures today.

Dad has several old dogs, one I have posted before, this female has been a bang up pheasant dog for the last 12 years, she only hunts for short periods now but she still managed to point and retrieve two cocks and several hens today. She (Gypsy) is also the mother to my Grace dog.

Mother (Gypsy front) and daughter (Grace)

A bag full of birds...

It was warm today and Grace is ready to cool down.

Myself and dad's limit.

Hard to see in the photo, but we caught up with some old birds today, three had spurs of a half inch or so.

tn red

Re: OK Pheasant day 2!!!!

Post by tn red » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Ok now your just rubbing it in :P sounds like a great season so far 8)

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Darn Coop you are making me feel bad now. I have been working the last couple of days and sort of waiting for the visitors to leave out here so I can get some real hunting and dog work done. Have you made it out here to the panhandle yet?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:41 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Darn Coop you are making me feel bad now. I have been working the last couple of days and sort of waiting for the visitors to leave out here so I can get some real hunting and dog work done. Have you made it out here to the panhandle yet?

Nah Tom all these birds were taken in north central OK.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:19 am

Nice bag coop, good to see the old dog out working (the GSP not your dad) :lol:
Grace is looking very well pal, nice smart bitch.

ATB
Dave.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:32 am

ACooper wrote:Plus it gave me enough time to get in my tree stand and not see anything for the third night in a row! Ha
Maybe its all that shootin youre doing!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:17 pm

Coop, Is that your dad holding the dog? I really like that picture

sigav8r

Post by sigav8r » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Great looking dogs!

mbyer

Post by mbyer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:32 am

That's a nice looking bag there. Some friends of mine went and did pretty well also. Four hunters and four limits. Nice to see the bird numbers up this year. Good to see your dad is still getting out, he looks good, tell him I said hi.

Mike B.

EPointer=Birdss

Post by EPointer=Birdss » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Some very nice photos there. Thanks for sharing

Out of curiousty when you 6 of the 8 birds were shot over point - how were the other 2 shot?

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:37 pm

probably wild flushes

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:26 am

Chukar12 wrote:Coop, Is that your dad holding the dog? I really like that picture
Yes that is my Dad (Bill) we normally hunt together and its rare if I go without him.
mbyer wrote:That's a nice looking bag there. Some friends of mine went and did pretty well also. Four hunters and four limits. Nice to see the bird numbers up this year. Good to see your dad is still getting out, he looks good, tell him I said hi.

Mike B.
Mike that is a bunch of birds! Hope you guys have a great season! I will tell him. I hope to get him more involved with our Navhda club, with work the way it is for me (always gone) I hope to get him started coming to training days... we will see.
EPointer=Birdss wrote:Some very nice photos there. Thanks for sharing

Out of curiousty when you 6 of the 8 birds were shot over point - how were the other 2 shot?
Gittrdon is right when we pushed the field to a stop we got a few wild flushes and managed to score on a couple more. Dog work has been hit or miss, it is dry here in north central Oklahoma and some days the dogs have been having a tougher time than others.

Got out again Friday again for a little while, Dad and I managed to score a few more birds and a couple more quail. My best friends wedding kept me in yesterday. Things today arent looking good so far!

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Andy, the birds are finally really holding well here. The bird work has been the best all year.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:56 pm

It is amazing how many birds are up there in your area, I am ready to come back.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:38 pm

Now that there is snow on the ground everywhere, you see them everywhere. I drove to Bismarck the other day and saw over 500 just in fields eating. Not in the same field of course, through out the trip. Would you be interested in a late season hunt when snow makes them hold better? The dog work has been ideal. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.