Ohio Public Land Pheasant Hunting

Pryor Creek Okie

Ohio Public Land Pheasant Hunting

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm thinking about driving up to Ohio tomorrow to check this out. It seems like a good way to get the pup on some birds. Does anyone else hunt these put and take birds on public land?
http://www.ammoland.com/2010/09/27/phea ... ing-areas/

smilinicon

Re: Ohio Public Land Pheasant Hunting

Post by smilinicon » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:21 pm

it really depends on when you go. It can be excellent during the week, but I won't go on a weekend as I am just not into the crowds. One thing that is nice here is it is all pre-registered now and you can show up any time you like. If they allow clean-up hunts afterwards, that is a great time to go (it is free). Dog will definately see action. Be prepared to see many wasted birds. Lot of idiots out there.

With the dry conditions here, Chickin-Kickin Put and Take clean up may be the only pheasants I see this year.

Best tip i know about it is, most of the people that show up are terribly out of shape and only last an hour or so.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:31 pm

smilinicon wrote:it really depends on when you go. It can be excellent during the week, but I won't go on a weekend as I am just not into the crowds. One thing that is nice here is it is all pre-registered now and you can show up any time you like. If they allow clean-up hunts afterwards, that is a great time to go (it is free). Dog will definately see action. Be prepared to see many wasted birds. Lot of idiots out there.
We might be talking about two different things here. It's my understanding that the state of Ohio is releasing these birds on public land that is open to hunting by anyone with a valid hunting license. I don't know anything about pre-registering, and it's free all the time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to drive two hours just to get a ticket.

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:36 pm

yes, my bad if I confused you. Everything I said still relates though. I've read some horror stories of put and take pheasant hunts like this.

I see it is free, so you better see about the permit before making the drive.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:12 pm

As far as I can tell, I just need a regular small game license. I'm hoping that there won't be a huge crowd tomorrow since it's Friday.