Mission Accomplished

M1Tanker

Mission Accomplished

Post by M1Tanker » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Panzer is barely a year and a half old and I have passed on many, many, many birds this year that weren't the perfect lesson for the youngster. Most of them have been runners that he has pointed several times and eventually bumped or flushed ahead of him.

This morning, he locked up solid and stayed there, I went around the clump of spruce trees and the bird rocketed out towards me, veered to the right, then swung left. I turned and touched off the first trigger. The first shot rocked the bird but he kept going so I touched off the second trigger and missed. A few seconds later, the bird towered and died in the air. 100 yards and a lot of sweat later, we had a bird in hand:

It was worth the wait and he is going to be one of the special ones. Way to go Mr. Panzer, I bet your daddy was smiling down looking at you graduate into the world of "grouse dogs" today.

bhairhoger

Re: Mission Accomplished

Post by bhairhoger » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:51 am

Well done and nice picture!
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:11 am

Congrats! I'm sure his daddy would be proud.

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:28 am

Good job to both of you and that is one fine looking pup you got there.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am

Congrats Panzer and M1, That is a great lesson for those that are impatient. Sounds like he had many good learning days afield, thanks to you.
Handsome boy.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks.

I agree...it is very, very hard to pass up shots. Much more so for someone who only has one dog and wants to enjoy the hunt (I have 3 so I can space out the ages for training purposes).

However, I will tell you from experience, the reinforcement of proper handling on a wild grouse goes so much further than any planted bird can do for you. It has been said that it takes birds to make a bird dog, but it also takes wild birds to make a wild bird dog. And that bird over Panzer turned out to be the "million dollar" bird as he finished the run with 3 more points, all staunch as good be and the one I shot for him was a runner that he worked into the last bit of cover before locking up on point.

They gotta learn how to handle em on their own and they won't learn how to do it if you reinforce sloppy work with a shot bird. I cannot emphasize this enough with puppy owners and people who ask how do you get them to do that...it ain't me, it is me shutting up and letting the birds teach em.

JMc

Post by JMc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Panzer...you gotta love that name for a GSP...