Roams good in the woods, stays tight in fields?

hoof

Roams good in the woods, stays tight in fields?

Post by hoof » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:42 am

I have a 6 month old DD that I am taking out as much as I can to get him some experience in the field. No pressure, no shooting, just getting him out and running. I have noticed he seems to roam and work pretty well in the woods, but when we hit a field he tends to want to just hang around with me? Any insight?
Thanks,
CHAZ

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Roams good in the woods, stays tight in fields?

Post by BigShooter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:42 am

Have you worked on obedience a fair amount? This is one reason many folks on this site recommend lots of walks in fields and woods, letting a pup be a pup, encouraging exploration. With pressure dogs tend to shorten up. In the woods it's out of sight, out of their mind. In an open area they can see you and they may sense your control more. Lots of bird contact can drive thoughts of you out of their minds.

Have you introduced or worked the dog on birds much? After a dog figures out it can find birds by nosing around, their range will often change.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Beecher

Re: Roams good in the woods, stays tight in fields?

Post by Beecher » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Did u get that dog from Grouse lines? If so that is normal instinct, many a Grouse woods dog act different at first when taken to the open fields, they are looking for the cover, just keep consisent, find birds and keep at it then the dog will learn!