BURRS

tbocook

BURRS

Post by tbocook » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Does anyone have any secrets for hunting setters where the burrs fill their coats. This has been a problem for me every year in South Dakota, where the dogs will bleed in their legpits sometimes before i can see whats going on. I also have a problem when hunting in snow when it freezes in the hair on the pads of the feet.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: BURRS

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Clip the areas with the long hair that cause a problem and you can use a coat grooming agent that makes the coat slippery to the point of being able to comb or pull many of them out. But nothing works like clipping. Full body a few weeks before hunting and a few days before in the critical areas like armpits and feathering.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:50 pm

I'd skip the clipping, unless you want to do the toes for icing issues, and just use a silicon based detangler BEFORE you take them out. After all, what is a setter without it's flag and feathers? The two that I've used most, and with great success are Cowboy Magic and Show Sheen. Both are made for horses, but work wonders on dogs. IMO, the show sheen is much cheaper to use, and can even be cut 50/50 with water to make it go further. Spray on liberally, maybe even work it in the coat with your fingers a bit, and go hunting.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:47 am

Another plus for Cowboy Magic...and clipping.
No cure...does help.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:02 am

in the horse section some stuff called Show Sheen spray in those areas before hunting
or regular Pam cooking spray...don't get the butter flavor dogs like that to much lol
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.