Greater Prairie Chicken

gspmo1

Greater Prairie Chicken

Post by gspmo1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:56 am

I have seen a few posts on the lesser PC in southwest Kansas but not much on the Greater. I am looking to purchase an out of state license this year from Kansas and was wondering if someone could help with the Greater Prairie Chicken in the eastern part of KS.

I'm not looking for someone to give me their secret spots or anything, I am just trying to get some idea if it is worth the drive out there for the early season hunt. i believe it opens around the middle of September. I plan on making other trips out later in the year for some phez and quail.

Any info or tips on hunting the Greater Prairie Chicken in the early season would be great! If you dont want to post them feel free to shot me a PM.

Thanks

hpvizslas

Re: Greater Prairie Chicken

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:08 am

I don't know about Kansas but we have quite a few in the sandhills of Nebraska. They are great birds to train the dogs on during the early season. The young ones will hold really well for a dog. Once the Chickens group up, it is hard to get close to them. They usually have a couple of lookouts that will get up and then the group will take off and fly for 1/2 mile before setting down. It is better to pass shoot later in the season. The one thing that you have to watch for is the heat in early season.

Jeff

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Chickens in Kansas are harder to find than quail anymore. Their used to be TONS of them but they have lost nesting grounds and have declined sharply in numbers over the past 20 years. I wouldnt recommend making the trip, but thats just me!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:47 am

I have been chasing them in the early season since moving here over two years ago and still haven't sealed the deal!

Rut

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:20 pm

I have hunted the sand hillls of Nebraska for 5 years. I have lived in KS as well. There are 100 times as many chickens in the Sandhills. Go there. I shoot my limit in 1 hr normally.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

tailcracken

Post by tailcracken » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:09 pm

gspmo1 wrote:I have seen a few posts on the lesser PC in southwest Kansas but not much on the Greater. I am looking to purchase an out of state license this year from Kansas and was wondering if someone could help with the Greater Prairie Chicken in the eastern part of KS.

I'm not looking for someone to give me their secret spots or anything, I am just trying to get some idea if it is worth the drive out there for the early season hunt. i believe it opens around the middle of September. I plan on making other trips out later in the year for some phez and quail.

Any info or tips on hunting the Greater Prairie Chicken in the early season would be great! If you dont want to post them feel free to shot me a PM.

Thanks
where you from gsp i live in olathe im also on ultimate pheasant hunting you ever go there? i am only a pointer on there.