Early Christmas gift.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Early Christmas gift.

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Today, Dec. 22 Buster and I were to leave work at 11: to get to Rangely for 1:00pm. Well calls happened, people needed stuff, yadayadayada. 1:30Pm I said lets go so we did. Kind of Speeding, just a little. We would have enough time for about an hour hunt. We got up on the mountain, it started snowing. If we get the 10 " on top of the eight there is the dogs won't be able to go any more. It is deep and soft.

We worked for an hour no birds snowing harder getting close to end of legal shooting time. We work our way back to the truck on the west side of a tote road down in the jack firs and twitch trails. I here busters bell, moving away, then stops, I start making my way to him, the bell starts, stops, starts stops, start stops not getting further away.(kind of already knew he had a bird in the tree.) He had been circling the tree, I get there he is stopped on point looking up in the tree, I look up, 30 feet or so. I get closer to get in a shooting lane the bird takes off. I shoot he drops and gets hung up in a jack fir then falls out as it twitches and flutters its last. Buster brings it to me. Bird in the bag. We move three others two of which I shot at but missed. All the birds took off out of trees that they were budding in. This may be the last hunt up there if the snow continues as hard as it was going. Image
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

djloder

Re: Early Christmas gift.

Post by djloder » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 am

Hopefully it's not your last hunt and you can get out again. Looks like you had a good one if it is your last one, it is nice to end successful.
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:28 am

good dog and a RRL.. makes for a great day! Wood looks better than normal, is it a Quail Country?

enjoyed the read.

Cary

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Cary:
Got some knicks and scratches, the gold leaf is gone the blueing is off the left side of the barrel chamber and trigger guard. It is a very nice piece of wood. I love this gun. It is a Ruff flying on the receiver or what ever you call it.

At home we did not end up with any extra snow so there is still hunting here until the 31st.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick