East Coast Turkey Hunting

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

East Coast Turkey Hunting

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:53 am

There has been a big resurgance of the bird in NJ and the surrounding area. Anyone with tips on where to go?

sal

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: East Coast Turkey Hunting

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:16 pm

I am not from the area but one of my best friends from here in Oklahoma and his family live in Jersey. He says for deer and turkey go to Princeton. He lives somewhere in the area and was telling me a few months ago that his backyard is literally a public hunting area. I guess I should say if you walk through his backyard and into the woods you would be in a public hunting area. He also told me last year that they were slaying turkey there and that a friend of his killed numerous deer there and gave much of the meat away to homeless shelters after stocking his own freezer and his neighbors and friends freezers do to the overpopulation of deer in Jersey. Good Luck and hope this helps.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:14 am

i am pretty close to Princeton, that area of NJ is flat and grassy...turkey is popping up everywhere. i am in colts neck which is less populated than princeton and there are stationary groups of turkey in town...most of the town in no discharge though...deer is plentiful here as you said

last night went to friends for dinner and the guy asked me to look at something...he found a red fox head on his driveway...the only thing I can think of is we have coyotes..head was chewed off the neck..

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:45 pm

Sounds like yotes. Can't really think of anything else except maybe a black bear.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:52 pm

nj has a coyote population that is growing rapidly because there is tons of food. most people associate NJ with just urban sprawl but the southern, northern and outer counties are chock full of easy prey for coyotes, groundhogs especially...coyotes are adapted for this environment very well and have no competition

we had a bunch of coyote attacks on kids here a few years ago

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:55 pm

Makes me glad that we had a mange epidemic that darn near wiped ours out, not quite but almost. They are not near as plentiful as they were 6 or 7 years ago.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:03 pm

you are lucky..i hate them, and they are not like the skinny little ones out west..they either breed with strays or the fact they they are top of the food chain here is the difference..prey is very thick here and on top of that goose eggs in the spring are literally all over the place..my town does not even pick up deer road kills anymore and they are plenty...

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18 am

This just happened last week. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhh68bITXM8

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:23 pm

those buggers have a spur on the leg that can do some damage