breakfast of Doves

Shadow

breakfast of Doves

Post by Shadow » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:14 am

decided it was a good time to go get some breakfast- took 10 Expert Steel 7's- left the pups to watch- they were fired up

marshboy

Re: breakfast of Doves

Post by marshboy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Shadow,
Did you see many doves out and about?
Do you live in the north or south?
marshboy

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:40 pm

SW Kansas- farm site

never really go out looking for doves- set the lawn chair next to a tree- connected the Britt's to the tree- sat drinking coffee-

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:52 am

One of the only benefits of living in this desolate area> :lol:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:44 am

ahhh Tommy- another benifit is the wide open country- dogs can really stretch out- and it's flat

I'm going to miss going after whitetails with the bow- just doesn't seem like the right country- have a couple freinds who set by feeders- I got one last year with them- but it's not my style

how you cook those doves- I fillet and pan fry them- not the greatest but

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:58 am

good post. best dove is in the form of an "armadillo egg" wrapped in bacon and jalapenos. but ive also done em like you mention.
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm with westtexas on this one. I like to split a jalapeno and fill it with a mixture of cream cheese and cheddar cheese then stick one side of a breast fillet on top of that and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon, stick a toothpick through it to hold it all together and throw it on the grill.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:17 pm

but guys- I have a bad allergy to pork-

got myself a problem- the son who farms this doesn't believe in spraying for weeds- so I drop a dove and let the Britt's loose- sure they bring it back- 20+ min of picking out those- what are they called- boresheads- and this nice 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile weed field behind the house- crap- millions of them- and there's pheasant and quail in there- need to figure out a place to let the pups run- I won't let them out of the yard right now- to risky

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Hey Shadow....

It's been a few years since we dove hunted every September in northern Missouri.....but we always wrapped the breast in bacon and pan fried them......really turned out pretty good, though more like an hors d'oerve than a meal!

Streenie

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Streenie-we used to really go after doves- long ago- now I just do a bit of it at the beginning of the season- you know- 1st time getting the gun out and seeing about some shooting

actually- found out long ago I was allergic to pork- could take a very small piece- 3 days later I was a reck- sister who is a doctor didn't believe at a family gathering- so me being me- what do want to bet- moms doctor was called

think I might try the receip above but with fake pork- sounds like it would be good that way for ducks also

yesterday early I sat in the lawn chair with the Britt's- hen pheasant and 7 chicks walked by- talk about the Britt's being interested- they looked at me like- Hey what's going on

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Geez Shadow....Allergic to pork eh? I'd really have a hard time with that as I like pork even better than beef. As for using bacon with dove.....could you use turkey bacon?? I don't know how it would affect the overall taste (I wouldn't think much) but it might solve your pork allergy....????

Our dove hunting trips to northern Missouri were pretty fun. We camped at Lake Paho, just outside Princeton.....A fair number of dove hunters (in particular, game wardens from no dove season states like Iowa) are usually there with their labs in tow. As you would guess, we took a fair amount of ribbing for using a Brit on dove but as you know, the proof's in the pudding..... didn't see our gal give up anything to the big retrievers. She settled into the dove agenda easily and retrieved just like the big boys.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:57 am

you're right- turkey bacon isn't too bad- I'm going to pick some up today, sounds like wrapping these breasts in one would be darn good-

my 8 week old pup made it ok to Michigan- fella sort of got mixed up in his driving- but when they were handed the pup he said that little tail was going crazy-
he's pleased and said he wasn't going to start any sort of training for 8 weeks-

I said good thinking- pup has carried a bird, pointed and held for a bit, backed the others for a bit- pretty much has what it takes- up to you to guide the pup along- course I sent this picture 11X8 along with all the papers and his food- told him the other two aren't much into pointing wings

what can one say- has all the makings for a great dog

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:13 am

interest thing while sitting in the chair waiting for a few doves

family of pheasants landed 30 yards away- sat there and one by one they flew up and into this bushy tree- about 4 min and one by one they flew to the milo field across the road

oh- those fillet of doves are darn good wrapped in turkey bacon with a tooth pick to hold together- just put them in a basting pan and in the oven for 10 min at 275 degrees