grouse?

Sprig

grouse?

Post by Sprig » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:38 pm

I dont see any posts on here about grouse hunting. Out here in Utah we have tons of national forest and grouse are all over the place. Has anybody hunted grouse on here........i for one chase blue grouse like ohters chase pheasants, since we have very few roosters in our state.

Sprig

Re: grouse?

Post by Sprig » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:15 am

i go to the top of the mtn, usually at 10,000 feet or close to it anyway. grouse are found all over the state but i only have hunted them in the northern region. the terrain can be rough at times fro blues but the scenery is awesome.

chukarguy

Post by chukarguy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:30 am

Sprig wrote:.i for one chase blue grouse like ohters chase pheasants, since we have very few roosters in our state.
So is that the only upland game you chase in Utah?
You live by the river, you die by the river

texscala

Post by texscala » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:07 pm

I love grouse hunting. You definitely can't beat the scenery. I think the elevation where you find birds all depends on the range you are hunting. I have seen blues and ruffs up around10,000 and also seen them much much lower.

One of my dreams is to hunt a spot and take a blue, chukar, and a ruffed before returning to the truck. I gave it a go this year and took a blue, missed the ruffed, and never saw a chukar. I tried the mountain the next week and found chukar in the spot tried earlier but missed them that time too. One year I will make it happen.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:17 am

[quote]/One of my dreams is to hunt a spot and take a blue, chukar, and a ruffed before returning to the truck.[quote]
Texscala , I had a day in north Idaho about 20 years ago when I went out and got what we called the "Clearwater Grand Slam" a pheasant, chukar, hun, valley quail and ruffed grouse. I was never able to do it again. The habitat and access decline have made it all but impossible today. But if you wanted you could probably get all five species of grouse within a week here in E. Idaho. I have shot sharptail, pheasant and ruffs in one days hunt here in the last five years.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:34 am

I live in western oregon. hunting grouse is like pond fishing if you go at the right time. drive up some old forest roads, park at a junction and walk up the spur roads. blues and ruffed every time. hubub about altitude difference and riparian preference is bull over here, just get on a ridge and you'll find both.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:36 am

We still have decent ruff grouse numbers in NW PA, especially in Crawford, Forest, and Venango Counties. That's what i plan on hunting primarily with my pup.

tumblingwings

Post by tumblingwings » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:29 am

Hunting blues is probably my favorite. But I prefer the hike in areas that nobody else goes to. The park and hunt areas always get hit hard, but are easily accessed.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:00 am

Over here, I hunt Ruffs as much as I can and I go into the woods before the nesting/brood and after hunting season season and work the dogs also. I don't know that we have a slam, but two years ago, I got my limit of grouse (4) 2 wood cock, two mallards a goose. Quite a day.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

smorley

Post by smorley » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:50 pm

So is that the only upland game you chase in Utah?
We have several kinds of grouse, limited Sharptail, Chucker, Huns, Pheasant, in some places we have Quail.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:30 am

I perfer to Hunted Ruffed Grouse more than any other bird! We have huntable populations in northern PA that I hunt often and I also take a yearly Pilgrimage to Northern Maine.