Do it yourself Texas hunting questions

luke0927

Do it yourself Texas hunting questions

Post by luke0927 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:36 pm

OK looking for some help from those who live in TX or hunt it reguarly.

I live in GA and want to take a trip this year...i went to south Dakota this past year and shot pheasant for the first time...this year i think i want to get after some covey birds either quail, huns etc....I'm expecting a new baby this spring so this and the economy may limit my distance to travel this year.

I have always heard TX has great quail hunting but what parts...is there good quail hunting on the eastern side of the state? how bad are the rattlesnakes is it really that big of a worry? what type of land is available is there a lot of public land or do you need to know someone who has private land? are bob whites the main bird to hunt in Texas?

thanks
Last edited by luke0927 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

romeo212000

Re: Texas hunting questions

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:25 pm

South and southwest texas are the places to go. There arent really any birds I am aware of on the east side of the state. Yes the main species is bobwhite, and yes you can find rattle snakes.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:44 am

you dont ever hear of people talking about going out on public land in Texas is there public land worth hunting?

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:46 am

South Tx has a good amount this year. I usually go out to west Texas though. It's a further drive but well worth it to get into birds. How are you wanting to hunt, by foot or on vehicles? Also, how many dogs do you want to hunt?

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:18 am

luke0927 wrote:you dont ever hear of people talking about going out on public land in Texas is there public land worth hunting?
Texas hunting is a who ya know kind of thing or how much $$$$$$ you want to spend. Good quail leases are guarded like a bank vault. The WMAs are there and have birds but you can spend a bunch of time and only find a few covies if you don't know where to look.

luke0927

Re: Do it yourself Texas hunting questions

Post by luke0927 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks i would be bringing 2 to 3 dogs and hunt by foot.

thanks aylaschamp.....thats what i was starting to think ive been searching around the web and it seems like everything is in a lease or a ranch...so you pay big $$$ or have to know someone which does 't work for me because i don't have either....maybe TX isn't right for me

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:25 am

There's only 5 weeks left in the season!!! Would you want to drive? PM'ing you.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:28 am

luke0927 wrote:maybe TX isn't right for me
Maybe not. Have you thought about flying? I have more than a couple friends (w/o 3 dogs unfortunately) that wait till the last second and hop flights to wherever for under $300 frequently. However the dogs could add that expense right back, as well as going to the trouble of getting the shotgun on board.
Keep it in the back of your mind, though. Don't look for package deals online, just call the airlines and ask them if they have anything going to Arizona tomorrow. They'll laugh, look down at their computer and say "oh yeah, looks like we have a cancel, $280 sound good?"
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:43 am

It will not be until next season before i can come out...its getting close to my wife's due date and i cant leave that far away....im trying to start researching and figure out where i want to hunt next season...i haven't tried to find the texas regulations yet...what are the season dates in TX

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:20 pm

Statewide (all counties) October 25, 2008-February 22, 2009

There are a bunch of leases that won't quail hunt before the end of deer season so you can pay a bunch of money for a lease that only allows you access for a few weeks.

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:51 pm

If you are hunting in South Texas, snake-proof you dogs. I don't go anywhere without snake boots either.

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:08 pm

reference Google Maps or some map. I live in San Angelo Texas, which we refer to as West Central Texas. Im dead smack in the middle of the stomping grounds of Blue's and Bob White's, I hunt public land owned by the city and there are long walks between covey's especially this year. Years past we had plenty of rain to see more. The walks where between birds. I did step on a snake for the first time this year, but it was water snake. I bought guarders first thing the next day. Ive been hunting this West Texas area, Panhandle Plains, and South Texas for as long as I could shoot a gun...They are deffinatly here, but the more rain the more birds... someone mentioned it earlier but, the big issue here in Texas is Private leases which will cost you, but the bad thing is that the majority of the season run through deer season and will only leave you these last few weeks afterwords since most ranches wont allow both, even on large properties. Im slowy finding out more about land from the TPWD that will allow this kind of hunting so when I know more, and see potential in the land then ill update more...
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:37 pm

Well my family owns land down on the Pandale River South west of Ozona, Texas........also We have land up by McCamey, Texas. :lol: I was born in Rankin so I can hunt pretty much wherever I want given my family knows the rancher/landowner...which is most around there. I can't wait to move back! . We have 4 windmills on our place south of Ozona,so the watering is good considering it is on the river also. and when I was there earlier this year, there were plenty of Quail not as many as usual but they were there, and a ridiculous amount of Doves. WESTTEXASREPUBLIC we need to get together this next year and go scare us some birds up!
Last edited by Russmill84 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm

A buddy of mine has a 3000 acre lease in snyder texas. I turkey hunted there this past spring. I seen a few quail there. They say that they have quite a few birds. I would like to go next year but like Luke my wife is due in march and she is having a few problems so this year is out for me also.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:01 pm

True south is holding good this year in spots. If ever any you you all want to meet up and have some fun let me know. Republic, I usually run around Sweetwater. There are some mighty fine ranches out that way. 3 yrs ago was the killer crop though.

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:40 pm

West Tx Pepub & aylaschamp I'm in San Angelo, have several thousand acres in Water Valley - - 30 min away.
I also grew up in Sweetwater, know it well...........

best,

B-

bradtown62@yahoo.com

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:58 pm

I don't live anywhere close to there but grew up out there in the summers. There's a trucking outfit out there that owned some land back in the day and leased it to A&M for research to develop Brangus cattle . We had a fun time growing up out there. I still manage to make the 8 hour trek as often as I can. Last time I was out I had a full bag and even got into some blues that held fairly well. I'm thinking about one more trip before the season ends.

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:36 am

I love sweetwater. I have family in sweetwater. That is some nice country bird hunting around there. I was actually out by colorado City, but still good hunting. We should try for a get together next season and go on a little bird hunting shindig! Would be fun. BRAD- Water Valley is a nice little place! Bet that land you got is some good bird land there!

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:06 pm

seems like we're thread jacking here a little bit, but maybe all these Texas guys have land, and making a friend out here is your best bet... back on topic heres a link to the forcast of how we're holding birds in the state this year. Use the link next year and it should be updated. I love our Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. they really get into conservation and public information to help hunting and fishing.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hu ... /forecast/
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Well all you big Texan land owners and those with land access when are you going to invite a fellow southern out for next season :lol:

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:28 am

After just returning from the Snyder area (W Tx), it is tough. Birds were way down in that area, VERY dry. We only moved 3-5 coveys from a morning and evening hunt. Temps were too hot to hunt middle day, I think it is colder now (that we have gone:)) A guy in S Tx said they have big numbers of quail, but I think that is just where they have had the rains. No snakes now, even as warm as it was last week, they are not out yet.
brenda

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:49 am

My Dad told me they had several great hunts this year in Crockett County along the river. Also he said the hunts up towards Ballinger and Winters were ok if you went out toward Elm Creek Resevoir.

pdubc3

Post by pdubc3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:47 am

Generally, east Texas does not have much quail, but I have heard of people with good quail leases up near Fort Worth.
The rattlesnakes are bad some times of the year in some parts of the state, like south Texas in the summer. I do snake avoidance training with my dogs and have been considering rattlesnake vaccine. I very rarely see snakes in south Texas in the winter.
I don't know of any public land that is any good. You pretty much need to know someone with land or a lease. South Texas is known for having a good quail population, but some parts of south Texas are better than others (like snips suggested, the areas with rain generally have more birds) and some years there is not many quail anywhere in south Texas. The last few years I have had lots of luck near Freer.

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 pm

I actually see more rattlesnakes in the winter than the summer. I think the reason are days like today, it's Febuary and in the mid-70's. The snakes are active in the summer but they hide in the brush and cactus and still can stay warm. On days like today they lay out in the open on the sand to warm up. They may be more dangerous in the summer but I see more in the winter.

Gary