Watch Your STEP!

westexasrepublic

Watch Your STEP!

Post by westexasrepublic » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:08 pm

Now that season started again, I thought Id share a story about last weekend. I was walking a field with my dog when the grass directly in front of me starts to move. Instead of being cautious I inadvertently turn into a brown little monkey named George and investigate with another step forward, when all of a sudden this huge snake picks its head up and looks right at me! Turns out luck God and fortune cookies where watching out for me. Snake turned out to be a harmless water snake, but boy did it put the fear in my eyes....

Anyway feel free to share your stories of similar encounters, and maybe even some helpful information and what you might have done different or ways that you prevented my unfortunate situation.

Hunt on, but be Cautious!,

Ruben
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

NVgsp

Re: Watch Your STEP!

Post by NVgsp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:42 am

Rueben, glad to hear nothin happened. those "bleep" things can sure get your heart goin...
when i was in high school, a buddy and i went up north of reno. we were out early from school and went to go see if we could find some quail. back then, i had a lab and so did he. about five minutes from the pickup i had to jump from one pile of rocks to another...probably only 4 feet...in mid stride a rattler started buzzin right between my legs...scared the piss out of me. i looked back and my lab, not knowing any better, did the exact same thing. luckily nothing happened, but i grabbed her and my buddies dog, while he went and shot it. turns out, another buzzed him on the walk to mine, so needless to say he busted his and mine. and get this...we started walking back to the pickup (on the road) and we came across a dead one on the road. 3 rattlers in a 15 min walk...NO thanks. hate those freakin satin creatures. gives me the willies just thinking about it.
Chris

fase3

Re: Watch Your STEP!

Post by fase3 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:04 am

We lost a min. Dachshund 2 yrs ago to a Cottonmouth moc. Had a close call with my GSP lady and a Copperhead. Now I am like the Blues Brothers and on a "Mission from God". I am trying to eradicate every viper here on this south La. farm. Harmless snakes(King snakes-etc) go in peace ! By the way I run into very few of the canebrake rattlers and they are not nearly as agressive as a Cottonmouth. Cottonmouths are born with a attitude problem.