WI 2008 Ruffed Grouse Season, Opening Weekend

Grange

WI 2008 Ruffed Grouse Season, Opening Weekend

Post by Grange » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:09 am

The weather was wet all weekend but that didn't dampen our spirits. My lab, Summit and I headed to our cottage Friday night with thoughts of bagging some grouse.

We rose early Saturday morning to a rain. I gave my dog some food and then fed myself some oatmeal as we waited for the rain to stop. After a while the rain let up but never quite quit. Oh well we packed up and headed down the road.

First spot was and area where we had success in the past.

Summit was ready to go.

We hunted the cover well, but didn't see much at all.

After a while we took a break at the bottom of a dry creek bed.

We weren't having luck so we moved to another spot. Summit began to hunt.

Once again we came up empty. We tried another area, but the rain came down heavier and forced us to call it a day early.

After a hearty meal of Chili John's Chili :love: I rested for the evening with my dog.

Sunday morning came and this time there was only a mist. I cleaned the cottage, grabbed my gear and followed Summit out the door. We tried a few more spots.

first spot was fairly unproductive. Only one flush and I never saw the bird. As we were leaving the area we came upon a nice buck.

With the cool sighting past us we decided to try a new area.

As we got further in the cover began to improve.

After one flush with no shot I was starting to get confident. Summit was out in front quartering perfectly when she stopped to my right. Now I generally don't call my dogs stops before the flush a point without using parenthesis, but this time it was an actual point.

Her tail was at the 10 o'clock postition and her head and neck were out stretched. I silently moved into a good position for a shot and then just watched her. After a short time to enjoying her point I told her to "hunt it up" and she ran forward about 20 feet and flushed the grouse.

The flush and shot happened quickly, but I can still vividly remember it. I could see the fanned out tail perfectly and took aim as I was swinging the barrels from right to left. As soon as I shot the bird went down and Summit was hot on its tail. No hesitation and she retrieved it to the heel position and to hand.

This entire sequence was what I had always dreamed about with my dog. From the perfect search to find to shot to retrieve. No doubt I will remember this one for a long time. :D

After another flush with no shot we tried another spot.

Even though we were wet Summit still went on.
This time we had a few flushes, but I couldn't connect. We also ran into several woodcock, which while not in season still provided plenty of entertainment for Summit.

The rain soon came down harder and forced us to quit for the day, but it was another memorable opening grouse hunting weekend with my dog. I hope to have many more.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: WI 2008 Ruffed Grouse Season, Opening Weekend

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:54 am

Nice! Looking forward to getting north. Did your dad join you or was he running in a trial?

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:19 am

He ran in his club trial on Saturday, and NSTRA on Sunday.

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:45 am

Nice story. :) Enjoyed my opener in WI as well...nothing like hunting with your buddy to make a day enjoyable.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:23 pm

KevinWI,

Saw your report in another thread. Sounds like you had a good weekend.

One question for you; were you hunting in the Point area or did you go further north?

I hunt the Wausau area quite a bit and am interested in what folks are seeing in northcentral WI.

TIA,
Dave

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Dave,

I was hunting near the Hayward area .... it's where I grew up so I know it well.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Hunted Northeast WI for the opener and it was hit or miss...typical early season where is you find one, you find three and then you go two hours between finds.

Saturday I moved 8 grouse and 4 woodies in 4 hours of hunting and Sunday morning brought a couple of false points by the pup and a couple of woodies pointed.

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:33 pm

I was also in the Hayward area one spot that usually has afew did not see any and Sunday went to the picture perfect Grouse area , but with the rain the birds weredeep and under the thick witch hazel, so the points were long so I'm triing to get close so alot flushed early on me and only had a shot on one. My dog pointed ten birds in the hour, and we werent in the reported heavy bird areas, it will be fun when the leaves are down.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:56 pm

Thank you for taking us on your hunt. We in Florida only get to dream of such hunts.

"bleep"
Dіck

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:06 am

we went on Sat morning only for about 4 hours. 3 guys 4 dogs. Lots of leaves.

Flushed probably 12-14 wookcocks, and more than a dozen grouse. had a couple of little points, but most birds were bumped.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:45 am

This weekend I'm stuck in town with family coming and a dog game to play, but I hope to get back up north next weekend.

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:24 am

Saturday we kicked up 28 Grouse (got our limit) and limit on Woodcock.Its suppose to start cooling down Friday with the high 70 so it shouldnt be so hard on the dogs....Cant wait to get back out there :)

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:22 pm

Opening day we tried a trout fishing walk in area by Crivitz. 1 point, 2 shots,1 bird. Thats all I saw all day.

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:49 pm

Hit the Park Falls, WI area for the 1st time on Thursday/Friday....wasn't any better there than my normal areas to hunt....mostly finding decent trails was tough.

Beautiful there though as I hit during peak color....of course the trails I hunt had little to no color just due to the cover...
Only had 9 flushes on Thursday. Shot two grouse and one woodcock....for awhile I couldn't miss...but then reality set in on Friday as my shooting I went 0/4 :lol:
Sat/Sun I went to hayward area and did a little jump shooting pothole hunting for ducks/geese and did ok.

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:45 am

OK, wisc hunters, last weekend, for the third time hunting in the national forest, I have had other hunters, tell me that I am on there private land, checked on a plat map that was not true, and cross examing me on where I live what I'm doing and on and on, being a woman hunting alone near my lake home near Hayward, be honest is it because I'm a women that they think they can intimidate me to leave" their area", and if I run into this attitude again in the national forest what would be your response to them?

mik

Post by mik » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:42 pm

if I run into this attitude again in the national forest what would be your response to them?

I would play stupid and friendly, I wouldn't get confrontational (doesn't sound as if you are).....Woods are plenty big for every one...too bad there are a few jacka@#'s out their...It sounds like they are trying to intimidate you if you've made sure you are on Public Land just ignore and move on....We get this once in awhile to (group of guys) during deer season...get some idiot that says "well I been up here 20 years what about you??" Yeah, us too.... Doesn't mater Public Property Jerk! Plenty for everyone....

if near their vehicles memorizes the plates and call it in when you have a phone available.....I would call it in anyway give a description or gps coordinates of area to County Sheriff, DNR, National Forest Ranger. If you get cell coverage when and where it's happening get your phone out and hit speed dial and report it right then and there...

Same area all 3 times?? If so, call authorities give them dates, times, descriptions of persons, and locations....They are there for Public Safety your tax dollars at work....

Good Luck hunting!

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:53 pm

Lots of private land intermingled in the National forest area. It's usually easy to tell as it's usually posted every 20 feet by some FIB that gets up there once a year.

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:15 am

If I was sure I was on public land I'd pull out my cell phone and say lets call the authorities and find out for sure. That's assuming you can get a signal.

Petra

Post by Petra » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:46 am

Going to lake 20 mi. east of Hayward this weekend, I'll see what happens, and your right no cell phone coverage, there is a man that lives close to there, that has been in that area all of his life and hunts, said that he would go out with me and see what the response is from any people we see with the both of us there. I love a nice day in the wisc. woods with only myself and my dogs, I don't want to let this put a bad tone on something that I love to do. Also he told me that he has met hunters on his land and keeps his mouth shut to see what happens and has had them tell him that he is on their land.

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:38 pm

Petra wrote:Going to lake 20 mi. east of Hayward this weekend, I'll see what happens, and your right no cell phone coverage, there is a man that lives close to there, that has been in that area all of his life and hunts, said that he would go out with me and see what the response is from any people we see with the both of us there. I love a nice day in the wisc. woods with only myself and my dogs, I don't want to let this put a bad tone on something that I love to do. Also he told me that he has met hunters on his land and keeps his mouth shut to see what happens and has had them tell him that he is on their land.

A lake 20 miles east of Hayward is the Chippewa Flowage....I grew up on that lake. Matter of fact, I'll be there this weekend to hunt up some ruffies.

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 am

I'm on Lost Land lake, and I've just been going into the national forest land. I was fortunate to be there two weekends with the peak of the leaf change with the blue sky and sun shinning, it was heaven, the wisc. woods are the best. The man who I met is the manager of Summit lake game farm, very nice, the game farm is beautiful, will prob. join next year, great price, and benifits. Good hunting to all of you in wisc. hunting this weekend!!!!

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:53 am

Petra and Kevin, good luck up there this weekend. I just came back last Sat. from hunting the Chem. Forest area...Hunted Sawyer and Price counties this past week/weekend. Overall I would say we did not see the birds we expected to. I had 16 flushes/5 points/2 kills on grouse and 3 woodcock flushes/1 kill on Thursday. On Friday during the steady rain we only had 9 flushes/1 point the entire day. Saturday 10 flushes/1 point in the wind. Again I do NOT think the bird numbers are what they think they are. We hit the Chem. Nat. Forest. Consolidated Paper land and private land. mostly from Hwy 70/Hwy B north and west of Hwy GG.

On a side note, MANY of the locals up there are telling us they feel the increase in turkeys has decreased their grouse numbers. Any validity to this...turkey vs. grouse for habitat?

Let me know how you do. We go as far west on B to Venison Creek and up to Moose River and across to GG. Maybe the weather will cooperate for you this weekend. Found a LOT of birds on edges and in the pines. Check out the Bucktail Bar/Rest. on Barker Lake if you get as far east as Hwy W off Hwy B. The owner is John and they have good food.

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:25 pm

PntrRookie You hunt some of the same areas as myself....I'll let you know how I do.

I don't get up by Hwy 77 to hunt very often as there is plenty down towards my area. But the LLL area is very beautiful and full of birds!
Last edited by Kevin WI on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petra

Post by Petra » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:45 am

BBack from Hayward area, still plenty of birds, but with the dry leaves and being hunted for awhile, the birds are acting like late season pheasants, can't get close even with my dog pointins from a distance, getting close was impossable for me, it may be time for hunting with a flushing dog and walking the trail and hope they flush your way, so now I will hope for a frost, rain or snow to quit the woods, and to let the pressure go down before I hunt again. How did everyone else do?

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:48 am

Well i found a new spot closer to home for me. A square mile of paper mill land. Way up north. Had lots of fun, lots birds. My dogs did terrible, no points, but my buddies britt had a couple points.

Saw more grouse on that square mile than anywhere else in the last 2 years. We had probably 20 or so flushes in 2-3 hours.

I also made it up to brule last week. we shot 3, but only saw 5/6 flushes i think. Not as many birds as i had hoped. I haven't grouse hunted up there with a dog ever, only deer hunted, so it may just be me.

Backup up to the topic of turkeys and grouse. i have heard that they are terrible for grouse as well. I hear that they eat the grouse eggs, and run the grouse out of any area they are in. Anyone know if this is true or not? I do know that they are everywhere in ashland, bayfield counties now. The DNR is putting them in for some unknown reason. I would assume so that they can sell licenses.

I have also heard that they want you to shot any porcupines you come accross. Is that true? Something about they harm the trees. Any truth to that? I have seen my share of them as well this year.

Petra

Post by Petra » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:22 am

I asked about the turkeys because the numbers are huge with a man who has lived and hunted birds in the area for forty years and he said the turkeys have been planted by the DNR for license fees , and the turkeys peck at the chicks(grouse) just because they peck at everything, when I drive along hwy 77 east of hayward the numbers along the road are amazing, everyone get your turkey!!!!

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:33 am

Just a word of warning, I just got back from Wisconsin and those areas you guys are mentioning have been sighted for wolves of late. A friend of ours had the GSP get torn up last week by a wolf, and had the dog not been huge, the wolf would have easily killed it.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Petra wrote:BBack from Hayward area, still plenty of birds, but with the dry leaves and being hunted for awhile, the birds are acting like late season pheasants, can't get close even with my dog pointins from a distance, getting close was impossable for me, it may be time for hunting with a flushing dog and walking the trail and hope they flush your way, so now I will hope for a frost, rain or snow to quit the woods, and to let the pressure go down before I hunt again. How did everyone else do?
man did you say it right....Saturday in Hayward we flushed up 25 birds in 3 hours....I got one shot/one kill luckily...I don't know how I hit that bird...the rest were getting up so far away and deep it was unreal how weary the birds were....and I do have a flushing dog.
Friday evening I only hunted one trail near Phillips on the way up and flushed 3 birds at the gate...that was it.

Sunday was a bit windier....I didn't see a bird in about 3 hours of hunting mid morning.

Petra

Post by Petra » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:35 am

Kevin do you know of the exact location of the wolf attack, I saw wolf pups the opening weekend alond hwy 77 about 10 mi. east of Hayward, I'll also contact the DNR and see if it was reported.

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:59 am

I never heard a thing about a wolf attack, and that type of gossip is usually all over the taverns up there.

I've only seen one wolf, and that was during deer season two years ago off Hwy B.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:04 am

Well , I saw the dog and I saw the wolf. That wolf had that 70 lb. GSP down 3 times befire bud could break away and get to us. It was so quick that we only saw the wolf when it ran off. I have pictures of the dogs wounds somewhere. It had 5 punture wounds to the neck, a ripped up ankle, and a torn sack where the wolf went to neuter him.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:32 pm

Didn't say I didn't believe ya....just replied to Petra who asked me if I had heard about it....

Here's a list of reported cases in WI this year so far...mostly bear hounds.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/er/ ... depred.htm

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:56 pm

i know wolves are generally not found alone, but hypothetically speaking, do you think there is a bird dog that would have a chance at a wolf one on one? has anyone ever heard of wolf getting killed by a dog? i know wolves are wild and have a killer instinct but strange things happen sometimes. looking through the last couple years on that link doesn't look like many bird dogs are victims though.

Kevin WI

Post by Kevin WI » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Like the article states...during the summer the hounds are let loose sometimes miles from the handlers and the wolves see them as #1 a predatory threat to their pups and #2, competition for food. Our bird dogs for the most part are kept in very tight control, so the odds are slight that a pack would hunt one down, especially with us very nearby....but if your birddog gets away and starts chasing deer or rabbits....then it's a different game....that's why my pup always runs with an electronic training collar...(no...not the ones that beep and drive me nuts! :lol: )