A guy, a dog and some memories...

Kevin WI

A guy, a dog and some memories...

Post by Kevin WI » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:37 am

A story I thought I'd share with all of you.

Took my pup out for his first grouse hunt last fall in Northern WI. At the time I think he thought we were just out for a stroll, but after the gun sounded for the first time he got the hang of what we were doing pretty fast and started working the cover.
He put up 17 grouse and one woodcock and we ended up with 4 in the bag by 11:30.
It was sort of a surreal experience because as I was headed down this trail where Montana (My older Golden that had just passed away) flushed and retrieved her first grouse years before, I started thinking about that day and started smiling...a minute later Storm took a turn into the balsams and the woods erupted with birds...got 3 from that covey. I think she was with us that day.:) Anyways it was a good morning all around and a memory I will not soon forget.....Isn't this what it's all about? :D

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: A guy, a dog and some memories...

Post by wems2371 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for the story. That's got to be a great feeling to go out with a puppy and have that kind of success. Hoping to have that with my first gundog next season. Something to look forward to. Denise

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:42 pm

Great story and picture, thanks for sharing.

Mav......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:14 pm

It is indeed what its all about! Nothin like watching a dog do what he was born & bred to do!

I still remember Zoomie's first point on his own (not a planted bird). He was trotting along a row of trees, & all of a sudden WHAM! He turns 90 degrees on a dime & locks up like a statue!! I don't know who was more excited, man or dog! I don't even remember if I got that bird, but I'll NEVER forget that point!! :D :D

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Great memory, nice looking dog!